Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Premiere Pro 2021 (15): Trim Tool Flickers/Flashes + Aspect Ratio Changes When Manipulating Clips

Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having a huge issue ever since updating to Premiere 2021.

• On my timeline when I extend a video clip by dragging the ends with the selection tool, the preview screen flashes on every frame. It looks like it is flashing back and forth between where the playhead is and the frames I am extending.
  • Every time I make any change or adjustment to any clip, text or basically anything on the timeline, the preview screen changes between aspect ratios, and low-res previews and then pops back to normal. This happens Every time I even touch anything on the timeline.
  • This isnt an isolated glitch, either. It happens in every project I've started and opened.
  • I reset Premiere and trashed the preferences already. I have run out of options.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any help will be greatly appreciated as I can't even edit without near getting a seizure from the preview monitor flashing.

My system:

-2017 iMac 27"

-Latest OS

-4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

-64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

-Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

Mod note: Changed title to reflect your 2 issues. 

TOPICS
Crash, Editing, Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021
I'm very glad to report that this issue is fixed in Premiere Pro 15.4.1, which was released today (8/16/2021). Regards, Fergus 

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Composite preview during trim.jpg

If checked might want to turn it off.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just checked and that setting has been off.

Here is a screen recording of whats happening. it seems to be jumping between the frame the playhead is on and the frame that is being cut in.

https://vimeo.com/532548929/f2f73354cd

Join the web's most supportive community of creators and get high-quality tools for hosting, sharing, and streaming videos in gorgeous HD with no ads.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen recording does not show.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops, sorry, try this link instead!

https://vimeo.com/532548929

Join the web's most supportive community of creators and get high-quality tools for hosting, sharing, and streaming videos in gorgeous HD with no ads.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry: endless spinning wheel.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bad link here, too.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah okay here is the youtube link. Hopefully this works!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lwbIh9zSzw

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How was your source video recorded?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2021 Apr 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The footage in the clip is h.264 from an A7sii.

But I also tested it with Prores HQ, Red footage, black magic footage. It even does it with the premiere graphics like text etc. Basisically anything that is on the timeline, no matter what it is does this, unfortunately.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you change the project Mercury Engine rendering to Software Only?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I turn it off it wont even play anything. It takes a few seconds for a frame to pop up.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That performance hit when switching to Software Only indicates to me that there is a serious bottleneck or conflict in your Pr setup. GPU acceleration is doing what it can to overcome whatever it is that's going on. 

Have you tried a brand new project created in Pr 15?

What if you uninstall the Red Giant plugins?

Have you reset your preferences and deleted all your cache files?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing I havent tried yet is unistalling red giant, but I can try that. I did reset the preferences and that did nothing.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately no difference when I unistall it. Not sure what to try now.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have FCPX? DaVinci Resolve? If so, are they affected at all? What about iMovie?

It may be worth a tedious trip through your Preferences to turn off or turn on anything that might affect playback or editing. A reset only resets it to the defaults and maybe the defaults aren't what's needed. 

I'm also running out of ideas. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What would the next step be to put this into a bug fix request?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 10, 2021 Apr 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the footage is variable framerate convert to constant framerate with Handbrake before bringing into Premiere.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same issues. Same across all edits all codecs. Driving me crazy. This issue wasn't apparent in the previous version of PP.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you on macOS Big Sur? If not, which OS are you running?

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on the latest version of Big Sur.

I also just got the Red Giant suite around the same time this stuff started happening. So im not sure if that would have anything to do with it. But I specifically remember these glitches started right after I upgraded. Id downgrade but ive already converted older project files to the new version and can't go back now ha.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no plugins installed (redgiant or any other) and it happens too on the imac. 

iMac Pro, macos 11

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to flicker between the frame that is being trimmed, to the frame thats at the playhead.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the latest version of Big Sur 11.2.3

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines