Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere playback lags and keeps crashing 2021

New Here ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there!

Premiere user for a few years, never had it run so incredible slowly as the last weeks, literally cant find a way to make it run.

-My laptop: Windows 10, i7 10th Gen, Geforce MX330, 1 TB SSD

-video source files: Sony Alpha 4k footage, H264  in .MP4

-using ProRes Low Resolution Proxys, without them its even worse

-playback resolution down to 1/8

-both source and proxy files are stored on the internal ssd

-pre-rendered the timeline (green status bar) --> still lagging like hell

-Premiere is up to date 15.4.1 Build 6

-SSD drive is only half full

-no other programs are running while using premiere and i cleaned up background processes

-deleted Media-Cache, CUDA-GPU acceleration enabled, Hardware-accelerated Decoding enabled

-Premiere Pro on high priority in the task manager

-little to no effects on the clips, is lagging without any effects as well

-tidy and uncluttered project file and timeline

-premiere also keeps crashing when trying to pre-render the timeline or analyse clips for warp-stabilization

Hope somebody has an idea! Cheers Guys

Finn

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Finn,

What happens if you disable hardware decoding and then reboot? Let us know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kevin,

unfortunately theres no improvement.. Also since i have the lags in Premiere, it seems to drag down the performance of the whole laptop, can't even open my browser while using Premiere Pro.. Also i forgot to mention, i have 24gb of RAM available 🙂

Thanks,

Finn 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 28, 2021 Aug 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Finn,

How much of the RAM have you allotted for other apps in Premiere Pro Preferences > Memory?

You could try clearing the media cache: https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-how-to-clear-your-media-cache-in-30-seconds-in-premi... 

If it doesn't help, try resetting the preferences of Premiere Pro: https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-how-to-reset-trash-preferences-in-premiere-pro/td-p/... 

Let us know if it brings any change.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you edited that footage successfully before on that lappy? It's a bit underpowered for 4K but if your using lower res proxies should be fine. Go to your activity monitor and see if you can spot something hogging CPU or GPU while playing back timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

are you playing out to a second monitor or going full screen?  If so, try playing within the default editing workspace without a second monitor connected.  .  If that works, you can try increasing the size of the program monitor until you start seeing playback issues.  I know you probably depend on that second (or third monitor) but I'm talking about being able to get to work...  I'm working on a 4k 3 camera shoot and find that there are playback issues on a number of computers and that playing out to second monitor is often problematic.  I also find that sometimes doing a premiere restart gets things playing smoothly again.    And fwiw, accepted best practice is to have media on a different drive from your startup drive...  I know that's not always practical...  And how much RAM do you have on your system?  16 gigs is often the max on many laptops and that's often not sufficient for 4K material.  You might play around with the memory settings in premiere.  optimizing for performance sometime seems to help with playback.    Welcome to my hell.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines