• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere is making my footage more saturated and have more contrast. All Mac desktops but not laptop

Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue:

When footage is brought into premiere and (unedit/unaltered) is compared side by side with the original file in finder (quicktime) - the image looks to have more contrast as well as more saturation. It exports this way and the file is changed forever. 

This is an issue I have known existed since 2018 when I had my iMac Pro. I got rid of that machine and premiere has worked fine on my Macbook Pro since, but now I got my Mac Pro yesterday and got er up and running... guess who came back to play? You guessed it. 

What I have tried that worked:

The only thing I can find works is taking the footage and running it through compressor. Then then everything looks and works great. But that is a huge pain and takes up a LOT of storage.

image.jpeg

Picture: *Clip on the left is quicktime and the right is the same file sitting in a sequence in premiere.

The Footage:

This seems to happen only with .mp4 footage, but it happened with C200 .mov footage back in 2018. Since testing the last few days, only .mp4 has been the proble.

Footage was captured across several cameras including R6, C200, 1DX MkII, EOS R, and 5D IV

Footage is both 4K and 1080p

The Computer(s):

Issue persists on Mac Pro (3.2 GHz 16-Core Intel Xeon W - AMD Radeon PRO W6800X 32 GB - 32GB 2933 MHz DDR4) and iMac Pro. I also tried it on another friend's Mac Pro and he had the same issue. 

Issue does not persist on Macbook Pro

Weird things to note:

I updated this morning and launched premiere, everything looked fine until the peak files were generated, then the issue presented itself.

The issue was not consistent after update and with new footage. I would scrub through the footage and when I release the cursor the issue would go way for a moment, then return. Almost like the contrast was flashing or being enabled and disabled. 

All software is up to date and I have tried in prior versions of premiere. 

I have taken the same file and opened in on my Macbook and the issue persists. 

I have tried calibrating the display

I have tried different displays

Stuff I don't know about:

I read something that said there’s a bug in Adobe products with a .mp4 video file that has a 0-255 luminance range a 8bit. I feel like some of my footage has been .mov so I don't know if it would hold true and since this issue has been around since 2018 I feel like Adobe should have addressed it by now. 

PLEASE GIVE ME SOMETHING TO TRY. I have no idea where to go from here. I will go down whatever rabbit trail you think might help. 

TOPICS
Editing , Formats , Import , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 04, 2021 Sep 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

your suspicions were correct. I checked the metadata in all three.

there's 3 problems in each, wrong color range, wrong ID# and wrong profile level.

uppercase - color range full id (1) avc1 high 4.1
lowercase - color range limited id (2) high 4
rendered - color range limited id (1) l 4.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what's that mean for us layman? I'm screwed? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. did you try exiftool.org or bbc qtff-parameter-editor? they are used professionally by the BBC.

2. autokroma plumepack aftercodecs integration

3. also, i haven't tested if iwltbap would be able to burn in the lut change. but its worth investigating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines