• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere preview window becomes unresponsive when scrubbing timeline/rendering will freeze and crash

New Here ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10, 21H1
Latest NVIDIA/CUDA driver (Studio) on an Intel i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070
64gigs RAM
Premiere Pro version 15.4 (also tried 15.2 and 14.9)

When scrubbing the timeline of some 720p MPEG footage, the preview screen goes black at seemingly random times, and then Premiere becomes unresponsive and I have to force close.  I just finished a (mainly) 4k projects with multiple effects and it was handled without many issues (save for failed exports).  No effects are applied.
When attempting to render or export a sequence, the render will freeze progress shortly and also become unresponsive, requiring a force close.  No error messages are given.  

I have tried-

Different versions (14.9-15.4)
Using software only rendering (which defeats the purpose of having my graphics card, but worth a shot)
Resetting all preferences
Clearing the media cache
Moving the media cache to a different directory
Using default workspaces
Uninstalling/Reinstalling
Rebooting
Importing project in a new project
Importing footage (original and transcoded) into a new project
running the footage through ME to transcode to ProRes

Nothing seems to work.  Does anyone have some pointers?  This is driving me crazy.

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please use the free MediaInfo and post a screenshot the properties of your media in tree view:
https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Many users are having issues with VFR. If the file is variable frame rate, use Hand brake to convert to constant frame rate:
https://handbrake.fr/downloads.php
Here is a tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=34&v=xlvxgVREX-Y

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also:

What are the hard drives (how many, what kind, what is on each, what capacity, and how full)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most media is on an external mechanical drive that I've been using for the past few months (1TB, 300GB free), Premiere is on my local C drive 500GB SSD, with 212GB free.  I have tried dropping the video files on my SSD, and encounter the same issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines