• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro 2022 ignores timing of the frames in an imported GIF

New Here ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 5.3 second long looping GIF that I animated in Photoshop. It has six frames, the first of which lasts for 5 seconds, with the following five lasting for .06 seconds. Looks great, plays perfectly fine in image viewers and browsers - no issues whatsoever.

However, when I import it into Premiere Pro, each frame is changed to last an equal amount of time. The GIF still plays over the course of 5.3 seconds, but each frame now lasts for .83 seconds. Which, of course, makes it completely useless. If I could export it as an MP4 and use that I would, but this is part of a layered project and I need the transparency.

I'm at a loss on this one. I've seen a couple of other threads on the internet about similar issues, but they're all several years old and never got a response. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hunter!

My colleague Caroline wrote the following response:

Premiere's sequence settings don't allow variability of frame rate. The app is designed for usual video playback, so it's always going to treat every frame equally. The only thing I can think of right now would be to make a cut after the first frame, extend it to 5 seconds. Then cut the following 5 frames so they're all individual clips! Select all 5, right-click to select "Speed/Duration..." and set the duration to however many frames .06 seconds is. Probably around 2 frames each, so your Speed/Duration window would look like this! Could you post the gif here on the Community so we can see it? The correct one out of Photoshop.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hunter,

To add to what Caroline said, in my experience, using GIF files as a source for a video project is not ideal. Usually, a file with frames attached to every frame in a 24 fps clip (or whatever the native frame rate is) is the only reliable thing to use. You might try importing the GIF as a PNG image sequence and use that as your source. Would that work? What else have you tried?

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2023 Sep 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's not quite the same but instead of exporting a GIF from photoshop you can go File>Export>Render Video.  This will then work as expected in Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines