Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CC 2017.1 - Titles workspace and tool

Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I downloaded the trial version of Premier Pro CC 2017 and cannot find a way to add 'Titles'.  According to tutorials I've found you 'right-click' the add button in the project panel but there's no 'Title' function.  I also tried the Workspace under Window and under File but 'Titles' is not there.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Do I need to install a secondary piece of software for Titles to work?

Any help would be great ... I'm completely new to video editing.

Thanks

Graham

[Title edited for clarity.  — Mod.]

TOPICS
How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Apr 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017

Hey Graham

Title functionality just changed in the update released last week... if you just downloaded then yes,  "Titles"   has been replaced by the Text Tool / Essential Graphics panel.

The NEW Essential Graphics Panel in Premiere Pro CC 2017 (Spring Update) - YouTube

Have a look at some of the new tutorials for this new tool. Or you can bring up the old Title tool by choose File menu > New > Legacy Title.

Hope it helps.

Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 133 Replies 133
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2017 May 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For you guys suffering with this annoying change like I am, you can open older projects with those titles in them and duplicate and manipulate them if you still need access to the tool.  Ughhh  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 26, 2017 May 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The old Titler tool has been one of the more reviled features of PrPro ... until they rolled out what will eventually replace it, and it became the wonderful beloved Titler.

The EGP is quite a shock, though ... and sure didn't come with an easy & clear set of instructions ... or ... um ... any at all. That said, once one gets into what it can do at this time, it's a pretty good start. But it's so different in operation from the previous one there's no easy way to start with it.

I recommend watching these tutorials, first by James Strawn, one of the developing team members, and who's posted on here in several threads about this some very useful information.

Essential Graphics in Premiere Pro CC 2017.1.1 on Vimeo

reTooled.net has a good one or two ...

reTooled.net – After Effects & Premiere Pro – April 2017- The Essential Graphics Panel in Depth

Plus this one ...

The NEW Essential Graphics Panel in Premiere Pro CC 2017 (Spring Update) - YouTube

What it can do, it does pretty spiffily. For all it can't there's still the "Legacy Titler".

And here's hoping they get a number of the "missing" tools of the new EGP ready & out the door to us users soon.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 29, 2017 May 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell my what to do with all old projects which use titles?
Now becuse of Adobe whim You make them completely incompatible !!!

The projects which have been made just a month ago now they are USELESS beacuse of YOU.

What with these all hours spend with projects ? You don't respect work becuase of You whim to force people to use new tools! [xxxxx]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 29, 2017 May 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, I'm NOT an Adobe employee ... note the "ACP" badge ... Adobe Community Professional ... a fellow user with a noted amount of experience and willingness to assist other users. Adobe employees are always identified as such.

Second, your old titles are still available for use both within previous versions of PrPro and by the File/New/Legacy Titler option in the menus as noted in several threads above. Personally, I typically have 2 or three previous versions installed as I don't normally update projects to another build series.

2017 ... build series 11.x

2015.3/4 .... build series 10.x

2015.0/1/2 ... build series 9.x

2014 .... build series 8.x

CC .... build series 7.x

CS6 ... build serieds 6.x

From that list, each line, you can have one per build currently installed with any other build series. I and many others find this very useful and more reliable than migrating projects forward unless we need to for some special reason.

As noted in many of the posts of this and other threads ... there are a lot of new capabilities that came with the EGP, and some frustrations. I've told the staffers who have appeared here and those I've met over the years that I was disappointed with the rollout of the EGP, and the lack of preparation and information. AND ... that there is the beginning of a vastly improved graphics/titling capability there also.

Take advantage of the posts listing tutorials especially ... I've found those essential to being able to figure out this new thing. I certainly couldn't just by looking at it!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 31, 2017 May 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK being one that immediately sees some potential in this I dug in...

Then failed!. My first attempt at producing a lovely animated Lower third looked like results from my old TARGA days (Neil will get it). Where is the motion blur? Where is the object parenting?  I do not want to go back to the days where I am counting pixels of movement per frame to produce a smooth animation. I feel like they gave us a subset of aftereffects, but then turned off all of the things that actually make it work. Come on people I know there are Beta Testers out there, I use to be one. Someone needs to actually council the product engineering team on how we work.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had to chuckle on your comment. Um, ... yea.

But as James Strawn hath said here, they got it to a point it had some usable parts, and decided to roll out with the partially-featured EGP as the Main Event, rather than an added tool for now.

The working process is ​so​ different that at first, I couldn't do ​squat​. And had to go through the tutorials I've listed just to be  able to make a simple lower-third and modify it to fit what I needed. I've become rather familiar with the range of UI's used in the Adobe DVAs, and when ​I​ can't even begin to puzzle something out, I think many others may have at least some issues also.

However, after learning how this works ... in some ways, it's a more logical pattern more akin to dropping other effects on a sequence, where one uses the ECP to control things. But here, it's a mix or mashup ... some things you control in the EGP panel, some things you control in the ECP panel.

And to get some things we're used to having available in Titler, you ... start with EGP, change some settings in ECP, drop another effect on the ECP from the Effects panel, and use ​that​ controlled via the ECP to change your graphic.

And for other things ... um ... well, fuhgedaboutit. Sigh.

But I will say, after this is filled out with a larger set of capabilities it will be far spiffier.

I would have preferred at this point in time, that they had just ​added​ this and not done any change to the Titler location/capabilities.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/R+Neil+Haugen  wrote

But as James Strawn hath said here, they got it to a point it had some usable parts, and decided to roll out with the partially-featured EGP as the Main Event, rather than an added tool for now.

That's not exactly what I said... but thanks for the votes of confidence, Neil.

The reality is that we have to keep the right balance when it comes to implementing and testing new features. That is a delicate and complex issue, so I'd prefer to focus on providing feature tips and workarounds to users that need them.

Does anyone have a problem they are currently experiencing that we can maybe fix or help you work around? If so, simple steps, objective results/expectations and possibly a screenshot or two are most helpful.

Thanks,

-James

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My last post was rejected, probably because I duplicated my concerns from earlier posts.  Please see my comments above.

Thanks,

Danny

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good correction ... it's not a quote for certain, but to most users, a fair extrapolation I think ... you made some marvelously usable sections of the new panel & rolled it out, with plans for further additions as "we" go along. I have expressed some disappointment in the manner of the rollout, but that's rather minor compared to the usability of the EGP even as it exists.

It's a marvelous addition, and the more I work with it, the ... cooler ... it is.

Which is why I've found the ... angry? ... reactions such a puzzle. The old Titler is still there, although the change to exporting templates from it is unfortunate, and this is a marvelous addition.

And I am rather grateful you come here on your own time to help. You've made some very useful comments for me and many others.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a way to put a preset of the font chosen or write their name in the new text graphics panel?

I have many fonts in my system and for example to see what  starts with letter v every time I have to do a long scroll down to find it.

Many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can create style presets, which is great, but you can't type the font in a search bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True.

That's a function I think all users want to be in the next release, a search bar for fonts. Just the base fonts scroll a LONG time. And for those of use with a certain amount (ahem ... ) of added fonts ourselves ... it's really not handy.

But if you've got a few that you use, DO make style presets of them, that speeds your work immensely.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using PrPro 11.1.1 GM build right now and if I type K into the Font field inside the Essential Graphics panel, it takes me to the K's...  and then if I enter KI, it takes me to font "Kinon"...
On win, at first it looked like that behavior was broken because it was snapping back to my default font (Minion Pro), but after a closer look I realized it was just doing that because I don't have any 'K' fonts on that system. I synced a 'K' font (Kellingrove), re-launched Pr and then it worked.

I can't ever promise what we're going to implement next or when things will be available, but I can say that Font Menu improvements and Font favorites are already well-requested things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might be missing something but in both the Windows and Macintosh UIs there is no place to search for specific fonts, just a giant drop down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I see what you mean, if you open the drop down, then just type a letter, it will take you to the drop down font.  Thank you for explaining this.  It's not that intuitive, but I am glad it's there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BIG help there, James! It didn't look like it would so I hadn't even tried.

Thanks!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Thanks for the update.

I can't seem to find any functionality for modifying the style, font, placement, and movement of subtitle files like SRT.  Are SRTs still relegated to the Captions tab?  Currently we have to use a third party for modifications, it would be great if Premiere could add this functionality to the program. 

Danny

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This feature crashes my projects.  The selecting font function is unstable.  I also have to scroll down the font list every time I need a font that begins past the letter "K".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The render time has increased astronomically.  I have a five minute video with 13 simple pop on/pop off titles; the render time is about an hour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My renders are also glitching.  I'm basically back to the 1997 version of Adobe Premiere 4.1 where waiting 2 hours for a glitchy MOV file was normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 06, 2017 Jul 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried to force myself to use the new Title tool and after a few projects and weeks of screwing around, I can say it really just isn't any good. It's harder to use, and it slows down scrubbing and rendering. If you've found this thread looking for advice on how to use it, my suggestion is try to learn it, but use something else (like Photoshop) to do your titling.

The old Title tool had it's issues but it was fine for the quick and dirty stuff.

The new Title tool is even worse than the old one, making the quick and dirty stuff harder to do, requiring more clicks and screwing around for what I consider an inferior result. Scrubbing and previewing simple 720p, 30fps video turns into a chugging 10fps nightmare with only a single, simple EG title. It's near impossible to preview fades and whatnot because of the slowdown.

By comparison Photoshop titles or the Legacy Title runs perfectly in my program window at 30fps. Layering EG titles and trying to scrub brings my system to it's knees.

I've seen inconsistent rendering times with the new Titles as well, usually by a factor of 2 which is consistent with the slowdown I see when scrubbing.

Thankfully Adobe has had the very un-Adobe-like foresight to actually include the old Title Tool in the newer update so we can choose which one we want.

Neither Title tool is going to be a replacement for decent titles made in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 06, 2017 Jul 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Thankfully Adobe has had the very un-Adobe-like foresight to actually include the old Title Tool in the newer update so we can choose which one we want."

Actually, this is pretty standard in PrPro ... look at all the "legacy" tools for color/tonality and for sound that are still there, but in a way that lets the user know they have a limited life-span.

As with a number of parts of PrPro, the reaction from one computer to another amazes me. I've not had any performance hit from running the EGP, though when I lay on 3-5 Lumetri instances per clip, I sure do. I haven't really poured on the 'coals' within EGP to see what it does with the kitchen sink thrown in, though. But clearly, for some rigs, the EGP can hit performance.

Some of the demos of using the EGP I've seen were rather stunning in how much could be done with very few clicks ... for ​certain​ things, and if you know ​exactly​ what to do and how ​best​ to do it, it's amazingly capable & fast. If not ... um ... you may not even get there from here.

I'm looking forward to having this a couple releases down the line. It needs a wider set of tools, and ... I need to be better at using it. Both are gonna be farther away than tomorrow. Now, patience hath never been a virtue that is native to my cranium ... sigh.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2017 Jul 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to click on the title tab in the main view nothing happens.  Any one else getting this error?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 22, 2017 Jul 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a couple FAQ's on the EGP and workspaces and such available on the FAQ page from the Overview page of this forum. Included is a bit on dealing with this. Yea, that Title menu bar at times isn't working and takes a couple steps to restore it.

For myself, I created a custom workspace with the old "legacy" titler, and another one with the EGP, both laid out like I like to work for titles/graphics. Named, saved, and added to the Workspace bar.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ricky: Please post in this thread about the issue you have rather than this forum thread since it's more specific: Titles Window does nothing.

When you do so, please indicate your version of Premiere Pro and when you last used the Titles workspace successfully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines