• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere lag spike while clicking "file" drop down in toolbar.

Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I click the "file" dropdown (at the top, next to edit) there is a 10-15 second delay before the options appear. Very strange glitch, and all of premiere becomes laggy after it occurs. All other aspects of premiere work smoothly until I click on file. All of the options in the file dropdown also lag. It takes about 45 seconds to go File > export. 

Computer: Eluktronics Mag15, designed by intel. 

- I'm on windows 10, intel i7 4ghz, 64gb ram, gtx 2070maxq, and an SSD so specs should not be an issue. All files are local. 

More info:

- I have tried the past three versions of premiere and all have the same issue on this computer. 

- After effects and other adobe products run smoothly. 

- I have tried just about every setting in premiere to try to fix (ram allocation, graphics card use, etc) and it doesnt change. 

- I have reinstalled windows and drivers. 

- All of premiere becomes laggy after I access the file dropdown until I either restart the software, or open another application, then go back to premiere. 

- This issue only occurs when footage is in the timeline. Does not occur with an empty timeline. 

- I have tried prores, mp4, and avi footage at various resolutions. All have the same issue.

Update (not a solve): I did a 5 hour after effects render yesterday, and openned premiere afterwards. The dropdown magically went from a 10 second delay to only 2 seconds (not perfect, but actually livable). I thought it was fixed, was overjoyed, restarted my computer, and the problem returned. This leads me to believe there must be some kind of graphics, disk or CPU adjustments happening internally that was maxed out for a heavy render? No idea, but I havent been able to replicate the fix after that. 

Help! I know it sounds like a small issue, but its super disruptive to have to restart the software every time I access something in the file settings. 

TOPICS
Freeze or hang , Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 29, 2022 Jan 29, 2022

FOUND THE FIX!!! 

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/41383285-slow-file-menu

Pat Finnegan commented  ·  May 16, 2021 7:06 AM  ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adobe should really do something about this, and my fix confirms that it's a glitch that's been going on for quite a while. Here's the fix that worked for me.

Short answer if you just want the fix:

Edit>Preferences>Devices: Change Devices selection to "None."

Longer answer (in case Adobe can use this to finally fi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a mac, but just wondering if disconnecting the computer from the internet or any other network could make a difference and you might also try disconnecting any peripherals besides a mouse and keyboard (yeah, I know you'll need a media drive but for troubleshooting try working with a media file on your startup drive) ?  Is this something that's always occured or is this a recent development?  If a recent development, have you installed any new apps or OS updates or installed any new hardware internally?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just gave disconnecting the internet a try. Same thing unfortunately. All my files are internal at the moment, and I'm working off a laptop. 

Its a brand new computer, so this is my first run with premiere on it. I'll post a link to the comp in the main entry. I'm hesitant to return the computer for this one issue, as everything is working well (and I spent a week getting everything transferred over and set-up). 

One update: I did a 5 hour after effects render yesterday, and openned premiere afterwards. The dropdown magically went from 10 seconds to open to only 2 (not perfect, but actually livable). I thought it was fixed, was overjoyed, restarted my computer, and the problem returned. This leads me to believe there must be some kind of graphics, disk or CPU adjustments happening internally that was maxed out for a heavy render? No idea, but I havent been able to replicate the fix after that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might try deleting (trashing) your preferences setting PP back to stock. Here's the keys:

Press Alt (Windows) or Option (Mac OS) while launching Premiere Pro. You can release the Alt key or Option key when the splash screen appears.

Here's a video: 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-how-to-reset-trash-preferences-in-premiere-pro/td-p/...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply! Didn't know it was that easy to return to default - cool tip. Unfortunately it didnt fix the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2022 Jan 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You ever find the fix? This issue been happening to me recently out of no where

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've not seen this, nor many comments about it. It's very likely that it's something on your system triggering that. I've seen similar things, just windows things... for instance when an open recent type menu has an entry on a drive that is no longer connected. Other strangeness when having a head-up display going, say for a graphic card or to show FPS or temps. Did you try resetting your prefs, noted above. That removes the recents list. The original poster said he reinstalled Windows. That's drastic, but I've been down that road before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive also reinstalled windows and it was working fine for a few hours till i got deep into editing then it started to happen again. its real odd. I went to support to see if they had any idea, had them take over my computer and everything and they couldnt figure it out as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you install anything else in between trying it and the few hours?

I once had to reinstall windows to get rid of some bizarre problem, then it was gone when I clean installed and just installed the problem program. Then I thought I had it and started adding everything back and kept trying the problem after each thing and it seemed gone. Fortunately I tried it again after installing a printer driver, and sure enough, it happened again, I got rid of it and it was OK. So, found a different driver and chalked up the three days to... uh... @%#!! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

besides music nothing as in programs or anything heavy. I FOUND WHAT CAUSES IT. If im in the project window (where all the files are on the bottom left if using the default layout. NO LAG SPIKE. but if any other windows are highlighted then i get the lag spike. I posted a video confirming. Also i had my mic on so disregard the audio im too lazy to re record it lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, good find. When you had the timeline selected and click file, it seemed in conclusive as you put the mouse over File again and then it opened. Does it just need a second click? Also, I would try displaying your project in LIST form and do the tests.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It goes unresponsive no more then a minute as if it crashed but if i wait long enough it comes back and the file menu finally opens but if i want to open any sub menu's in the file menu it does it again. Also i changed it to list form and same thing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll have to use your workaround for now. Keep an eye on this thread... etc. In the meantime if you like:

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

User Voice is where the Adobe engineers look for bug reports, enhancement requests, etc. The urgency for bug reports or new features can be judged by how many of us users upvote the requests. You can search for similar requests using the search feature at the lower right. It's best to upvote a request that has some traction (votes) already, and you can upvote and reply to that thread. If you don't find one the matches your request, then enter a new one. Regardless, post a link back here so those seeing this thread can upvote also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FOUND THE FIX!!! 

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/41383285-slow-file-menu

Pat Finnegan commented  ·  May 16, 2021 7:06 AM  ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adobe should really do something about this, and my fix confirms that it's a glitch that's been going on for quite a while. Here's the fix that worked for me.

Short answer if you just want the fix:

Edit>Preferences>Devices: Change Devices selection to "None."

Longer answer (in case Adobe can use this to finally fix the issue):

I had a feeling it might have something to do with enumerating disks or other devices before the menu opens. Eventually, I went to Edit>Preferences>Devices to see what settings were available and there wasn't much. I don't use a capture device so I set Devices to "None." To my great joy, that fixed the issue. Here's the weird thing though. I went to document my solution and noticed that the change didn't "take." The Devices setting was back to [Path]HDV Device Control. But the File menu issue was still resolved. The resolution remained persistent after a restart of Premiere and seems permanent, at least for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very good! 🙂

Yes, that thread confirms all the things you were seeing. Well done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

clearly, not a lot of people are experiencing this problem, so I'm wondering what is causing it...  Are you working with multiple monitors?  This has caused problems for some people but shouldn't be a problem... But kudos to you for working this out and posting your solution/workaround.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes im currently using 3 monitors. I can test using one and ill update you guys on here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, running on an iMacPro with Catalina and having this same problem.  My delay is more like one to two seconds but its on EVERY click menu on the display.  Maddening.  Tried your fix with no improvement.  Was your fix permanent?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah ever since I've not ran into this issue. Until they patch it, this will be the only work around

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same problem and this fixed it. I honestly thought it was because I had a capture card on my motherboard, but idk. I'm using 2 monitors as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Super helpful! I was having the exact same issue, and this fixed it perfectly. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your fix with the devices to none fixed mine great job! I went through support a month ago even spoke to some higher up support team and we were all stuck and I just left it until I found your post !💪🏾

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So happy I found this fix because as of today, 6/2/2022, yes, 2022, Adobe has still not corrected the problem and it was taking up to 20 seconds for the File menu drop down to appear. I'm running version 22.4.  Really Adobe??!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, thank you!    I've been struggling with laggy File dropdown for a long time and it's been driving me nuts.    Did the Edit>Preferences>Device Control...None   thing and I'm shocked.  IT WORKED.   Thank you and your big brains.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines