Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro 2022 not running smooth after trying everything

Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I can't seem to get Premiere pro running smoothly on my system. When I'm editting and playing back, it keeps getting stuck/freezing and I can't play back properly. I've been trying everything:

1. I make proxies in the lowest quality possible with Media Encoder
2. I turn of FX
3. I have the playback quality set to lowest
4. Everything I could Google, I have tried (so also changing settings with the GPU, everything is on max and reserved for use with Premiere Pro). 
5. I render the selection before playing back

My system:

ProcessorIntel(R) Core(TM) i7-8086K CPU @ 4.00GHz
Video CardNVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
Operating SystemWindows 10
RAM32 GB

I use M2 memory (which has over 1tb of space), I have a watercooler on the CPU and it doesn't seem like anything is getting too hot. There's a software on my PC that shows me the load of the CPU and GPU and it doesn't cross 20 % on CPU and GPU and for the RAM it's about 60% (20GB) whilst playing back my timeline in Premiere Pro.

I've attached my sequence settings. 

I work with multiple layers (about 30-40), mostly it's some sort of simple animation and I load in Illustrator Files, which I nest into short animations and then put together as a visual for my band. There's many many images in one nest (like 20-70) and sometimes they are not nested and just put behind each other, so I can still edit the animation frame by frame. So in total, there's a lot of Ai files in my Pr project.

When I'm working with video's from my Iphone (which are in high quality), it seems to run smoother, even if I copy everything until I have 40 layers. Although I've had some trouble editting a more advanced videoclip with video's from my phone, but I could work through it.

Any idea what might be the problem? Could it still be that my system can't handle the proejcts, although it doesn't seem like that with the software? I'm fairly new to working with biger projects, as I've only been learning working with Adobe for a few years now (on my own) and in the past year I've been starting to make lots of progress, which results in bigger projects. It's so bad now, that I have to export everything to see if it looks alright, then work on it, export, etc.

Any information missing, let me know!

TOPICS
Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I"m puzzled as to why you're using an interlaced DV format for that sequence ... ?

And which proxy format/codec are you using?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil, 

Thanks for your reply. I have no idea why I use interlaced DV, I think I once looked it up in a tutorial. As I stated, I learn it on my own, so I look up tutorials and actually don't know exactly what interlaced DV is. If you have any advice for what I should use instead, I'd be very thankfull! Should I use different formats for animations or for projects with just videos? 

Im using 'Quicktime Prores Low Resolution' for proxy

Jennifer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your sequence is set up incorrectly. Set it to 1080p or 2160P with PAR 1.0 and progressive.

Make sure you Ai files are the same resolution as the project.

Using Prores for proxies is fine but the more layers the more your machine is going to struggle.

Set preview to Prores proxy.

You need to be very careful in watching tutorials. A lot of those on Youtube are garbage. Stick to Adobe sites.

If you want to learn Premiere properly, get a subscription at LinkedInLearning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Ann's being a little harsh...  There are many useful premiere tutorials on youtube but the real advantage to the ones on Linkedin is that they are comprehensive and will hopefully fill you in on what you need to know in a structured fashion.  I think you can get a free or discounted month for the Linkedin subscription required to access Linkedin Learning.  But regardless of where you find your tutorials, if you don't understand the specifics, you need to do some additional research.  Wikipedia can be a useful resource for explaining video technical terms but it can get overwhelming.   Just one example is Ann's mention of PAR.  That stands for pixel aspect ratio, the shape of individual pixels.  For the most part, most modern formats have square pixels, but many legacy formats (like DV) have rectangular pixels...  And the fact is, Premiere may not be the ideal program for editing animation.

AfterEffects (which is even more complex than Premiere) may be a better option.  And of course, this forum is an incredible searchable resource to find answers to many of your questions..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey Mgrenadier, 

Thank you! I will look into the sequence settings more and try and learn more about it. As I said to Ann in my reply, I am working on getting actually schooled in Adobe, before I just did not have the funds nor time to do it (as I was in college for a different study) and I just started working with the programs for fun and not for commercial use. Now I am doing that for my band, I'd like to become a professional and learn everything about it. Working on that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ann, 

Thank you for the advice! I am currently studying Illustrator (a course at a college, with material from Adobe such as Classroom in a Book) and I am planning on doing one for Premiere Pro after I have finished this! So I am hoping to understand everything better when I finish these courses.

I will set up my sequence as you suggested, thank you very much for the help! And I will look into getting the same resolution on my Ai files from now as well. I appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines