Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CC 2017.1 - Titles workspace and tool

Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I downloaded the trial version of Premier Pro CC 2017 and cannot find a way to add 'Titles'.  According to tutorials I've found you 'right-click' the add button in the project panel but there's no 'Title' function.  I also tried the Workspace under Window and under File but 'Titles' is not there.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Do I need to install a secondary piece of software for Titles to work?

Any help would be great ... I'm completely new to video editing.

Thanks

Graham

[Title edited for clarity.  — Mod.]

TOPICS
How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Apr 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017

Hey Graham

Title functionality just changed in the update released last week... if you just downloaded then yes,  "Titles"   has been replaced by the Text Tool / Essential Graphics panel.

The NEW Essential Graphics Panel in Premiere Pro CC 2017 (Spring Update) - YouTube

Have a look at some of the new tutorials for this new tool. Or you can bring up the old Title tool by choose File menu > New > Legacy Title.

Hope it helps.

Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 133 Replies 133
Contributor ,
Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there anyway to do multiple tab stops like the old title package? I used this all the time for rolling credits.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a Tab Width control in the EGP when you have Text selected.

EGP_TabWidth.png

It doesn't work exactly the same way as the Tab Stops dialog in the Legacy titler, but it should be useful for something like a multi column text layout in rolling credits. If you get a chance to try it, please post back here so we'll know how it worked for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 30, 2017 Aug 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ACP you wrote:

No, it wasn't thought of through just adding something to add a "New Feature!". And is expected to over time be the best, most capable way of building the graphics we use. It just is a baby yet.

That's well and good, but I'm not particularly excited by what is "expected" to be a useful feature after an unspecified period of possible future development. I only get to use the product that Adobe ships today, and besides, I've been working on the fringes of software development long enough that I no longer believe in the future.  In the software world, the future is nothing but the fever dream of a young engineer, and it'll never happen.

Premiere Pro is a mature product in the care of a calcified behemoth, and is frankly not entitled to the kind of slack we might cut for a new product or for a startup company. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 30, 2017 Aug 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the software world, the future is nothing but the fever dream of a young engineer, and it'll never happen.

Which is why there are never new programs or ideas or changes to current ones, and we're all still using CS6.

Or maybe, not?

Premiere Pro is a mature product in the care of a calcified behemoth, and is frankly not entitled to the kind of slack we might cut for a new product or for a startup company.

Said "calcified behemoth" is in reality the company that's coming up with all sorts of new mobile apps, means of distributing ideas/concepts/prototypes through various apps/devices and collaborative processes ... on an ongoing and continual basis.

And I regularly use some of the new apps & processes this calcified behemoth has put out for use. Along with some of their older products. Like oh, many thousands of other users.

Do the various program development teams ... btw, rather smaller than you might think, and based all over the world, with members from different countries as a 'norm' ... make mistakes, bad choices, or ones different at least from what you, myself, or other users would prefer?

Oh, of course so. We're all human, right?

So yea, I've gritched here and other places about decisions I've not been pleased with. And I've done so in person with staffers at both four NAB's and at the San Diego MAX conference. And you're most welcome to do the same! And file bug/feature reports aplenty over things you think they've screwed up.

The limitations of Lumetri compared with the older Direct Link process to the now EOL'd SpeedGrade being one of my most public disagreements with the PrPro app team. Which you can find all over this and the SpeedGrade forum.

But when they do good stuff, and they do ... I also recognize that. And I'm very aware that anything they do that one user thinks is Good Stuff, another will use to show that the program is on a fast track to the proverbial unpleasant final repository of human souls.

Such is life among humans, no?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i updated the other day, and last night i went to add a title, and the toolbar option was no longer there. i don't even remember what was there. i just know its muscle memory i went up to the toolbar, clicked something, and my title editor popped up. so after figuring out how to find and get to this... i have one minor complaint. it would be nice if editing text in the new tool was the least but obvious of how to edit the text. just looking at this, nothing is jumping out at me. there should be an open box, that has "new text layer" highlighted where its obvious that "oh ok,. this is where i type stuff, so i clear this out and type my own stuff" i figured maybe if i double click on the "new text layer" within the EGP, it would highlight it, or open up a new window. but nothing happened. so i figured i woudl right click it. it gave some copy and past options, but nothing read "edit the text as shown" i double click the text in the preview monitor, that does nothing. not to sound passive aggressive, but i guess we just aren't meant to use this yet??? no matte what, i should be able to sit this in front of my mom and have her immediately get to work. if it doesn't pass the "over middle aged mom" test, it's not ready for prime time. kind of disappointing it's not obvious in the eternal words of steve jobs, "it just doesn't work." i still have not figured out how to change "new text layer" yet. it just sits there. laughing and taunting me. *shrug*

text.JPG

edit to add: ok i just figured it out. so after i closed the panel to get it out of the way, i saw my tools and by clicking the text tool there it allowed me to edit the text. has that always been there? i've used premiere since 2010 and i don't think i ever even used that, or acknowledged it. *shrug*

tool.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried using the new EGP a few times since I replied to this thread in July and it's really a mess. Besides it's usability issues, I continued to have performance problems when scrubbing over any clips with EGP, and was able to duplicate this performance issue on both a Mac and a PC.

I'm fine with using the Legacy Titler for the quick and dirty stuff, with my only complaint that I have to click a couple more times to create a new Legacy Title.

I suggest Adobe stops putting resources into the EGP as it already seems to be a bit of a lost cause and I don't know any Premiere user in my group of prosumer editors that actually uses it, let alone prefers it. We all kind of poked at it for a project or two and then shrugged it off as awkward if not downright difficult to use. We all use Legacy Titler or Photoshop for the more complicated titles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The EGP comes at graphics in a totally different way than the old Titler ... so there's a big problem as the concept of how things are done doesn't have squat to do with the old way, and it takes a few minutes reading and or watching tutorials to start to see how this works.

After you get a bit of the idea, it's finally got some things to it that are quite useful and getting to be past what could be done with the titler. The version in 2017 was sort of a 0.8, and this in 2018 the 1.0 version. You can "protect" your intro/outro animations so that changing the length of the graphic doesn't change the timing of the animations, pin different text & shape objects together for placement/movement, things like that.

I note you've got just a floating panel ... I really recommend using the EGP workspace itself. The EGP is on the right side of things, that's where you select or add layers/objects, and can set your text options and save things as master text styles and such.

Most animations are handled in the ECP on the left side ... where all other sequence animations are also keyframed. So that is actually a logical placement of animation within this new layout.

There are a number of things you can do to create, import, and modify text and graphic shapes in the PrPro EGP. Using AfterEffects, there are a lot more things that can be animated or modified, and when saved as mogrts, imported into PrPro projects with as many of those options available for modification in PrPro by the editor as the Ae person puts in the box for those.

Where this is going is way past what could have been done in the old Titler. Yea, it's weirdly different at first. And yea, it takes some learning and practice to get it down. And ... yes, there are some things that are not quite doable there yet, though by the time you take Ae into account, not much. There are things that weren't easy to do in the old Titler also.

I understand the frustration of having a huge change in workflow "thrown" at you. It's easy to just do as we've done with that muscle memory moving things fast. However, this is a major step forward in a number of ways, and ... I've seen several others that have essentially said they'd rather slow down their work for a month or two to get up to speed in a different NLE than spend a day or two getting up to speed using the EGP.

That ... puzzles me. But of course, everyone's mileage also varies.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Part of the problem, and we've all seen this on other Adobe products (especially reminds me of the usability disaster that was Acrobat DC when it replaced Acrobat 11), is that they released a feature incomplete and I would go as far to say buggy new feature and then touted it as the "replacement" for the existing Titler. We all had issues with the Titler, but at least it worked.

As you said, EGP in PP 2017 operated like a Beta release, and instead of offering people the option to start using it, they made the Legacy Titler the "option", and hid it. Thus caused these endless Google searches for "Where in the Titler in PP 2017?".

That act by Adobe for PP 2017 certainly rubbed me the wrong way, and when I did try to be a good sport and watch the videos and learn to use EGP I quickly ran into the bugs, bad performance, and just general half-baked ideas that it contained. I couldn't imagine struggling with this feature if I had a deadline.

For me, it's a non issue as I already have an established workflow with graphics and titles involving Photoshop and After Effects. Personally I have no reason to switch my workflow to EGP and based on what I experienced with 2017's EGP, I don't have much of a desire to give it another chance. It just isn't enough of a time saver nor dramatic enough of a feature enhancement for me to take the time to learn it's quirks.

Sadly I feel that the Legacy Titler's days are limited and I would not be surprised to see it vanish from PP 2018, just like all those features we had working fine in Acrobat 11 eventually disappeared from Acrobat DC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The release of the EGP was as stated in this forum by a couple of the actual development team members, meant to be sort of a public-beta release and they were on here asking for bug/feature reports on it. Which was great.

The way they nearly hid the old Titler while removing the template capabilities for it, was not great.

That combination severely nailed many of the professional editors, and wasn't actually needed. Simply adding the EGP would have been a very good thing, but the hiding of the old Titler was dumb. And painful.

There's some decent capabilities coming into the EGP now, especially if you've got some Ae experience as you can animate/modify more characteristics of your graphics over there. Thankfully, the "pipeline" to produce graphics and things in P-Shop and Illustrator still is quite workable. I've never done much of that but know that for many others, that's their work practice. Largely because the old Titler itself was so limited.

As it is ... I've avoided Ae any time I could. I'm now starting to work at learning that, simply for the EGP stuff over there. I've seen some cool stuff ... so here I am, at my age, heading into Ae ... weird.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines