I'm creating SRT files within Premiere, however I'm having an issue with one specific video where it's not exporting the full length of the captions. When I import the caption file into premiere to check it, it stops about 20 minutes short of where it should be. I looked at my other timeline and I have my in and out points set correctly, and I haven't done anything differently than other times when I created CC.
Premiere Pro Version 22.2
Source footage is mp4
No error messages received
Sorry for this weird issue. Is it possible to test with a different clip? If that does not work, try a test in a brand new project. These tests are because I'm trying to find out if it is a bug with the application or with your project. Please report back and create a thread with your findings if you have a moment.
I'll test on my side when I have a moment. Sorry for the frustration.
One user had a suggestion that may be of value:
"You might try deleting the caption that won't export beyond, then create a new one and paste the text. Even though the text formatting was fine, the caption itself must have been corrupt when the .srt failed to export beyond."
However, the editor was utilizing the previous captions workflow from version 14.9 and earlier. Worth a try, though. I wish you luck!
Hey Kevin, just tried your suggestion but it looks like I'm experiencing the same issue. I should note that there are a series of numbers that premiere included after my file names. My first one reads "Dean Kamen.12324.18720.srt" and the second one reads "Dean Kamen new proj test.26280.7924.srt". They both cut off at the same point of the video.
Sorry for the frustration, as this should not be happening. I could not reproduce your error, I'm afraid. I tried! The numbers are not there, so that is an anomaly I am not experiencing. What is the format of the source file? If replacing their captions did not help in your test, perhaps the clips are the things causing the issue. You can also contact support and ask for the video queue for a possible solution. They are available M-F, 7 AM to 7 PM PST. Hope we can help!
Amber, I believe you have an "empty" caption as the last caption that exports/reimports to your project. I get the same odd filename (regular filename + period and 5 digits + period and 5 digits + file extension .srt) if I add a caption and do not type anything in it. PR puts "New Caption" in it, and actually exports that new caption, but nothing after that.
Some users have workflows where they want to have captions as placeholders (e.g. empty or with just a space); PR will not allow that. If you delete the "New Caption" (or other entry if you added text), PR puts "<Type your caption here>". In that case, when you export, PR does not export the "type here" caption, and nothing further.
I have found that the "New Caption" text sometimes breaks things, and other times not.
In any event, if you don't intend for there to be empty captions, just find them and delete. If you want placeholders, add a period or similar - spaces (regular or nonbreaking) don't work.
Looks like a pesky empty caption was the problem after all. Thank you so much!
Excellent! Glad you got it sorted.
This is the first time I've EVER had issues with the captioning engine inside PP. Yesterday I was trying to take notes from a Podcast and I thought, "Why not upload the mp3 file into PP and let PP build the captions and then I can download the transcript." It sounded like an amazingly simple fix. Unfortunately, as other users have mentioned, it stopped the captioning a little before half of the total sequence. For my project, PP stopped captioning at 20;16;00 of a 51;00;00 podcast.
I tried creating a completely new project...failed. Now, when I try to do captioning it locks up with the message, "Creating auto transcription...transcribing sequence" and just locks up PP.
So my solution was I cut the clip where it stopped captioning, created a new sequence, pasted the last half of the podcast, transcribed the new sequence and it worked like a charm.
Then I copied the captions from the new sequence to the old sequence and VOILA, I have the entire captions on one sequence.
Hope this helps other people having similar issues. It's not the perfect fix but it's a great workaround.