• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro 2019 randomly using all system RAM and crashing?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently I have been having a troublesome issue with Premiere Pro 2019 and was hoping to get some help. Without any reason I can find, in the middle of editing, Premiere will suddenly stop playing back any video. Occasionally audio will continue but that soon stops as well.  When this happens, within a matter of seconds, my RAM usage will basically sky rocket and max out my computer, going from 8 GB to around 55GB+ (see screenshot). At this point, I can only very slowly navigate the interface and save the project, still with no playback or frame updates when dragging or attempting to move the playhead. Usually, however, if I try to do anything, the program will crash. Strangely, if I leave my computer idle, after 10-20 minutes, playback may suddenly resume and RAM usage quickly drops to normal as if nothing happened. I can continue working at that point until it happens again. Sometimes I can get 2 or 3 hours of work, sometimes only 5 minutes, until the issue returns. I am not doing anything complex at this point. So far, I've just been importing footage, cutting and nesting different takes, and putting a few multicam sequences together. As such, I've mostly noticed this issue simply when playing through source material.

I tried doing several steps to fix this already all with no luck. I deleted my unused media cache in the preferences menu. I reset all preferences. I turned off GPU acceleration. I made sure I had the latest driver for my GPU. I imported my project into a new project. Closed unused programs. Restarted my computer. Uninstalled and redownloaded Premiere. Etc. Still no solution.  This is my first project with Premiere 2019 but it is also my first time using my new machine. I was concerned it might be an issue from my video footage (.MOV files with h.264 compression from my Canon 80D) but I didn't experience this problem before on a different machine with Premiere 2018.

Does anyone have any idea what the issue might be? Is it a bug in Premier? I am especially concerned as this is my first time on my custom build and was unsure if this may be a hardware related issue (although this only happens in Premiere, so I find it unlikely that my computer is at fault).

My build is as follows:

Windows 10

Cpu: intel i7-8700k

GPU: NVIDIA RTX2080Ti

RAM: 64 GB DDR4

Storage: 500GB Samsung evo 970 (program files & disk cache), 1TB Samsung evo 860 (source material, project, scratch disks, etc.)

I would truly appreciate any help as this is consuming an immense amount of my time!

Premiere Pro RAM Issue.png

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Been having a the same problem too. Lost about 3 days because of that...

But it seems Robbo338 saved my day - I deleted all photo files from my project and now it's working fine again. Will have to add them at some point back again though - will let you know what happens.

Working on:

MacOS 10.14.2. - MacBook Pro 2017 - Premiere CC 13.0.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 127 Replies 127
Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2019 Mar 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks R Neil Haugen , I've reverted to Premiere 2017 now. Does anybody know if there's been any new progress on the issue?

Is there anything else I can do to help make some progress? If not, how can I keep track of the issue to know when it's fixed?

Wes Howell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They will have another release sometime around NAB probably, as they have the last couple years. Sometime in April, but that's a guess on past practice.

And you can of course test yourself easily enough. Work in 2017, but keep a current version installed. When they have an update, install and test.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you turned off font syncing? My issue is 100% gone with Adobe Font Syncing off in new projects.  Old projects with old synced fonts give a lot of warnings and will give worse performance but no crashing. New projects smooth as I have ever seen. 4k 10bit and no proxies. Gives no issue and smooth playback. What I seem to be observing is font sync is extremely active for whatever reason puts a huge strain on system especially if you scrub timeline quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I turned off 'enable adobe fonts' in the CC app, creative cloud syncing in the CC 'files' tab, and the sync options in Premiere's 'preferences' tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2019 Jul 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday I discovered that playback of 4k video (in premiere timeline) triggers an immediate spike in RAM use: RAM increases to maximum, followed by system crash. (I was working with proxies, but switched to the original file to make an adjustment).

System would not boot to windows after this. Had to have IT come in dig around to clear some error log, or some such.

Once operational, I tried recreating the issue. RAM started spiking as soon as I commenced 4k playback.

I was able to save and exit prior to crash.

(I don't have any photos in my project)

This has only been occuring since latest update.

System:

Win 10 pro

Premiere Pro 13.1

Twin Xeon E5-2680 2.4GHz

64GB RAM

Nvidia Quadro m5000

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope you posted that on their new bug/features system  ... that goes directly to the engineers system and also the upper managers who decide budgets and such.

Adobe lives on metrics  ... give them some. The link is on the top of the Overview page of the forum.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil. Will do.

Anthony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2019 Jul 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any progress or updates on resolve for this issue? Still seeking a solution-working my way through past temp fixes posted on this thread. Same symptoms to report here, missing font messages out the ying yang, spikes, etc. I haven't changed my workload, same stuff different day just PP is suddenly possessed. Big work losses and jeopardy for our startup due to this.... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 30, 2019 Jul 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TrentHappel  ... any ideas?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 31, 2019 Jul 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

There are multiple reports of issues in this thread.   Some have been related to specific media, others have been related to plugins / panels.  It is not clear that a  single issue is the singular source of these issues.

More troubleshooting is needed for any of these cases to gather specific details including machine config, workflow, formats in use, etc.

If troubleshooting via this thread is preferred, adding as many please add as many details as possible and detailed steps to  reproduce the issue.

I would also highly recommend contacting Adobe support - We have resources available and we'd like to help.  Support can walk through the issue and conduct direct troubleshooting.   It would seem that many of these reports would benefit from some direct support.

Wes Howell

Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx for the call out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't intending to call out anybody in particular -  I promise.

Just wanted to keep the thread focused on gathering more details and guide it more towards troubleshooting.

(These things can get conflated!)

Sorry if that came across the wrong way - wasn't my intent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wes is one of the development team, and great at puzzling things out. Give him data! He's good at helping, and of course .... has amazing resources available to him.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing's changed on my end, same computer, workflow, and content. Here's what I get....

*Missing font messages

*Timeline freezes

*Unable to export a usable file

I'm mixing episode teasers, so mixed media jpegs, mov files, and png's. Adjustment layers and transitions. 3-5 minute files.

10 GB RAM devoted to Premiere

Updated drivers NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050

Windows 10

Tried multiple fixes...

Shutting off font updates

Cleared Cache

Updated drivers

no joy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you see the crash report dialog? If so, please copy and paste then send to me.

1080 Sequence?  Using 3rd party effects or panels?  ever used Insta360?

What exactly happens when you try to export?

is this a laptop with Intel GPU?  if so, can you confirm driver version?  This has been a common issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2019 Aug 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thx for the reply Wes. Disregard. It was a graphics card issue. Resolved.

I have used Insta360 however. what's the deal there?...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 01, 2019 Aug 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Related to Intel GPU?  I’m curious

Yes, There are some significant performance problems that can occur in Premiere Pro if that Insta 360 panel is installed.   We are hoping for an updated version of that panel but in the meantime I would recommend uninstalling it if you run into any performance issues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2019 Aug 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i was also getting the same problem, seems to stem from multicam sequences

i couldn't scrub through and edit the sequence despite having 32 gb of ram installed.

I am also unable to export my sequence if the video got too long (more than 2 minutes of footage) via media encoder 2019

this problem seemed to have occured only recently

My system configuration:

Windows 10 pro, nvidia GTX 670 (yes i need an upgrade) on latest nvidia drivers (as of 15/8/2019), 32 gb ddr4 ram

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2019 Oct 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

Also suffering from the issue of playback freezing in an unfounded time of editing. Ususally right at the beginning, shortly after media file import. 

My system:

i7-7700HQ

32GB RAM

GTX 1080Ti 

The RAM maxes out at 99% and says is using 16GB. The screenshot below has been captured mid Pr crash.

clipboard_image_1.png

The system does recover eventually but then just crashes again. I updated my gfx drivers and previously have been able to edit without troubles this week though that was not using footage. 

Media encoder struggles to transcode my footage too which I've tried. After effects seems to be ok. Other adobe apps seem fine, not using video footage with them. 

So, I assume the video footage is the problem but I don't see why my laptop can't handle the footage. It's Canon MP4 4k 25p 119Mbps. 

I have tried disabling adobe fonts, as I saw someone say that worked. Hasn't worked for me though.

In short, video footage on Pr crashing. Machine is powerful enough to run the footage.

Any help, really appreciated, I can't work on simple tasks and the IT department have run out of ideas as they aren't adobe experts.

Thanks,

Ed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2019 Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has there been any progress on this issue? I have been experiencing it as well. I am on a bran new Macbook pro but I don't know what info is needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2019 Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing this same isseu as well. Was working fine before lastest PP update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you already have a fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No not really, I took the project to another machine and it worked with no problems at all.

I was beginning to think it was the file that was corrupt but actually the laptop just couldn't handle the file even though it was 1080p.

I really have no idea why. I spent hours with Adobe Support restarting my laptop, switching on and off graphics cards etc and they didnt solve it. I eventuially had to leave the support as I had to leave the building.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same problem as above. In fact I have already rendered and exported the project previously. I had to go back and add a character in some text when I expericed the bug. 

If I render or try to export RAM shoots to 16gb and everything shuts down. 

It is very, very, frustrating that we all pay monthly for this program and this issue has been on going on both Mac and Windows for over a year.

Post the resoultion on the thread so people can at least resolve their problem. This is beyond rediculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2020 Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same problem here.

with the difference that CPU is at 100% and Memory also above 90%.

I'm using PrPro 2020 update, but problem was there also on the 2019 version. 

I have intel core i7.  Ram 8GB (I know! but previously I've edited larger projects without a problem on the same hardware). IT people can't figure it out.

Now that I see posts on this topic from 2018 in this thread, I get devastated..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines