• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere freezes during autosave

Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2019 Jul 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey group, I have an incredibly frustrating issue that's been occurring on some of my projects.

I have autosaves set for every 5 minutes. If the autosave window pops up while I'm mid-task, like pressing the space bar to play back, clicking to make a cut, or doing any sort of navigation, Premiere will instantly lock up. I'm on a Mac, so I get the spinning wheel, the autosave never completes, and Premiere hangs indefinitely.

I'm regularly editing in a crunch with a need to move quickly, and I find that this happens incredibly often -- currently occurring once or twice an hour while working, and as the project size increases, this gets worse. The only solution is a force quit, praying that the previous autosave was recent (I find that the autosaves are often not truly saving every 5 minutes) or that I manually saved not long ago. Between this current project and other projects, I've lost hours of work.

Why not just turn off autosaves and save manually, you ask? I've also experienced such freezes when I'm saving manually. For some reason, I find that deselecting all assets on my timeline seems to lessen the likelihood of a crash during manual saves. But who knows, this could also be superstition.

Context:

• I'm working on a project that's referencing about 250 GB of content.
  • My machine is an iMac Pro, running Mojave, with 32 GB 2666 MhZ DDR4 ram.
  • I'm using proxies. And my playback is at 1/2 quality.
  • I'm referencing about 20 simple AE comps through dynamic link.
  • I have some audio effects applied to clean up interview audio, including compressors and Izotope tools. Problems began not long after beginning to apply, but I'm not sure if it's related.
  • I have also done some color correction to the assets using Lumetri.
  • The sequences I'm playing back are no longer than 4 minutes.
  • I've reset permissions on all Adobe folders, and applied those changes to all enclosed items.
  • I've tried migrating to a fresh project.

Perhaps unrelated?

• I've also had an issue with crashing during timeline playback, unprompted by anything. The timeline audio will continue to play, and if I have loop playback enabled, it will loop indefinitely, spinning wheel spinning away, and Premiere will not unlock without a forced quit.
  • Projects that show these symptoms also tend to take a long time to open. Once I click a project to open it, the loading project status window will pause when the status bar is at about 75%, and take 5+ minutes to open from there for this particular project. On a previous project, where I was referencing a substantial amount of content (2+ TB), this stage would take 20 minutes.

In conclusion, I'm on my 20th version of this particular project. Each copy has been created because of a crash where I've lost work, and each one gets me closer to flipping my desk and tossing my machine out the window. If anyone has ideas, I'm all ears.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Dec 03, 2022 Dec 03, 2022

Absolutely sucks. It really breaks your concentration and workflow, and you're always on edge and tense waiting for it to happen... almost like ptsd. It's no way to work. Editing should be fun and enjoyable.

There is a temporary solution (though it's not a great one). 

> Import your whole project into a fresh one. Normally works

> Break it into smaller projects. Definately works

It mainly starts happening once the project file goes above 50-60mg approx. This seems to be key. Premiere projects tend

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exact same thing is happening to me 😞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is user to user forum where we users help each other. The Adobe engeneers do not always read everything here. If you feel strongly about a (new)feature or (bug) fix please post it on uservoice, as it will be read by the engeneers.
https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still happening in 2022.  Adobe is just so incredibly frustrating at times.  Premiere is the most buggy mess you could possibly imagine.  Doesn't matter the computer, the version of software, mac or pc it just isn't good.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this exact same issue. Especially if autosave pops up if I'm pressing the space bar or something, then I know I'm screwed and I lost the last 5-10 minutes of work. Again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2022 Dec 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Absolutely sucks. It really breaks your concentration and workflow, and you're always on edge and tense waiting for it to happen... almost like ptsd. It's no way to work. Editing should be fun and enjoyable.

There is a temporary solution (though it's not a great one). 

> Import your whole project into a fresh one. Normally works

> Break it into smaller projects. Definately works

It mainly starts happening once the project file goes above 50-60mg approx. This seems to be key. Premiere projects tend to get bigger and bigger the more you do... almost like it's keeping a log of every edit you've made.

Importing into a fresh one seems to clear out a lot of shite and clutter.

Not great, but at least you can get on with your work, and relax and enjoy it.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines