• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro 2023 slow and sluggish compared to 2021

Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actions are so slow on Premiere Pro 2023.

Hitting space to play the timeline can take around 2 seconds for the video to start playing. Trying to change any values under Effect Controls is also much slower.

Ironically, when I made proxies (Cineform Low Quality), the performance got even worse.

I have tried:

• Clearing media cache
  • Using the latest Beta version (slightly better, still bad compared to 2021)
  • Disabling & Enabling CUDA
  • Turning playback quality to 'high'
  • Different proxy types
  • Removing & reattaching the proxies
  • Scouring the forums and the web in search for answers

Sadly nothing has helped yet.

Like few others, I have also noticed it not using the GPU as much as it is using the CPU.

My computer specs:

• Nvidia GeForce 2080
  • 128GB DDR4 RAM @ 3400mhz
  • intel i9-9900k CPU

The fact that Adobe is also removing older versions from the Creative Cloud means that I cannot use PPro 2021, as Media Encoder no longer works with it as it was removed. It claims it's uninstalled.

This is very frustrating and I am very close to cancelling my subscription.

Bug Unresolved Locked

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jul 11, 2023 Jul 11, 2023

Hi,

This thread is getting to be a catch can for all performance-related issues. Many of them are not related to one another. The community can't seem to help the variety of performance issues some of you are having. Sorry for the frustration.

I advise you to create a new post with concise details about your system and media rather than generically complaining about performance. Using the format given in the pinned post, How do I write a bug report? Kindly write up your bug report and post tha

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 136 Replies 136
136 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah this is how my cpus was looking when just doing a playback in the source monitor, simple video in 4k 1.28 minutes long.

bkmvl_0-1669829418120.png

That looks more like when i render out the final movie, not when just watching.

I run with Dual Xeon E5 2640-v4 2.4ghz 10 core, 128 gig ram quadro p5000 16 gig, but sure the project runs of a regular drive, which should be fine considering it is not red footage at 8k or something, cache is located on an SSD(X:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, bkmvl,

Which GPU driver are you running?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here: sometimes it takes up to 5 seconds to start play, and I am on a lightning fast computer. Premiere Pro is working against me, again. This summer it was not being able to make proxies of slowmotion footage, it took Adobe months to fix that issue. Now this. It is frustrating and it is purely for the love of dynamic linking with After Effects and the habituation of operating in Premiere Pro that I still have some patience left. But I will slowely start switching to Davinci Resolve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar... especially when using the multitimeline, it crashes often. Loss of video stream and I have to restart premiere

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2022 Dec 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Kevin

I run the 527.27 production-desktop drivers, right now it seems better "527.27-quadro-rtx-desktop-notebook-win10-win11-64bit-international-dch-whql.exe"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For sure your 400!! processes will not help the situation. Mine went up 10 processes from Windows 10 to 11, but now I've tweaked and settled down to 109 after booting and around 120 when running PP. Those are the biggest stealers of time via CPU cycles. That's one area ready for some optimizing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try 517. xx. That is the one known to work well with 23.0.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Kevin. Any updates regarding this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates regarding this issue???

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here! Even with working on HD clips with a brand new iMac everything lags.

Please give us a fix or update on this problem. Why does adobe keep upgrading and making it worse for us?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, did you ever get any solutions on this? I've been running into a similar situation with '23. My footage is all proxied Apple Pro Res 422 Proxy, and literally across the board on all my projects this is happening. I can't manuever in the software as fast as I was a week ago at all. It's beyond frusturating, I too am behind on projects right now as I am legit working at the rate of a snail. Not only is playback weird, but just moving through the software, the curser on the timeline, and any actions, copy/pasting clips, duping clips, etc everything - is just laggy. I also tried everything you tried in your post. I don't know WTF is going on /: 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted near the top and I'm still having trouble.  It seems like Adobe software is sucking the life out of my machine. For example, I'm currently outputting a video through Media Encoder, and it's completely pulled power from all my other software, including Chrome.  I can barely type this message.  I feel like I'm on a 15 year old machine.  Is this planned obsolescence?  My MacBook Pro is 2.5 years old.  Seriously, WTF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of footage is it, Howard? From which camera?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled 2023 and reinstalled 22 to fix the issue. Totally unusable as it was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brother,
I thought that was a RAM problem, upgraded it, and nothing solved.
Never had this kind of problem before this version.
Now, it seems that is something related about this update.
Noticed too that there's a lot of issues related about freezing and mainly chopping playback.
It's not possible, Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you do the downgrade?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for slow reply. Just go to Creative Cloud App, select Premiere Pro and on right side (...) Other Versions, choose the one you want and install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have posted the same issue with no solution whatsoever. The solutions mentioned just does not work for me.
A project I started with no problems became a nigthmare just because I updated Premiere a few times. These updates aren't making any good, simply unacceptable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, 

didn't know about this possibility.
What version did you choose? 22.0, 22.1.xx?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I would not like to have that issue.

I can edit flawlessly in less powerful computers, therefore, I was wondering if the type of footage does not trigger the issue: what are the settings? is it AVCHD? is it VBR footage, etc. Please state what kind of footage, and the settings used on the timeline. Make sure also to get rid of other programs running at the same time, remove them one by one to check if you do not find the offending one...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's adjust to the flaws of the software; great solution. Maybe just stop editing and you won't have any trouble! Jokes aside: here it is mp4 and mov files not running smoothly, at all. Running on the fastest Apple computer with no other software open. I just downloaded version 26.1 and will try later if that solves any of the lagging.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, PECourtejoie,

For me, it's the same footage* since oldest versions, same programs running backgroud and never had this kind of issue.
It's so strange.

FYI
Type: MPEG Movie
Image Size: 3840 x 2160
Frame Rate: 23,976
Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 16-bit - Stereo
Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo
Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1,0
Alpha: None
Color Space: Rec. 709
Color Space Override: Off
Input LUT: None
Video Codec Type: MP4/MOV H.264 4:2:0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if you feel that way by my answer, I'm just trying to help you troubleshoot your issue, and provide some food for thought, it seems that the issue is difficult to pinpoint, therefore I gave some nudges...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks man, but this problem is not on the user side if you ask me. Adobe has to troubleshoot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but the Adobe staff needs to have reproducable steps to fix the problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate