• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Not Exporting Full Caption Length

Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm creating SRT files within Premiere, however I'm having an issue with one specific video where it's not exporting the full length of the captions. When I import the caption file into premiere to check it, it stops about 20 minutes short of where it should be. I looked at my other timeline and I have my in and out points set correctly, and I haven't done anything differently than other times when I created CC. 

Tech specs:

Windows 10

Premiere Pro Version 22.2

Source footage is mp4

No error messages received

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles , Error or problem , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Amber, I believe you have an "empty" caption as the last caption that exports/reimports to your project. I get the same odd filename (regular filename + period and 5 digits + period and 5 digits + file extension .srt) if I add a caption and do not type anything in it. PR puts "New Caption" in it, and actually exports that new caption, but nothing after that.

Some users have workflows where they want to have captions as placeholders (e.g. empty or with just a space); PR will not allow that. If

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lawrence236358770l5d,

Sorry for this weird issue. Is it possible to test with a different clip? If that does not work, try a test in a brand new project. These tests are because I'm trying to find out if it is a bug with the application or with your project. Please report back and create a thread with your findings if you have a moment.

I'll test on my side when I have a moment. Sorry for the frustration.

One user had a suggestion that may be of value:

"You might try deleting the caption that won't export beyond, then create a new one and paste the text. Even though the text formatting was fine, the caption itself must have been corrupt when the .srt failed to export beyond."

However, the editor was utilizing the previous captions workflow from version 14.9 and earlier. Worth a try, though. I wish you luck!

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kevin, just tried your suggestion but it looks like I'm experiencing the same issue. I should note that there are a series of numbers that premiere included after my file names. My first one reads "Dean Kamen.12324.18720.srt" and the second one reads "Dean Kamen new proj test.26280.7924.srt". They both cut off at the same point of the video.

Thank you,

Amber

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amber,

Sorry for the frustration, as this should not be happening. I could not reproduce your error, I'm afraid. I tried! The numbers are not there, so that is an anomaly I am not experiencing. What is the format of the source file? If replacing their captions did not help in your test, perhaps the clips are the things causing the issue. You can also contact support and ask for the video queue for a possible solution. They are available M-F, 7 AM to 7 PM PST. Hope we can help!

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amber, I believe you have an "empty" caption as the last caption that exports/reimports to your project. I get the same odd filename (regular filename + period and 5 digits + period and 5 digits + file extension .srt) if I add a caption and do not type anything in it. PR puts "New Caption" in it, and actually exports that new caption, but nothing after that.

Some users have workflows where they want to have captions as placeholders (e.g. empty or with just a space); PR will not allow that. If you delete the "New Caption" (or other entry if you added text), PR puts "<Type your caption here>". In that case, when you export, PR does not export the "type here" caption, and nothing further.

I have found that the "New Caption" text sometimes breaks things, and other times not.

In any event, if you don't intend for there to be empty captions, just find them and delete. If you want placeholders, add a period or similar - spaces (regular or nonbreaking) don't work.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan,

Looks like a pesky empty caption was the problem after all. Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent! Glad you got it sorted.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the first time I've EVER had issues with the captioning engine inside PP.  Yesterday I was trying to take notes from a Podcast and I thought, "Why not upload the mp3 file into PP and let PP build the captions and then I can download the transcript."  It sounded like an amazingly simple fix.  Unfortunately, as other users have mentioned, it stopped the captioning a little before half of the total sequence.  For my project, PP stopped captioning at 20;16;00 of a 51;00;00 podcast.  

I tried creating a completely new project...failed.  Now, when I try to do captioning it locks up with the message, "Creating auto transcription...transcribing sequence" and just locks up PP.

So my solution was I cut the clip where it stopped captioning, created a new sequence, pasted the last half of the podcast, transcribed the new sequence and it worked like a charm.

Then I copied the captions from the new sequence to the old sequence and VOILA, I have the entire captions on one sequence.

Hope this helps other people having similar issues.  It's not the perfect fix but it's a great workaround.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2023 Sep 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had a similar problem. I was exporting captions out of file called Open Captions and it was exporting only a small segment. Later I have exported srt. file out of SEQUENCE and it worked. So, you find a sequence where are your captions, select it, go to file, export - captions and it will export the very captions you have in sequence you want. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines