Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro 15.2 caption issue

Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

It seems that some of the things that drove me mad in previous versions of the caption system have been fixed in 15.2, which is great, but I'm still struggling with this: there is no reliable and repeatable way to edit the text in the final caption in a series via the Text panel. 

I can edit the text in all captions directly in the Text panel by double clicking on them, apart from the last one. When I double click on the last one, nothing happens except the captions system seems to freeze for a variable amount of time, sometimes indefinitely. I can do other things elsewhere, in the sequence, etc, but can't usually add new captions or split the final one or click off the final one onto others. Eventually I'll be able to click off it, and then I can add a new caption after it, which means that because it's no longer the last one, I can now edit it by double clicking on it. But this is a pain - what's stopping me from editing the final caption?

I can edit the final caption directly on-screen in the program panel, but that's much less convenient.

I'm on Windows 10, with 32Gb RAM and an RTX 2070 Super, so it's not like my system's struggling.

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huh ... that seems bizarre, right? But I haven't actually run into it perhaps because I've not tried to do exactly that. If I remember this, I'll try to test this myself at the shop later today.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick test.  Also Win 10 using PR version 15.2. I used Subtitles (the old Open Captions).

I did a test on a 1 hour plus srt import and a very short video transcribed. Clicked to the last caption in the timeline. Double clicked on the text in the Text Panel. Only a tiny delay, but went into edit mode and I could change the text.

The timeline was only a very short video, so not a real test. But I could not confirm.

Were you using Subtitles? Importing srt? Using transcription? Can you create this problem in a new project with the same caption source? Are the captions at the end butted together or any gaps?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using subtitles, yes, created from a new captions track and pasting text in paragraph by paragraph from a Word doc. I'm splitting each paragraph into smaller segments, then adding a new segment (+) for each paragraph. Some of the subtitles butt together, some have a second or two of space, but that makes no difference. There's only a single video layer - video file is around 90mins long (2.5Gb mp4), but edited down to around 10mins of highlights.

Quick test: I started a new project, imported a 45 second video clip and created some dummy subtitles. A mixture of new segments, split segments and copy-pasted segments. Short phrases. Everything's fine until I get to around 10 segments, when the problem recurs.

Behaviour:

1. When I click on the penultimate caption in the Text panel, the final caption is highlighted. It takes about 10 seconds or so of clicking other captions in the panel before I get any response. Then I can freely edit any caption apart from the last two.

2. When I click on the final caption in the Text panel, the final caption itself is highlighted, but I can't edit it or click off it for a variable amount of time.

3. Sometimes I can double click the final panel from cold (i.e. instead of clicking it once to highlight it first) and go into edit mode, sometimes I can't. It's random.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit: first video is only 720Mb, sorry, not 2.6Gb. I have around 100 caption segments, none longer than 2 lines.

Also - test project with 10 caption segments, each segment is manually typed, not copied or pasted from elsewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for those detailed descriptions. I'll try more experiments later.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I followed your process - 13 segments of various types, clicking either last or next to last caption - response was immediate and I was able to double click and edit.

As you say, you are not getting this behavior always, so I may not have hit on the "right"combination.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines