• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere is taking forever to open my project.

Explorer ,
Oct 03, 2018 Oct 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey group. I'm experiencing an issue with some (but not all) of my Premiere projects where Premiere takes 15 minutes or more to open the project.

The "Open Projects" task bar will load to about 75%, then hang, with the cursor remaining a spinning wheel throughout.

Once the project is open, copying or moving items in the Project window will also cause a freeze and a spinning wheel for 5+ minutes. If I happen to be hitting a keyboard shortcut or clicking my mouse when an Autosave begins, Premiere will freeze and never recover, and the Autosave will never complete.

What I've tried so far:

• Trashed preferences

• Trashed "Media Cache" and "Media Cache Files" folder contents

• Trashed "Video Previews" and "Captured Audio" files

• Transferred project contents to new project (I'm not sure if this is any help, but thought it worth a try)

Does anyone know of anything else I could try?

A few details for background:

• I'm on an iMac Pro, running Premiere Pro CC 2018 (v12.1.2) on Mojave OS

• This major slowdown has occurred on two of my last four projects.

• The project is referencing about 500 GB of content. I've completed a project with twice as much content without a problem.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 03, 2018 Oct 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creating a new project and importing assets from this one, how did that work?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 08, 2018 Oct 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil, I've tried creating a new project and copying sequences over, then re-importing or re-organizing media assets.

Unfortunately the lag persists, seemingly as soon as the new sequences are added. Even copying and pasting these sequences will take a few minutes, spinning wheel present throughout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 08, 2018 Oct 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is with some assets but not with others, as you report.

I wonder which assets are giving PrPro fits. With that amount of ... stuff ... that might be hard to test, except for creating a new project, slowly adding one type or origin of asset and doing a bit of testing, adding another ... to find where it breaks.

That can be time-consuming if you don't hit it quickly though.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2019 Feb 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still having these issues. Granted my project is a big one, but the Windows 10 computer I'm on is brand new and a beast with the hardware specs. Should not be giving me any issues, seems like an Adobe issue, all I get is a spinning wheel and the 'Not Responding' message.

Again the computer is only a week old so I don't even have any cache files to get rid of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 30, 2018 Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jarrett,

Did Kevin's suggestion work? I'm super curious.

-Caroline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2019 Jul 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin and Caroline, I apologize for a very long delay in response. I've tried Kevin's suggestion regarding changing permissions on all files. It didn't solve the problem for me. I've created a new discussion focused specifically on crashing during saves. But the problems I've listed still persist for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issues on Windows. I would say approximately 20% of my editing time is loading the project, watching it crash, reloading. It would be great for Adobe to find some way of accurately opening the project and indicating the actual time it takes to load. I appreciate they want to make it look like its a fast loading application, however as professionals I am not interested in fast loading - I am interested in accuarate and honest information so I can work clearer. Watching the little bar in the bottom corner hang for 20 minutes does not make our day particularly calm. One thing I can say that does help, is ensuring your media conformed to one file type (avoid .h264). Do not use Adobe Dynamic Link. (or use it to export the timeline then immediately delete teh linked sequence from within Premiere) or swap to Resolve. Much faster work. Though still prone to the occassional crash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One detail to mention. For me this problem of taking forever to open certain projects happens only on the later versions 2023.1,.2,.3. When I roll back to version 2023.0, then it is all fine!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines