Today I've been working on a project and I've had to transfer it from one computer to another via USB which was troublesome enough (I had to reformat the USB). I used Project Manager to copy all of the files required onto the USB and now I have opened the project on the other computer and it's saying that there are missing media for some clips. So I decide to manually locate the media files even though they are in the exact same folder that the project file is in. So I do that and now Premiere Pro is giving me "Cannot Link Media. The selected file cannot be linked because its file type (video) does not match the original file's type (audio and video).". This is simply not the case, as when I watch the videos in Windows Media Player (now called Films & TV) the video definitely has audio. The videos are in MP4 format. I have used Project Manager to move a project from one computer to another before and it worked fine. Help.
Rename top folder the footage is in and try to re-link again.
See if that will help.
- - - "Rename top folder the footage is in and try to re-link again. See if that will help. - - -
This works 100%
I don't understand why, but this worked. I was running into an issue where Premiere could link the video but was deleting the imbedded audio. Renaming the first level folder name did the trick for some reason! Weird that that issue would still be present 5 years later...
Renaming the folder compels Premiere to make new media cache.
I am not a fan of the Project Manager. I feel the best tool for file management is a file manager, like Windows Explorer or Finder.
My advice would be to start over. Manually copy all the media from the original computer to the USB drive, plus the project file. Use that to rebuild the project on the second machine.
This worked. What a weird thing.
I had the same issue but fixed it by right clicking on the clip in the timeline and then selecting "make offline" then selected "Media files remain on disk" and then once it was offline I was able to right click on the clip again in the timeline and now the "link media" option was able to be selected, so I then relinked the media successfully!
I have no idea what caused this issue, i do not recall moving any files.... anyway mystery solved for me. I hope this helps someone else.