• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Playback Problem (reverse playback)

New Here ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm having problem with playback. When I go through material, playback is smooth, but if I want to go to reverse playback (J on keyboard), playback is choppy and unwatchable. Before now I never had that problem 😞 (and it doesn't matter if I edit raw or proxy files).

Premiere that I'm using is 22.4.0 on MacBook Pro, M1 Max, 32GB RAM, 1Tb.

Thank you for all your ideas!

Best regards!

Jan

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 06, 2023 Jun 06, 2023

FYI. Ive been playing around with Premiere Pro (Beta) v23.6. It looks like the issue is finally resolved. I suppose it will hit final release in two updates being the current official release is v23.4. In (Beta) v23.5 the problem still exists. But looks like there is hope for v23.6 & forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have the same problem with Premiere 22.4.0 on Mac Studio M1 Pro, 32GB RAM, 512 GB.

But I noticed, that problem with reverse playback takes place only when I'm working with clips  XDCAM HD 422 1080i50. 

With another codecs (e.g. Pro Res (HD), H.264 HD), IMX 50 (SD)), everything works fine. Playback is smooth both forward and backward.

Regards, Thomas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jan!

Sorry to hear that. Does it happen on a specific project? Have you tried deleting cache files? Also, let us know the source of the media files.

Thanks,

Kartika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

most of the projects that I'm working on at the moment are 1080p25. Proxy files that are ProRes422LT works fine (also files for Arry Alexa (ProRes4444 4K)) problem starts with H264 MP(4), 1080, 25fps. I thought that perhaps some plugins were the problem, so today I formated MacBook Pro and started from scratch, installed Adobe CC, but problem is the same. So I'm guessing that the latest Premiere has same issues with H264. Performance of my mac is perfect. Scrolling through material is perfect (even in 6K Red Raw). Just when I press J to go reverse playback or if I change the speed of the clip to reverse, playback is unwatchable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 30, 2022 May 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the information. Could you provide sample files to test? You can upload them here: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/share.html

Let us know.

Kartika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem started on Premiere 22.4 for me as well with XDCAMEX files wrapped in .mov, however when I record in .mp4 no issue. My current fix is to roll back to a version prior to 22.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I have this problem as well, if I want to reverse a clip using speed/duration it does not even come close to playing back. I have a M1 Max Macbook Pro--everything else is buttery smooth. @Kartika Rawat please look into this! 4K .mp4 file HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 off of a Canon R6. Thanks! Premiere 22.4.0 build 57.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem started on Premiere 22.4 for me as well with XDCAMEX files wrapped in .mov, however when I record in .mp4 no issue. My current fix is to roll back to a version prior to 22.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has everyone having this issue had tried ProRes source in a ProRes Sequence?

For example, if we transcode to ProRes 422 LT and then set Sequence Video Previews to ProRes 422 LT, everything is responsive and fast.  The yellow line above footage in the Timeline appears much less frequently (and at times not at all).  M1 based Macs should be able to convert 60 minutes of camera original footage to ProRes within minutes, an edit exported to the "Match sequence preview settings" is extremely fast, and exporting to ProRes Proxy, H264, and H265 is faster. 

WarrenHeaton_0-1667409769053.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it's an issue of adjusting a setting, I think it's a bug that appeared in version 22.4 onward for both Windows & Mac users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ProRes works extremely well in every version of Premiere Pro - even before it was  natively supported.

A best practice in video post production is to match your source settings to your edit settings to your edited master settings - at least if looking for a fast and stable workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 16, 2023 May 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using the same format since 2011, but why did this issue only start in version 22.4 onward. To this day has not been fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i fixed it by switching to optical flow instead of frame sampling

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the difference between the two? and how do you set that? Does it reduce playback quality?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DQP Video 

Optical Flow is one of the options for how Premiere Pro processes footage running at a speed other than 100% speed (forward or reverse).  It also works on footage running at a frame rate that is different than the Sequence frame rate.

It's available in the Speed/Duration dialog box and also in the Export settings. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im just looking for reverse framing or reverse playback during scrubbing to be correct like It used to. Going frame by frame in reverse to cut the perfect edit. Now when I do that the picture jumps, ever since 22.4 onward this happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something happened in 22.4 that made reverse framing or reverse playback for XDCAM EX footage wrapped in .mov files jitter when CUDA with hardware is enabled. If I shoot with the same camera, and same picture settings just changing the wrapper to .mp4 then everything plays perfectly! Makes no sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always use a mezzanine CODEC to ensure consistency when it comes to performance.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is rediculous. I never had to do this before. Maybe I just stick with the .mp4 format. I just don't like the file structure with that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2023 Jun 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI. Ive been playing around with Premiere Pro (Beta) v23.6. It looks like the issue is finally resolved. I suppose it will hit final release in two updates being the current official release is v23.4. In (Beta) v23.5 the problem still exists. But looks like there is hope for v23.6 & forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2023 Jun 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI. I've been playing around with Premiere Pro (Beta) v23.6. It looks like the issue is finally resolved. I suppose it will hit the final release in two updates being the current official release is v23.4. In (Beta) v23.5 the problem still exists. But looks like there is hope for v23.6 & forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2023 Sep 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using 23.6 (build 65) and I'm struggeling with the same problem... Any ideas? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, updating Premiere to 23.6 (the latest version) finally fixed the problem for me, after over a year later struggling with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I have the same version but it doesn't work and is driving me nuts!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What camera are you using? What format are your clips?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines