• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere for Genealogy Project Import and use vintage video Firewire

New Here ,
Dec 27, 2022 Dec 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My son just purchased Adobe Suite to use on a school project.  We had a VERY old edition from 1998. Wow have things changed!  He is ordering a computer to use for his project.  Back in the day we installed a video card and interface that allowed us to use firewire to import video.  Do computers have firewire ports these days? Is this something that is still an option to install an after market port?

We have multiple video tapes he will need to import. High 8 - Sony DVCam - mini hd - Does the current Premiere support importing these formats?

TOPICS
Editing , Formats , Hardware or GPU , Import , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Modern day laptop, desktops do not have firewire.

I have a custom desktop with a FireWire card specially installed to capture VHS (via hdv camera), D8 , mini DV and HDV with Premiere.

If the DVCam has analog in you can connect the high 8 and capture with firewire (you dont need a capture card as in the old days).

Mini Hd? What is that? Or do you mean HDV.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for responding. What card do you use for firewire? He's looking at a laptop and I'm wondering if one could be installed in the laptop. Back in the day I used a desktop and had the card installed in the desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

VIA 1394 OHCI compliant host controller

Dont think they will fit in a laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My son just purchased Adobe Suite to use on a school project. ...  Is this something that is still an option to install an after market port?

By @Honey27720750ptlu

What did he order?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the one I added in late 2021:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q2G79QG?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details

The trick is what type of mainboard slot do you need, and do you have one? I agree with Ann; not likely for a laptop.

PR capture worked okay, but back in the day I switched to using ScenalyzerLive; still worked the last time I tried it. I just opened it; no problem. But I have not captured for a year or so. Still using Win10. Andreas Winter, the developer, now provides it for free. But yes, it requires firewire.
http://www.scenalyzer.com/

For this machine, I was going for a new desktop. I read numerous cautions about converters that would hook firewire to various input ports. I was never convinced any of them would work. I'd consider a used computer with firewire or a slot I could use. The capture process only has to keep up with the camera playback. And its SD!

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

basically the answer is no, you can't do that stuff anymore via your old methods or any new ones.

start thinking about 'PLAYING' the video you want to capture and use a camera to record the screen you can see it on ( tv, etc. ) You can crop later to make it more clean looking re: PAR ( 720 x 480, to 720p or 1080p etc. )...with black bars on top bottom left right etc.

That technology is long gone ( what you did before ). Think about displaying it if you can and just shoot it with current camera....

Then edit that stuff via usual current conditions ( cleaning it up and doing the best you can to make it look nice etc. )

today everything is basically 16:9 so just deal with that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines