• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro 15 utterly unusable

New Here ,
Jul 03, 2021 Jul 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the full CC license, and haven't used premiere in around a year, but need to create a quick demo video for a cliernt, so downloaded and installed it to edit some 1080 clips together (nothing fancy, just a couple of fades). 

It's unusable - this is a fairly fast PC (4.5ghz i7, dual GTX1080Ti, 64GB RAM, M.2 drive and 4TB SSD RAID) but premiere crawls. It literally takes 10 seconds to open the file menu, then another 10 seconds for fly-outs to appear. The export option does nothing - click on "Export Media..." and nothing happens at all. I'm not sure if this is supposed to run on a server farm, but I'm amazed at how badly it performs compared to when I last used it.

Is it possible to install an older, working version of Premier just to get my project finished? After this I'll likely never touch it again!

TOPICS
Error or problem , Freeze or hang , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll find that Premiere Pro version 14.9 is also available to you in the Creative Cloud app. Try installing that version and see if you get improved performance.

If performance problems remain, this may indicate something about your system that is an issue. Look first at Adobes specifications required for Premiere Pro and pay particular attention to your graphics card and approved drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume it's Premiere rather than my machine. I primarily work on electronics designs and FPGA design work on this machine, and it's never had any issues. When a piece of software takes 10 seconds open a menu, I consider that particulartly well optimised. Thanks for the pointer though - I'm going to try installing the oldest version of Premiere I can find, to hopefully get something usable!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jesus, is there no edit button on these forums either? "I meant not particularly well optimized" above haha!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 04, 2021 Jul 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro is certainly not without it's issues! But taking 10 seconds for a UI element to respond could be a machine/version specific problem. I get to use (love/hate) multiple versions of Premiere Pro over multiple edit suites and even across platforms. There's often an 'issue' here and there but not like you are experiencing. 

That's why first thought is machine/software incompatibility.

Hope you find a solution and good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure to use the latest Studio Driver from NVIDIA (NOT the Game Driver).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I were to take a guess, it's your graphics cards that are slowing things down for Premiere. The GTX1080ti stopped being produced over 3 years ago and Premiere has quickly moved on to requiring more up to date cards. not that it doesn't support it, but you likely are seeing a struggle for Premiere there. If you look around on the forum here about that particular card, there are bits and pieces of advice about it but the major one will definitely be to make sure to have the studio drivers installed. This can be a finicky process as you have to make sure the game drivers are out, studio drivers are in and Premiere catches them. Some people have had to reinstall (after a super clean uninstall) Premiere after doing that. The rest of your system seems up to snuff for Premiere though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which particular i7 CPU do you have? You may have an older i7 that has only 4 cores and 8 threads. If that's the case, then its performance would be about as weak as today's low-end i3 CPU. Premiere Pro depends quite heavily on raw CPU performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the responses, I'm pretty sure my PC is capable of opening a menu in most programs in under 10 seconds, so I don't think it's performance that's the issue. I also have a gaming PC with an RTX3070, 64GB, dual 1TB M.2 drives and saw the same issues - extremely sluggish, with the UI frequently freezing to the point I was getting prompts to close the program from Windows.

I eventually used Premiere 14.0 to finish the task. Even though the menu was not usable, hot-keys did work (i.e. CTRL+m to export). Exporting was actually very fast, as expected - it used one GPU, plus the CPU so the drivers seem ok. Again, I don't have these problems with other software that pushes the performance of these PCs.

Although as said I have the whole creative cloud suite I'm probably going to find an open source tool to do any future video editing (very seldom for me).

Thanks again for the replies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, the work PC is an i7 9700K - significantly faster than any i3. In fact, I doubt even the fastest i3 is quicker than any i7 ever made... My gaming PC uses an i7 11700KF - this is not a slow machine by any stretch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your reply makes sense only if you are comparing CPUs within the exact same generation. If on the other hand you're comparing a currently new 10th-Gen Refresh i3 such as an i3-10105 with a seven-year-old 4th-Generation Refresh i7 CPU such as an i7-4790 (non-K), the i3 will win hands down in most tasks. That is because both the 10th-Gen i3 and the 4th-Gen i7 have only 4 cores and 8 threads.

As for the i7-9700K, it only performs about equal to that of the previous-gen (8th-Gen) i7 CPU with 6 cores and 12 threads because the 9700K has 8 cores but only 8 threads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2021 Jul 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, even the i7 4790 from 7 years ago is faster overall than an i3-10105 from this year. The i3 is a "budget" chip, so it can't stack up against even very old i7's - the i7 architecture is just more performant. In any case, a 9700k with good supporting hardware and plenty of RAM shouldn't perform like that. I fixed the issue using an older version of Premiere though, and won't be using it again (even though it's in my subscription). My screen recording software has basic editing functionality that will do what I need I think 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Guess what? That comparison is not about the performance at all. In fact, there are some CPUs that are ranked high but have relatively abysmal overall performance. Look at the effective speed comparisons. You will note that a far higher popularity score tended to overinflate the overall user scores despite the CPU's performance being noticeably or even substantially inferior.

This is exactly why UserBenchmark is not a reliable method to compare overall performance. You will see that even AMD's fastest and most powerful CPUs, even in the current generation, lag behind a middling Intel CPU in overall UserBenchmark overall score despite AMD significantly outperforming the Intel CPU.

And UserBenchmark is severely biased in favor of Intel and Nvidia, even in programs that both fall behind in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines