• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere imports only 1 second of .mov and I can't view the original file anymore

New Here ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an issue importing a big (17GB) .mov file into Premiere. It only shows the first 1 second, although the original is 2.5 minutes long. The video clip is recorded via game engine Unity Recorder. 

On the forum I read Handbrake might be a workaround, but I can't transcode it due to max 2GB file upload limit. The worst part is, now even Quicktime doesn't play the original length, but only the first second. The file size is still 17GB even though only the first second is played. It is a part of my graduation work and the rendering took long, so it is a serious issue for me if the original file is now destroyed. 

Screenshot 2021-06-03 at 15.37.00.png

One second video in Premiere.

Screenshot 2021-06-03 at 15.45.20.png

 Info via Macbook "Get Info".

Here's the info of my video file (via Premiere):

File Path: /Users/karoliinaparnanen/Documents/KABK_Spring_2021/GraduationUnity/SmartCitySeparateScenes/Recordings/Exec1-Introcopy.mov

Type: QuickTime Movie

File Size: 17,03 GB

Image Size: 3840 x 1080

Frame Rate: 30,00

Total Duration: 00:00:01:00

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1,0

Alpha: None

Color Space: Rec. 709

Color Space Override: Off

Input LUT: None

QuickTime Details: Movie contains 1 video track(s), 0 audio track(s), 0 closed caption track(s), and 0 timecode track(s).

Video: There are 30 frames with a duration of 1/30th.

Video track 1: Duration is 0:00:01:00 Average frame rate is 30,00 fps Video track 1 contains 1 type(s) of video data: Video data block #1: Frame Size = 3840 x 1080 Compressor = Apple ProRes 4444 XQ Quality = Most (5,00)

TOPICS
Formats , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

It agrees with all the rest of gathered info: clip is but 1 second long. Nothing to do with Premiere.

I don't think Prores 4444 XQ was a very wise choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac info also says the file is 1 second long.

Post screenshot of clip in Mediainfo and post outcome in treeview here on forum.

MediaInfo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the Mediainfo. Hope this gives some valuable info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It agrees with all the rest of gathered info: clip is but 1 second long. Nothing to do with Premiere.

I don't think Prores 4444 XQ was a very wise choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which one of the following Codec Formats would be the best to use in the future?

Screenshot 2021-06-03 at 16.56.51.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Prores 422 or even Prores 422 LT for simple projects.

- Dragged into Preview window in Premiere and only 1s was visible.

- Went back to Quicktime, where the file still played normally.

Quicktime is a player, Premiere is an editing program: big difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also tried encoding with Terminal ffmpeg, which produced some errors that hint that the file might be corrupt. The actions I took when the file broke:

- Imported to Premiere

- Dragged into Preview window in Premiere and only 1s was visible.

- Went back to Quicktime, where the file still played normally.

- Went back to Premiere and the file was still visible only for 1s. Tried redragging it into the Premiere Preview.

- Went back to Quicktime and only 1s was visible anymore.

- No saving, exporting or anything was done, only Premiere and Quicktime open at the same time.

Screenshot 2021-06-03 at 16.22.47.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I don't know if it's possible but can you rencode half of the file in QT player , let's say in ProRes 422 or any other codec and try to open it in Premiere Pro ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your tip! Actually my problem was solved when going back to the standard H.264 codec.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines