Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CC 2017.1 - Titles workspace and tool

Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I downloaded the trial version of Premier Pro CC 2017 and cannot find a way to add 'Titles'.  According to tutorials I've found you 'right-click' the add button in the project panel but there's no 'Title' function.  I also tried the Workspace under Window and under File but 'Titles' is not there.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Do I need to install a secondary piece of software for Titles to work?

Any help would be great ... I'm completely new to video editing.

Thanks

Graham

[Title edited for clarity.  — Mod.]

TOPICS
How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Apr 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017

Hey Graham

Title functionality just changed in the update released last week... if you just downloaded then yes,  "Titles"   has been replaced by the Text Tool / Essential Graphics panel.

The NEW Essential Graphics Panel in Premiere Pro CC 2017 (Spring Update) - YouTube

Have a look at some of the new tutorials for this new tool. Or you can bring up the old Title tool by choose File menu > New > Legacy Title.

Hope it helps.

Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 133 Replies 133
Enthusiast ,
Aug 25, 2017 Aug 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply, Stefan.

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Stefan+Gruenwedel  wrote

Titles (now called "motion graphics") no longer appear in your Project panel because they aren't supposed to.

Says who? Now you have an event in your timeline that doesn't refer to any asset in your project. That is bad. Scattering assets all over the place is a regression. How many more repositories are they going to add to the product?

Instead, you export them as motion graphic templates (.mgrt or "mogurt" files) to your CC Library and reuse them or share them from there.

With the clip selected, right-click and choose Export As Motion Graphic Template — or choose Graphics > Export As Motion Graphic Template from the main menu.

There are a couple of major problems here. First of all, we're supposed to remember to go through this rigamarole every time we add a caption to our timeline? And again, why not add graphics to our bin upon creation, and then let us share any of them that are special enough to warrant it, from there?

And why would I want my CC library cluttered with a giant mass of single-use titles or captions?

And, since we don't have any central location for our project assets anymore, what happens if I want to gather up and archive all the assets used for a particular project, so that they're available even when my CC library is inaccessible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 25, 2017 Aug 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Mobius+Strip  wrote

Now you have an event in your timeline that doesn't refer to any asset in your project. That is bad. Scattering assets all over the place is a regression. How many more repositories are they going to add to the product?

Please tell the product team: Feature Request/Bug Report Form. Heck, it might be great to allow this behavior in Preferences — maybe a Save Motion Graphic to Bin check box?

There are a couple of major problems here. First of all, we're supposed to remember to go through this rigamarole every time we add a caption to our timeline? And again, why not add graphics to our bin upon creation, and then let us share any of them that are special enough to warrant it, from there?

And why would I want my CC library cluttered with a giant mass of single-use titles or captions?

And, since we don't have any central location for our project assets anymore, what happens if I want to gather up and archive all the assets used for a particular project, so that they're available even when my CC library is inaccessible?

I don't see much rigamarole in adding the title to a sequence. It's actually simpler than it was using the old Title tool. Let's see: create default still, verify clip settings in a dialog box, create the title in a separate window that's divorced from the Program panel, counter-intuitively close the panel in order to save your changes, and then drag the title clip from the project panel to where it should be in the sequence. Now that seems like a textbook case of rigamarole.

Exporting a title graphic as a template is as straightforward as it was before. Now: Graphics > Export As Motion Graphic Template. Before: File > Export > Title.

You don't have to clutter your CC Library with single use titles or captions. Create a separate Library just for those titles that warrant it. You can also save these .mgrt files to your desktop and archive them outside of CC Libraries.

I understand that you are unhappy with the new title workflow. You are not alone! I agree that the new title tool is suboptimal and its discovery within the product could have been much better thought out from the get go. (And it shouldn't be crashing anyone's app!) All I can say is that there will be improvements made to it based on the feedback that you and others give the product team through that feedback form.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 27, 2017 Aug 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see much rigamarole in adding the title to a sequence. It's actually simpler than it was using the old Title tool.

I totally agree. That's why I think this workflow should be front and center in all documentation and tutorials, but is bafflingly absent.

Exporting a title graphic as a template is as straightforward as it was before. Now: Graphics > Export As Motion Graphic Template. Before: File > Export > Title.

Well, since I've never done this or felt the need to do so, I'll take your word for it. I can see how they'd be useful though.

You don't have to clutter your CC Library with single use titles or captions. Create a separate Library just for those titles that warrant it. You can also save these .mgrt files to your desktop and archive them outside of CC Libraries.

But that was the suggested workaround for the fact that our titles are missing from the project bin. And I also don't really see why we should have to manually add every single title to some special "library" or disk location after we create it. There should be a reference to the mgrt file in the bin; it's that simple.

I don't like the old tool either, so I'm up for a new one. And I don't even have a problem abolishing the old one, because we don't want an application carrying a load of legacy junk around. But the new one should be well-designed and comprehensible, which it currently is not.

Thanks for your reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 28, 2017 Aug 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Stefan+Gruenwedel   wrote

But that was the suggested workaround for the fact that our titles are missing from the project bin. And I also don't really see why we should have to manually add every single title to some special "library" or disk location after we create it. There should be a reference to the mgrt file in the bin; it's that simple.

I don't like the old tool either, so I'm up for a new one. And I don't even have a problem abolishing the old one, because we don't want an application carrying a load of legacy junk around. But the new one should be well-designed and comprehensible, which it currently is not.

Thanks for your reply!

Hopefully it will be helpful if I clarify some things.

You don't need to export all your titles, just create them and copy them around in a sequence or to other sequences right in the timeline. In Pr 11.1.n, you only need to export the ones you want to share from project to project or to other users. The same was essentially true of Legacy Titles as well. True, with LT's you have the option of finding and importing them from within old projects or from an OS folder, but how is that any quicker than just drag and drop from EGP?

Graphics are not typically exported to CC Libraries, though they can be if you prefer. By default they are saved to a location on disk which makes them instantly visible in the EGP and usable in any project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply, James.

jstrawn  wrote

You don't need to export all your titles, just create them and copy them around in a sequence or to other sequences right in the timeline.

That's the problem. We're supposed to hunt through our entire timeline (and all of our timelines), scrolling around looking for titles? Clicking on each one to see what it says? Seriously? That is not a production-worthy design, and is clearly inferior to the old one.

I don't much care about sharing titles or graphics between projects. That's not what this is about at all, so we can save time by not continuing to address that issue.

Why, why, why are titles and other graphics that appear in the timeline not in the bin? It seems that everyone is dodging this question, which is fundamental. Why are these assets missing from the bin?

And when you use Project Manager to archive all of the files used in your project timelines, does it gather up the graphics used in a project (mgrt files) and copy them to the specified directory along with all the other files? If not, this must be addressed, because the archive is not complete and the project will be broken without these graphics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why, why, why are titles and other graphics that appear in the timeline not in the bin? It seems that everyone is dodging this question, which is fundamental. Why are these assets missing from the bin?

If by 'bin' you mean the Project Panel (Legacy Titles do not get created into bins by default either), Graphics are not stored there upon creation because it is not needed.

Just make a title in the Program Mon using the type tool and it gets added to your sequence at the playhead. Then alt/opt+drag to copy the Graphic around or use copy & paste. If you have many titles with different looks and layouts, and are worried about finding them later, then make a Motion Graphics Template (MOGRT) for one of each flavor. If you forget to make a MOGRT right away and need to find a title later, then just scrub the playhead or otherwise playback until you see it in the Program Mon. Use the Essential Graphics Panel (EGP) Browser to name, delete, organize, browse and then use MOGRTs in the same or different projects. This is what the EGP browser is made for, and it keeps you from having to sort through Project assets to find a title.

Project manager does not need to collect & copy your project's Graphics it because they are always there in your project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jstrawn  wrote

Use the Essential Graphics Panel (EGP) Browser to name, delete, organize, browse and then use MOGRTs in the same or different projects. This is what the EGP browser is made for, and it keeps you from having to sort through Project assets to find a title.

But now I have to "sort through" this other browser to find graphics, and then sort through my bins to find other project assets. Actually, it's worse than that: I have to sort through the EGP, all of my timelines, and the project bins. Why not centralize everything, and let people share things from the project (bins) as they see fit? Is it not apparent how incredibly tedious it would be to scrub through entire timelines, manually making unnecessary templates out of every single caption?

To simplify this problem, let me ask: How do you go about seeing a list of all the graphics in your project? If the answer is that you have to scrub through your timelines, find each one, and manually add it to some collection... this design sucks.

jstrawn  wrote

Project manager does not need to collect & copy your project's Graphics it because they are always there in your project.

What? If I need to gather up all the assets used in a project, copy them to a portable drive and take them to another physical location and different system, and then continue to work on the project... how will the graphics be available?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jstrawn   wrote

What? If I need to gather up all the assets used in a project, copy them to a portable drive and take them to another physical location and different system, and then continue to work on the project... how will the graphics be available?

Perhaps its easier if you think of graphic Layers like effects, which is really what they are. Graphics in the timeline are just containers for those Layers (Effects) to live in. Graphics can contain media (clip layers) but they don't have to (text, shape layers). So, just like effects, to see them in a project, you simply open that project and find them in your sequence(s). You don't need to move them around with your project because they are an inherent part of it.

Mogrts are not Graphic objects. They are Graphic Template files that you export for use in the same or different projects, or to sell or share. But as soon as you use a mogrt in a sequence, then it is just a Graphic again in that project. At that point, it is no longer linked at all to the .mogrt file you used to bring it in.

Note: A mogrt which was authored in Ae is a little different, because it brings in a special type of AE media, which can be edited using a different sort of UI within the Graphics Panel in Pr. But still, once you bring it into Pr, it is no longer linked to the mogrt form which it came.

As for your other questions, they kind of look like arguments to me, so I'd rather not address each one here... But you would never need to make a mogrt for every single subtitle unless every single subtitle had a totally different look that you planned to use in all your other sequences. In that case, you might want to rethink your design approach... Create one or two Graphics (but probably no more than 3 or 4) to cover things like Titles, Subtitles and Credits, proliferate those through your sequence(s) as needed and then edit what the various instances say. After that, if there are some you really like and use often, export those as mogrt for easy access and/or long term use.

It's true that things have changed and will take some getting used to. But we're pretty confident that you will find the new tools easier to use and won't miss the old titler much once you've had time to adjust. Also, it should help a great deal once we get some of the big remaining gaps filled in (like Multi Select and Rolls). This is why we've left the old tilter intact for now... File > New > Legacy Title...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jstrawn  wrote

Perhaps its easier if you think of graphic Layers like effects, which is really what they are. Graphics in the timeline are just containers for those Layers (Effects) to live in. Graphics can contain media (clip layers) but they don't have to (text, shape layers). So, just like effects, to see them in a project, you simply open that project and find them in your sequence(s). You don't need to move them around with your project because they are an inherent part of it.

Great. That's all I was asking.

jstrawn  wrote

As for your other questions, they kind of look like arguments to me, so I'd rather not address each one here... But you would never need to make a mogrt for every single subtitle unless every single subtitle had a totally different look

Again, this creation of MOGRTs is what you've presented as the only way to organize these graphics. This is the workflow you presented, so I don't appreciate having my questions dismissed as "arguments."

jstrawn  wrote

Legacy Titles do not get created into bins by default either

They most certainly did before; and if they don't now, that's a regression and a design defect. The documented method of creating titles up until now was to right-click in the bin and select "New Item" and then "Title." And that's where they lived: in the project bin, where they belong.

I don't want to seem unappreciative of the time you've spent participating in this thread, but from my end it looks like you're deliberately avoiding the issue that I've raised and that Kevin has also concisely illustrated above: These graphics are NOT LISTED IN THE PROJECT BIN, or anywhere else, unless you deliberately create templates from them.  And come to think of it... that doesn't solve the problem at all. You're creating a template; changing it won't change an instance that already exists in your timeline, will it?

So we're back to this fundamental and important question, which you ignored:

"How do you go about seeing a list of all the graphics in your project?"

It appears that I'm not the only one who has this question.

Thanks for your reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2017 Aug 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Mobius Strip,

If you're looking for an alternative method to see / organise graphic effects used in your timeline,  one way is simply to drag the graphics you create in the sequence directly to your project panel. No need for the export/import of mogrt files.

In the old Legacy Title workflow you had to create each independent title element in the bin/project panel and then drop it into your sequence. In the new Title workflow,  if you want/need title references in you project,  the workflow is simply reversed: you create the title element directly in the sequence and then drop it into your project panel.

Hope it helps

Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not ignoring you, nor dismissing all your questions. Please look above and see how many I have answered already. Your complaints are valid, but decisions have already been made, and Graphics will continue to behave more like effects than media assets. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, it's just reality. So I'd like to help you and others work more happily within the bounds of that reality. Anything else is not a productive use of my time on here.

There is no single feature to reveal all a Project's titles in one list. I could think of some ways to make that happen, but they would all require several steps with not a lot of benefit. That's why I've suggested focusing more on where your graphics lie in your sequence and what they look like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know you are only support, and I am grateful anyone actually answers our questions here. I just think there is a fundamental lack of understanding the kind of work professionals do. Not everyone works in 30 second spots, or music videos. For years adobe wanted to attract the Long form editors. That includes Documentaries and Feature Films. I am lucky enough to be one of those editors. I have spent years slogging my way from AVID, to EDIT, to SpeedRazor (yeah I said it), Back to AVID, to Final Cut, to Smoke , and to Premiere. The Key to anything in all of this is organization. Currently I have a Documentary with approximately 540 hours of footage and more titles and graphics than anyone should be allowed, and A Feature Film with 11.5 TB of Footage and consisting of about 2500 shots. Efficiency in managing this is the only way it works. I rely heavily on my assistant to get everything I need for a scene in bins correctly. My Project windows are a textbook example for hyper organization.  When a director calls for a shot I have it right there and I don't have to go searching for it.

It's these basic fundamentals we do not need adobe leaving out of products. It's what turned everyone off from Final Cut X. I was happy to find adobe re writing the Inscriber cousin that is Legacy Title. (Inscriber is a title tool going all the way back to the targa Framebuffer) Lord knows the title tool needs animation, and a method for sending it to After effects. Just make it an asset in the project that we can easily get to and change. there is no such thing as a next title tool unless we go back to the method of holding a single track for graphics like the old Premiere did with 2 video tracks and a graphics track.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KevinAGI  wrote

I know you are only support, and I am grateful anyone actually answers our questions here. I just think there is a fundamental lack of understanding the kind of work professionals do. Not everyone works in 30 second spots, or music videos. For years adobe wanted to attract the Long form editors. That includes Documentaries and Feature Films. I am lucky enough to be one of those editors. I have spent years slogging my way from AVID, to EDIT, to SpeedRazor (yeah I said it), Back to AVID, to Final Cut, to Smoke , and to Premiere. The Key to anything in all of this is organization. Currently I have a Documentary with approximately 540 hours of footage and more titles and graphics than anyone should be allowed, and A Feature Film with 11.5 TB of Footage and consisting of about 2500 shots. Efficiency in managing this is the only way it works. I rely heavily on my assistant to get everything I need for a scene in bins correctly. My Project windows are a textbook example for hyper organization.  When a director calls for a shot I have it right there and I don't have to go searching for it.

It's these basic fundamentals we do not need adobe leaving out of products. It's what turned everyone off from Final Cut X. I was happy to find adobe re writing the Inscriber cousin that is Legacy Title. (Inscriber is a title tool going all the way back to the targa Framebuffer) Lord knows the title tool needs animation, and a method for sending it to After effects. Just make it an asset in the project that we can easily get to and change. there is no such thing as a next title tool unless we go back to the method of holding a single track for graphics like the old Premiere did with 2 video tracks and a graphics track.

Kevin

I'm not a member of Adobe's technical support team. I am a member of the product team. And on this forum, I am really just a user like you. A user who happens to know a lot about how graphics work and why, but still just a user in this context.

I spend time here because I want to help people work through some of their frustrations. It is not part of my regular duties, and I usually have to squeeze it in here and there after hours or during "lunch". So if I leave some questions unanswered or fail to address each issue separately, that is why. 

We are familiar with the kind of work that professionals do because we work with many of them daily through our beta programs, customer engagements, site visits and more. So the design you see is a result of many hours spent with them in various ways. That is one reason why we made sure to include organization and navigation tools inside the EGP browse tab in CC 2017.1. Also, Graphics is an ongoing area of development so you can expect more enhancements in the future. But for anyone who really feels strongly about having all their graphics added to their Project Panel, I strongly urge you to submit feature requests for that. Convincing me doesn't mean much, and it only deters me from being able to help you work with the features as they currently exist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to set a default still as a title? I am adding subtitles and need the font to be consistent with each title. The button seems to be gone with then update...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jstrawn  wrote

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Mobius+Strip   wrote

If by 'bin' you mean the Project Panel (Legacy Titles do not get created into bins by default either), Graphics are not stored there upon creation because it is not needed.

All of the legacy titles I have ever created get created in the project panel, that is why it asks you to name them. As a matter of fact I always make sure I have my titles folder selected in the project panel before I create a new one. Maybe there is a checkbox I checked when premiere came out and the earth cooled. If there is the new graphics should have the same checkbox.

The fact that you think it is not needed is just flat out wrong. At midnight a client calls "I want all of my title fonts changed in my 3 hour documentary, and I need a new version for a 9 am meeting." (real fact pattern here) Am I going to scroll through the documentary and find all of my titles? NO I am going to my bin, double click on each one, change the font and check the formatting. Hit render, go to sleep on my sofa in my suite, and send it when it is done.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 23, 2017 Aug 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

?

I think maybe a bit of information is of use here ... what you need is certainly available when you know how this thing works, and it is different, no question.

Neil

Essential Graphics Panel (EGP)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAoZme5rOfM  PremiereGal: good overview, short.

https://vimeo.com/211404007 James Strawn, one of the development team for the EGP.

http://www.retooled.net/?p=1693  Basic overview of the EGP, in a bit more depth.

http://www.retooled.net/?p=1696  Extended look at the EGP in depth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been staying out of the frey on this one, but now I have to actually use this tool. My biggest gripe that has not been addressed is the lack of multiple tabs. I do a lot of rolling credits, and make use of multiple tab stops to format may rolling credits. So far I have not been able to find how to reproduce this.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding my voice to this. The old ("Legacy") title tool is really useful, especially for reference when sectioning up a timeline. Essential Graphics is just not very well suited to this task.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 30, 2017 Aug 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is why people hate Adobe.  Why would you eliminate a tool that people use literally all the time, (leaving only the super-secret keystroke combination to activate it)?

And why do you imagine that someone would want to leave the editing workspace in order to add text or titles to a video?

Do your UI designers ever actually watch people use your tools to see how they work?

This has got to be one of the silliest UI innovations I've ever seen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I presume you really meant to respond to a post by jstrawn or one of the other actual staffers the way your post is worded. I'm not a  staffer, but I can reply to some of your post.

As I've noted before, I think the slight relegation of the "Legacy Titler" by changing the way it is "found" in the app wasn't ... optimal, shall we say, to be polite. Wouldn't have been my choice, but at least it is still (mostly) there.

And why do you imagine that someone would want to leave the editing workspace in order to add text or titles to a video?

Well, there are workspaces for color, sound, assembly, effects ... why would titles/graphics necessarily be any different?

Do your UI designers ever actually watch people use your tools to see how they work?

Having met several of the engineers at NAB/Vegas, they tend to be people who do editing and video post professionally themselves. Outside of their work for Adobe PrPro. So they have their own experiences of their careers and the post-houses they've worked in prior to working for Adobe to draw from.

That said, it's been fascinating for me to meet others at NAB and via forums, to find how truly diverse the experiences, needs, and expectations of those using pro-level NLE's are. Just take the use of hover-pop-up "tool tips" in a UI, for example. There are those who passionately argue for those to help especially with new features/tools. And others who passionately argue that hover-tips have no business whatever EVER appearing in a "pro" app's UI. I've been a participant or spectator in arguments over every feature of  PrPro ... with everyone involved having a very different concept of what should "obviously" be done. I've learned that no matter what seems obvious or  useful to me, is not necessarily obvious, useful, or even welcomed by other users.

This has got to be one of the silliest UI innovations I've ever seen.

It was a maddening one for me at first ... "silly" wouldn't have been my descriptor term.

However ... seeing the demos at NAB about both what can be done with it when you learn the way it's been thought out, how it really works ... and also, the explanations of what this will allow as it's fleshed out more in future releases ... in all, it's a brilliant new asset with the program. Very confusing compared with previous methods, surely. And not well documented, most assuredly! Besides currently limited in scope.

I do know of some using this heavily already, especially starting with mogrt's from AE ... and there's much of it that is really wild at what it can do. Right up until ... um ... they can't do what seems the next logical and needed step ... yet.

Patience has never been a virtue those who know me would ascribe as a general descriptor of my personality. Ahem. So, I am ... eager ... for further releases to clean up what is currently a somewhat useful and highly promising tool.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could get accustomed to this, but it does little things that perplex me.  For example, there doesn't seem to be an obvious way to add graphics to your library for re-use in other sequences, and it appears that I can no longer draw primitive shapes on the canvas - but instead have to add one of an arbitrary size, position, and color, and then edit it.  Why would that be better than what was already built?

And what was the impetus to redesign this tool in the first place?  what new functionality or improvements does it add?  What complaints were being addressed? It seems to do exactly the same thing - though I maybe simply haven't found everything there is to find.

I recognize that my perspective might be different than yours.  I work for a software company that creates geospatial and UI components for defense tech.  Our product lifecycles are decades long, and innovating UI merely for the sake of innovation and without a definitive requirement would be considered extremely bad form by our customers. They really don't like surprises.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The EGP does little things that "perplex" most people, I think. It's a rather far-out re-imagining of graphics/text/whatever design use. So, you're just part of the crowd in that respect.

As can be seen in comments above this in this thread alone, there are differences in how some of the users and the engineers think things would be re-used and ... applied. Stored. And from some of the arguments I've been around in the aisles at NAB and various forums ... quite a few users have different ideas from each other on the "proper" way to "hold" or store graphics/titles/text-like-objects/animations to re-use and to share across and between projects and collaborators.

I'm just a 'lone-wolf' "shop", a one-man show. Even then, without any season-long editing to my credits, it's blindingly obvious that if you've got a 26-show season, one character has been in only 7 shows, and you want to quickly find that credit/graphic, being told to scrub through a one-hour sequence to find & copy that 5-second graphic to use in a new show's sequence ... well, it ain't going to sound delightful?

So I do get that some proper holding/storage/retrieval process is an absolute necessity, and well ... the bins have been that process. The EGP stuff when saved through the EGP panel is in the mogrt "template" style though, which isn't quite the same as just storing a graphic to re-use.

And not nearly as handy. That's just one of the things that seem to need modification of the UI for the EGP for many users. Which is why they have encouraged folks to put in the bug/feature requests, even why it was released as soon as it was according to several of the team's published comments: they had this new idea, and wanted the users to post comments & requests/problems. So feel free to post here, and especially to file bug/feature reports/requests on it.

And what was the impetus to redesign this tool in the first place?  what new functionality or improvements does it add?

Many, some available for use now, many more coming when more features are rolled out over time. The old Titler was designed initially (back in the days where thar be dragons!) as a way to just put text across the screen, and oh ... well, maybe put a box behind it or something. And it had a few additions in capability over the years.

The use of graphical elements in moving-image forms such as video has changed dramatically in the last few years. The EGP is designed to be part of this 'modern' era, including the interesting capabilities of mogrt's with AfterEffects capabilities and all, the ability to share via the Adobe "Library" feature with anyone else you're sharing your libraries with, all that sort of thing.

No, it wasn't thought of through just adding something to add a "New Feature!". And is expected to over time be the best, most capable way of building the graphics we use. It just is a baby yet.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/R+Neil+Haugen  wrote

So I do get that some proper holding/storage/retrieval process is an absolute necessity, and well ... the bins have been that process. The EGP stuff when saved through the EGP panel is in the mogrt "template" style though, which isn't quite the same as just storing a graphic to re-use.

Exactly. Simply fixing that, and labeling UI elements properly, would go a long, long way toward "fixing" this tool (which I do welcome).

jstrawn  wrote

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Mobius+Strip   wrote

I'm not ignoring you, nor dismissing all your questions.

I didn't say you were; that kind of mis-paraphrasing has characterized a lot of this thread. I said you ignored the question about why graphics are missing from the bin.

kla66626741  wrote

Hey Mobius Strip,

If you're looking for an alternative method to see / organise graphic effects used in your timeline,  one way is simply to drag the graphics you create in the sequence directly to your project panel.

Thanks, Andy. The old way (creating the titles in the bin with "New item") made more sense, because it ensured that there were no orphaned elements in your timeline that lacked parents in your project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't say you were; that kind of mis-paraphrasing has characterized a lot of this thread. I said you ignored the question about why graphics are missing from the bin.

Sorry, I did not mean to mis-reperesent you. I simply saw these quotes, "it looks like you're deliberately avoiding the issue" and "important question, which you ignored" and I did not want you to think I was intentionally trying to ignore or dismiss you. Please be assured that I am only trying to help people on here, as a fellow user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All good. I just wanted an answer to that one main question.

I did file a feature request about it. I hope the dev team understands the importance of being able to see all of our project's assets in one place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines