Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Generated Captions Causing YouTube to Glitch

Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

We exported our 608 captions to an SRT file and then uploaded to YT. Our captioner is trying to edit the less than perfect auto-generated captions that Premiere made. However, the captions are making YT to glitch and crash. When they try to edit the captions that YT generates it works fine.... I know this is half a YT question, but would appreciate anyone's expertise.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Crash , Editing , Error or problem , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

608 in PR, export SRT. Then captioner edit, and import to YT? Or import to YT and editing in YT?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, yes, that's what we're doing... 608 in PR, exporting to SRT, then importing them into YT and using their editor to fix them up. That's making YT glitch and crash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2022 May 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked at your srt file. I don't see anything that should cause problems, but...

I looked at the srt with Subtitle Edit (free), and it shows 3 types of errors; none of which should cause problems: overlapping timecodes, short lines, and long captions (but only 3 and only 8 seconds).

PR previously and in the new workflow sets the ending timecode as the frame after the caption. (If you go to that timecode, you don't see the caption. One frame back and you do.) SubtitleEdit flags these as "overlapping display time," and fixes them by reducing the ending timecode by one millisecond. (That doesn't seem quite right to me, because the one frame before would be more than one millisecond. But SE doesn't have to then calculate the milliseconds, which vary based on framerate.)

But Youtube happily imports the PR srt, so I don't think this should cause problems.

You can use SE to fix the overlapping timecode to see if that helps. But if Youtube has some problem, it will still have a problem. I would consider using SE to retime the stream. It has great tools for doing so, but there would be a learning curve.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2022 May 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for taking the time to take a look at it. I'll check out that program. Have a great day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let us know if you learn anything more about the Youtube glitching.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stan is the expert on all things captions here and he's been a great help to me...  I've been using SE to massage captions/subtitles. and when I had an issue, the guy who wrote SE was very helpful...    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is SE available on MAC? It didn't look like it was, so I downloaded Jubler... haven't tested it out yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no, I'm pretty sure it's windows only.  There may be a web-based version.   If you're doing extensive caption/subtitle work, it might be wortwhile to pick a cheap used windows machine...  I've been working on a restoration of a documentary from the 80's and we had a screening at Lincoln Center in NYC which also had a streaming option.  There were about 26 captions that the director wanted to be placed at the top of the screen.  Took extensive testing to figure out how to do it and SE was a crucial part of that process...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry; always forget SE is Win only.

Let us know how Jubler works; I haven't tested for a while.

Aegisub was mentioned by some Mac users, but limited formats.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines