• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro 2022 Distorting Colors

Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2021 Dec 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am currently running Premiere Pro 2022, and I am experiencing some strange phenomena. Roughly 13 hours ago, I opened Premiere and realized that displayed colors were off. 

Here are my computer specs:

- MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021)

- Apple M1 Max

- 64 GB RAM

- macOS Monteray (version 12.0.1)

- 1TB SSD

Here are my Premiere Pro specs:

- Premiere Pro 2022 (22.1.2) Apple Silicon version

- Rec.709 Colorspace

- 52GB of RAM dedicated for Premiere

When I first noticed the issue, I tried quitting to fix the problem; however that did not work. So I then uninstalled Premiere Pro entirely and reinstalled it to try and remedy the problem. This method also failed. To demonstrate what is happening, I will share some screenshots:

Screen Shot 2021-12-31 at 5.03.46 PM.png

The above is a screenshot from the Premiere program window with no effects applied.

Below is a screenshot from QuickTime Player.

Screen Shot 2021-12-31 at 5.05.20 PM.png

This video was shot on a GoPro Hero 8:

- Color: Flat

- White Balance: Native

- Shutter: Auto

- ISO: Auto

- Resolution: 4K

- Frame Rate: 30fps

As you can see, Premiere Pro is grotesquely distorting the video. However, as expected, this issue is further exacerbated when applying a color grade. However, another interesting point is when LUTs are utilized. I sent the same footage to a buddy and asked him to create a LUT for me to test if it was the footage or premiere. 

unknown.png

The above is the same video on HIS computer with his LUT applied.

Below is the same video on MY computer with his LUT applied.

Screen Shot 2021-12-31 at 5.16.57 PM.png

Both images were captured around roughly the same time in the video. However, it is evident that the colors are far from similar.  As stated earlier, no other effects are applied to the video. To apply his LUT I simply loaded the .cube file into the "Input LUT" Dropdown in the Lumetri Color panel. I will drop the .cube file (Google Drive Link) as well as some sample footage below. Thank you in advance for all the help! 

Here is the .cube file my buddy created 

TOPICS
Editing , Formats , Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are my settings. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I turn on REC 709 then the video is too light.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I turn on the REC 2100HLG the video is slightly different in color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rec.709 primaries are not the same as the Rec2100, as the Rec.2100 space is bigger and deeper ... a greater volume of available hues.

Yes, the color of the image might easily shift a bit. You also have to make sure your monitor can accurately show Rec.2100/HLG color and your computer connection will pass the HDR.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What settings are best for me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It all depends. Two questions.

Do you have a system and monitor that actually work well out into HDR data ranges, getting  400 nits brightness or better, and 95% of P3 color space at least or better?

Do you really need to deliver in HDR, using either HLG or PQ?

I ask, because very few screens at this time really work well in HDR, if at all. That's going to be changing over the next couple years, but for now, Rec.709 is simply easier to work and deliver in.

If the answer to the first question is "no", you don't have a setup for working with HDR media in HDR at this time anyway, it's not possible for you.

If "yes" to the first question, but the second is "no", then ... it's still far easier to stay in Rec.709 especially after learning Premiere new color management system.

So ... what's the answers for you at this time?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Answer to the first question is "no"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rec.709 Makes the picture very bright.

242095600u5t_0-1651589053873.png

242095600u5t_1-1651589086918.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you gone to the clips in the bin, right-click, Modify/Interpret Footage, and set the Override to Rec.709?

Then make sure the Sequence Settings color space is Rec.709 also.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had this same frustrating issue but none of the solutions worked on my M1 ULTRA Mac Mini.

I finally figured out the fix for me was to enable both Display Color Management and Extended Dynamic Range Monitoring under Preferences>General while having both my monitors set to Rec 709 2.4 gamma with HDR enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines