Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro 2022 Freezes When Speeding Up Playback

Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

I just installed Adobe Premiere 2022 this morning, and I'm now having at least one major roadblock.

I edit video for broadcast, which often requires a lot of cutting in a short period of time. And I often speed up playback to figure out what needs to be cut, faster.

But after installing Adobe Premiere 2022, I can't speed up playback without the program freezing. If I do, the audio keeps playing, while everything else appears to be frozen in the program. You can press buttons but none of them work.

Any advice on this, or any fixes? The program is unworkable for me after this.

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

In PrPro version 22.5, this problem has finally been solved. Thank you for my heard requests and prayers. Now playback does not stutter when using the J K L keyboard shortcuts 🖖

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just FYI to all who may have experienced this at some point: It was a cable issue for me.

Like many video editors, I edit off an external harddrive. I switched out the cable from the external to my system, and am no longer experiencing the issue. I didn't want to delete this post, because I hope it helps someone else who's experiencing this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so, nevermind. The cable didn't fix it, that was a fluke. Back to square one, but will make a fresh post if I can't figure it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully not calling out the obvious here and below your skill level, but what kind of media are you working with?

If it's high bitrate then maybe your drive speed is a bottleneck (assuming it's an HDD).

If it's H264/5, then I'd be looking at the video codec as the source of the issue. I always make proxies into an intermediate codec if I plan on working quickly with H264/5 media.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries. Interestingly, it's happened with different media with different bitrates. One file's bitrate was about 16, another's was 36. 

The strange thing is that I was using the same files in 21 and wasn't having issues. I upgraded to 22 because, why not? And this issue started immediately.

do think the bottleneck theory could be the cause as well. You're right, it's an HDD, and I was having some issues last week with audio cutting out of a project while I was playing back. I thought it was because the project had a lot of different sources of media from multiple locations, but maybe it's ready to die? It's only about two years old but, admittedly, I work it to the bone all day, every day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the bitrates are that low I would definitely be looking at the video codec as the culprit rather than a drive speed bottlneck. Even a 5400rpm HDD should get you around 800Mbps speeds, so you shouldn't be getting anywhere close to hitting that, even with multiple streams playing simultaneously. If the bitrates are that low, they have to be compressed, interframe codecs (so the H264/5 kinda thing.)  

One thing you can try is turning off Hardware Accelerated Encoding/Decoding in Preferences > Media to see if that helps at all. (Or turn them on, if they are not on.)

And yeah, always keep in mind that you can go back a version. When I've got a version that's stable and working for me, I'm always wary about updating, especially to a brand new .0 release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like the video codec for the media I'm using is MP4/MOV H.264 4:2:0. Does that seem like it might be causing the issue? I'm not super familiar with codecs, so it's also really possible I'm not looking at what you're saying, but either way I'm not sure how to change it.

I only thought it wasn't the codec because I didn't change any settings or anything between 21 and 22, so I've been at a loss for what to try. I did try turning off Hardware Accelerated Encoding/Decoding, but nothing, unfortunately. Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Put copies of your project media on a fast internal drive. Create a new project in Pr22 and import the copied media.

Any issues?

You could also try creating a new project in Pr22 and importing the old Pr21 project into it, leaving the media where it is on the external drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To get started on learning about codecs: https://blog.frame.io/2017/02/15/choose-the-right-codec/

I would try creating a Quicktime ProRes 422 Proxy or LT file and see how that performs in your timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't agree with you about the statement: be wary of the new version. If the product is officially released, users should not have uncertainty and hesitation when upgrading to a new version. To do this, you have launched the beta version, where the product is run-in and errors are identified that need to be fixed before the official version is released. Definitely wrong. Double standards are used when it is possible to solve at the initial stage, and it turns out that there are unresolved problems in the final version. And then the user suffers with a bunch of projects. Come to your senses and don't say that. Test Test Test. Personally, if a new update has been released, and even more so a major one, I immediately update, as I look forward and want to work on a new product. I am for updates, especially with new features, but solve problems in beta versions. I don't have to wait for the developers to solve them. So that's how they work if there are so many flaws in the new version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely agree. I am having the exact same issues reported and have tried all the remedies listed to no avail. This glitch has completely disrupted my weekly workflow where the only thing that has changed is the version of Adobe Premiere. This is absolutely an issue that needs to be patched and not something requiring proxies or new codecs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2022 Jan 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting this - I have the same issued when previewing my source files - yet this is only when I am using much longer pieces of footage and doesn;t seem to matter about the playback resolution (anything from 1 - 4 hrs). All my short files seem to be fine. 

Type: MPEG Movie
File Size: 87.09 GB
Image Size: 1920 x 1080
Frame Rate: 50.00
Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 16-bit - Stereo
Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo
Total Duration: 04:00:01:46
Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0
Alpha: None
Color Space: xvYCC709 (IEC61966_2_4)
Color Space Override: Off
Input LUT: None
Video Codec Type: MP4/MOV H.264 4:2:0 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm attaching a screen recording so you can see what's going on. So, usually at this point, it plays out frozen like this for at least 30 seconds. Sometimes, it then stops, and jumps back to where it froze. Other times, it just doesn't stop (or maybe I didn't wait long enough.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your post, I have encountered what appears to be the identical issue on a Windows 10 setup, I've created a separate post here, before someone kindly located and pointed me towards yours:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/premiere-pro-cc-2022-crashes-on-fast-forward...

You can see a few things we've tried in that thread (disabling hardware acceleration, updating drivers, etc), all with no effect. After reinstalling, it appears PP2021 does not have this issue.

The only other info I have is that appears to be related to the file size, I can scrub smaller source files without locking up (12GB or less), my bigger files (35GB) lock reliably during scrubbing every time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Generally I get very sluggish, almost unusable 4K 10-bit (GH-5) performance since upgrading to pp2022.

I use an SSD that reads 550mb/s and a 5700 xt and never had speed issues with this combination before.

Also Blackmagic RAW Benchmark (for what it's worth) gives me only 1/3rd fps since upgrading OSX to latest BigSur and PP2022

Switching back to pp21 if thats not solved soon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm switching back to 21 this afternoon to see if the error goes away for me. I'll report back what I find.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue on a 2021 Macbook Pro M1 Max running Monteray (for me the program just stalls but eventually I have control again). My friend has the same isssue as well on a 2010 Mac Pro running Catalina (his just crashes). To clarify, when we use the J/K/L keys to scrub faster/slower.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing this issue on a 2019 16" Macbook Pro with seperate TB3 externals for source material and scractch disks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Write to the developers using the user's voice and ask them this question when they fix it.
In general, an application used in the cinematography industry should not contain such obvious flaws. This, first of all, will not allow you to normally select, collect material on the timeline. Where do Adobe look when they release updates with such errors that are immediately visible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone,

I'm happy to report that, after reverting to Premiere Pro 2021, I'm not having this issue. Hopefully it will be resolved in the next patch of 2022. I'll keep trying when that happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all!

These projects that are freezing during a fast forward playback – were they created in Premiere Pro 2022? Or were they created in 2021 and then updated to 2022? This will help us find a permanent solution, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should also add I only work in multi cam edits so I don't know how it affects standard clip based sequences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently working with projects in the new Premiere v.22. Playback is different from if I had opened the old project in a new version. But, but, but, it cannot be said that the reproduction is absolutely perfect. Yes, of course, there is no disappearing Play Heads on the timeline, but it leaves much to be desired. I'm waiting for the engineers to make the playback of clips on the timeline fast and stable. When viewing the movement of PlayHeads, you can see how it slows down, then goes normally. It feels like he's suffocating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's with both for me, also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines