Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Compared to v15.4.1:

I can not preview any H265 video.

Render in-out does not help.

Tried DDU and latest studio drivers.

Compared to v22.1:

Gets stuck on media pending and PP crashes withouth any trace.

Win10 latest build as of date

Ryzen 7 5800x
RTX 3070

TOPICS
Crash , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there cizkek_,

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experiences with 22.2. Hope we can help. 

I read in an article from Puget Systems that specific variants of H.265 are only supported with some computer systems and CPUs. I will try to dig that up for you. It's possible that you do not have the recommended hardware to support the feature or make it worthwhile to use in its native form.

For situations like this, editors prefer to transcode or work with proxies regarding H.264 and HEVC footage, especially those with CPUs that do not have the advantage of Quick Sync. Can you give us full details about the media? A screenshot of what MediaInfo sees in "Tree View" would be helpful. Do you need help with that? If so, let us know.

You and others have reported that the HEVC 10-bit 4:2:2 format was more performant in earlier versions of Premiere Pro. Not sure why that is the case, but that's disappointing, so, sorry about that. There is new support for HEVC 10-bit 4:2:0 in the latest version, and I'm sorry if that's not working for you if that is the format you are speaking of.

I'm going to branch this thread for troubleshooting your issue. 

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your quick reply.

Here are some screenshots regarding my source material. I have begun editing this music video a month ago and I was nearing completion. The screen blackouts I have mentioned got a bit more frequent lately so I decided to upgrade but in the latest version (22 onwards) preview of any quality is impossible for these files.

For v15.4.1 I see Event ID 1 for my Nvidia graphics card, its as if the drive crashes. For now I have a hunch that its caused by one of my displays being 144hz while the other is 60hz. So both are 60hz for today and I have not experienced blackouts so far.

Regarding the playback issue, strangely I was able to edit a short 40 second 1080p sequence for another material in v22. I have scrolled through and have choosen from around 20 minute of source material in a single sequence. The relevant screenshot of that material is also available below.

The music video project can be easily previewed on my sytem without any issues with v15.4.1. Only a little bit of hiccups everyonce in a while but I am even able to preview it in Full quality without skips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately for this music video project I have around 1TB of files and no budget for any new hardware. Since playback and preview was possible in v15.4.1 I have decided to skip proxies because space issues. But the behaviour in v22 is quite strange. If you have any information regarding the blackouts it would be very helpful for me. I can provide logs regarding the crashes because they do not happen with resource intensive games or audio production.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

Here is the article: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/What-H-264-and-H-265-Hardware-Decoding-is-Supported-in-Pr...

It appears that with your GPU, and according to that article, you should be able to handle the playback of 10-bit 4:2:0 HEVC files so I'm not sure why you are having so much trouble with it.

As an observer, it may be due to the additional GPU processes you are requiring of it as some of your sources are HD and others are UHD. Scaling up or down does hog GPU cycles, as does any RT GPU accelerated effects, such as, Lumetri. If you do have crash logs, I can pass those along to engineering who can, perhaps, provide a window on what's going on with your project and why you are hitting some bottlenecks. Hope we can help.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 05, 2022 Mar 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi cizkek_,

We have worked on improving the performance of 10 bit 4:2:0 HEVC files in Premiere Pro. Would you mind trying our latest beta release to check if it's working properly? You may refer to this link to know more about the Creative Cloud beta program. Let us know if it helps.

Thanks,

Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines