Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro 22.1.2 slow and freezes - Mac

Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2022 Feb 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Afternoon everybody. 

Using Premiere 22.1.2 on a Mac Mini, M1 chip, 16gb RAM. 

The application ran smoothly and efficinetly, with quick responses until last Friday afternoon where it decided to slow down to an unusable speed. Playback is still fairly decent, however I am almost unable to scroll through the timeline, any click takes at least 5 - 10 seconds to respond, footage takes a while to load up. If I exit the application and re-open it tends to work as should for a period; it's usually as soon as I open up the colour correction panel or effect panel where the issue kicks in. Even if I disable all effects or remove any colour changes, Premiere still runs unresponsive and inpractical. 

Source footage is stored on an external HDD. I'm usually working H.264 - I have attempted to see whether transcoding to ProRes would help and also used Proxies but both failed to fix the problem. 

I have also tried: 
Clearing the cache
Using full playback and HQ playback 
Unistalled and Renistalled
Installed older 2021 version
Clearing trash preferances
Optomised rendering for performance 
Disabled Mercury Transmit
Disabled Refresh Growing Files

I use Premiere for my work and it's currently in an unusable state. Any help would be much appriciated. 

TOPICS
Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Hello,

I was informed by @gilligan in a PM that Premiere Pro version 23.0 has solved his issue. Though the post is locked, I thought I would pass along the info to the community.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ollieep85,

I had success getting premiere to work by uninstalling all my plugins, uninstalling premiere, after effects, and media encoder, then re-installing. I had to uninstall premiere and re-install a few times before things worked. But I would say this would be your best bet. It might take a whole afternoon, but it did eventually start working for me. My money is on it having something to do with the plugins I had installed (red giant might have been the biggest issue...). Hopefully, this helps, and hopefully, you're able to get back up and running soon, that isn't fun when it isn't working. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2022 Jul 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here.  And everything is at it's newest and updated.  MacMini.  M1 Chip. 16GB.  OS 12.4  It will stutter or freeze, then resume. The whole reason I upgraded was to have smooth 4K video. Nope. What's the fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, dogthecat,

Sorry to hear of your performance issues. There are two things I would try: 1) transcode or create proxies for 4K footage. 2) Reinstall an earlier version. I have heard that the latest version is not as performant as the previous version on Apple silicon. Can you reinstall the previous version to see if you can get your previous performance to return? Let us know if either of these things works for you.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2022 Mar 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice, Christian! I have been using Premiere for 10 years now, and haven't heard of this before. But it has already been bookmarked for a rainy day. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2022 Oct 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We did this on our computers and it has worked much better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 4 M1 Chip Macs, both Mini's and Macbook Pros.  None of them will run the simplest of Premiere files.  I just had a very choppy attempt at a 15 second timeline!  When I went to export, it took 28 minutes!  I tried on al of my machines and essentially the same thing, only slight differences.  This has to get fixed Adobe!

Please respond!

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @artw69805843, I'm sorry that you're having this issue. Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing premiere pro? Uninstall using the Adobe CC Cleaner: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html 

I was having issues with premiere recently until I uninstalled premiere and plugins. After that things started working much better. 

If you've tried that, I'm curious what types of video files you're working with. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Silas,

Thanks for writing.

I have not tried the cleaner.  I will attempt that later today or tomorrow morning and see what happens.  I was not able to use "uninstall" on any of my machines, as it would not let me.

Thank you,

Art

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Art! 

I thought I'd check-in and see if using the cleaner helped, or if you were able to get things working.

Silas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2022 Oct 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing here on my Mac mini M1, 8gb, that alaways ran honestly even big projects with 4k files. Impossible to work. A 10 seconds timeline taking more than 20 minutes to export. Did you uninstall? Did it work? Almost going crazy...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 11, 2022 Oct 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fernando,

This is a thread from earlier this year and refers to 22.1.2. Are you also having trouble with this version? Have you updated to 22.6.2 yet? Have you tried a brand-new project in your testing? Let us know more details about what's going on.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2022 Oct 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Kevin. Thanks for the fast reply. Yes, i have the updated version of
Premiere Pro and running MacOS Monterey 12.4. I've tried everything from
cleaning media cache to create a new session. Anyway, i used the link i
found on this thread to uninstall Premiere Pro and installed it again. It
worked. Thinking about it now, i'm just not 100% sure if i created a new
session only after uninstall PP.

Thank you again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2022 May 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue. MacBook Pro 15" 2018 (core i-7, 16gb). It's not about playback, it's about interface. It even starts lagging when there is no files on the timeline. I've noticed that it starts lagging when you switch workspace views and after that it doesn't unfreezes. I've tried to reinstall all creative cloud apps using cc cleaner, maybe it helped a bit, but haven't solved the problem. Premiere is still lagging as hell. I can't even work with screen recording files... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Maksim, I'm sorry about that. I've not experienced lagging while using the interface since I did the re-install. Are you on the most recent version of Mac OS?

As for screen recordings, I might have a solution that could help. When screen recordings are lagging I use HandBrake to reformat the files so that they will work inside Premiere.  (https://handbrake.fr/downloads.php) It is free and works great.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issues here (since Premiere Pro 22.0 until 22.6.2, using a Mac Pro late 2013 with macOS Monterey (12.5.1))
Every action in the timeline is lagging like hell and the app is unusable. Tried almost everything I could find on the web and nothing worked   
BUT
I went back to version 15.4.5 and it's working fine! 
That's the only solution I found so far. Let's hope for a better Premiere Pro 23... I think? 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, gilligan,

Sorry about the issue. Can you check the system requirements? You may be falling short there with this version and specific media types. I'll keep my eye open for other Mac 2013 owners using Premiere Pro and see if I can find anything for you. 

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Kevin,
thanks for the reply. I don't quite understand what you're meaning by system requirements. System requirements are the configuration that a system must have in order for a hardware or software application to run smoothly and efficiently. Well, I don't know them. 
I only can tell you my system specs:

Modellname: Mac Pro

Modell-Identification: MacPro6,1

Processor type: 6-Core Intel Xeon E5

Processor speed: 3,5 GHz

Number of processors: 1

Number of cores: 6

L2-Cache (per core): 256 KB

L3-Cache: 12 MB

Systemversion: macOS 12.5.1 (21G83)

Kernel-Version: Darwin 21.6.0

Startvolume: Black

Startmodus: Normal

Gerätename: MrBlack

Benutzername: AIDA Concept (aida)

Sicherer virtueller Speicher: Aktiviert

Systemintegritätsschutz: Aktiviert

Zeit seit dem Start: 16:44

Hyper-Threading Technology: active

RAM: 64 GB

Graphics: AMD FirePro D300

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

VRAM: 2 GB

Hardware-ID: 0x6810

Version-ID: 0x0000

ROM-Version: 113-C4012F-687

VBIOS-Version: 113-C4012PB-012

EFI-Treiberversion: 01.0D.687

Automatischer Wechsel der Grafikmodi: Unterstützt

gMux-Version: 4.0.11 [3.2.8]

Metal-Familie: Unterstützt, Metal GPUFamily macOS 2

macOS 12.5.1 (21G83)

Kernel-Version: Darwin 21.6.0

Hope, that helps identifying the problem.

Thanks,

Frank

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the info. Here are the system requirements. What kind of footage are you editing? Is it 4K H.264? Let me know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't say which generation of CPU the 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 is, but my hardware seems to fullfill all other requirements.

Premiere was laggy with every footage – even 1080p at 30fps.
As described same footage works just fine with the older version 15.4.5 (or DaVinciResolve 😉)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, gilligan,

Sorry about all the hassles. The Xeon processor is a 6th generation one, which meets only the minimum requirements. I could recommend it for lightweight HD sequences using an editing codec (like ProRes LT) with current versions. With a nearly ten-year-old computer, I can recommend you make certain workflow "adjustments" as time marches forward, and versions of Premiere Pro become more demanding.

I cannot recommend this computer for 4K H.264 work because of the CPU and GPU operating at such system requirements. Xeon processors also do not support Quick Sync technology to handle H.264 footage, so you may need to transcode or create proxies - even for HD. If it is H.264, take action with optimizing footage, and you should be OK. If you need help with that, let me know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello,

I was informed by @gilligan in a PM that Premiere Pro version 23.0 has solved his issue. Though the post is locked, I thought I would pass along the info to the community.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines