• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CC 2017 - Arrow keys have stopped working in timeline panel after update 11.1.2?

New Here ,
Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this is a little odd, but since the most recent update I find the arrow keys no longer step backward or forward in the timeline panel (shift left and right aren't working either).  If I click into the Program monitor, then the the arrow keys move the play head, but not if I click in the timeline.  Holding K and pressing L or J does still move one frame in the timeline though.

I've checked in the shortcuts panel to see if anything has changed, but step back/forward are still listed under left and right arrows, and there isn't anything that should be overriding them. I also tried clearing the shortcuts in a custom shortcut layout, then adding the command again,and the same thing happened.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas about fixing it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

I'm using Windows 10 on a PC

I can use the arrows just fine in the Source monitor

the problem solves temporarily when re-launching the software, but at some point the keys will stop working again

--Edit--

This happens to me while editing multi-camera clips, and when the arrow keys stop working i toggle the multi-cam view (Shift+0) and it resolves.

Haven't reproduced it yet, but it might be the thing

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I just had shortcut issues with 14.6. Now on 14.7 and I was like it's back again but I am working in a multicam projet and the toggling multicam view did work to get the arrow keys back working. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 09, 2021 Aug 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Audio Time Units under the hamburger menu in the sequence tab was checked for me (you coudl see the time code under the picture monitor wasnt in frames but in milliseconds) turn that off it worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2021 Sep 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes this worked for me too.  Even more annoying if you have a Contour Shuttle as that stops working too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using the Alt key with the arrows. I got it to work that way

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This puzzling behavior is still encountered in 2022 versions. If you're like me, you searched for this problem, you read all the solutions in this forum and you're confused as to why none of those solutions worked???

There was something in the UI that I overlooked. Each Audio and Video track has a sort of "selection on/off" thing. When you click an audio or video layer, it will highlight blue to emphasize that layer is active. This will control where you copy and paste different clips in your timeline as well as jumping from clip to clip with the arrow keys! (see in picture where it's labeled, each track V1, V2 / A1, A2, A3 etc. In my case, the layer I was trying to arrow through was turned off and all I had to do was turn it on 🙂

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, track targeting and source patching are two of the more basic things one needs to know in Premiere, as that sets the behavior for where media goes either from the Source monitor to the timeline (Source targeting) or track to track within a sequence (track patching).

So glad you got that figured out. This is a complex and complicated app with a ton of things like this to learn that will stop you cold until you know what's going on.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2023 Apr 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just found your comment when I was having a similar issue where the up arrow wouldn't move the playhead to the previous edit point, but the down arrow would advance the playhead to the next edit point.  I removed the up arrow on my mechanical keyboard and pressed the toggle directly and it worked fine in premiere.  Then I put the key cap back on and it worked fine.  The key was clean, but for whatever reason wasn't moving the up arrow as intended.  Now it seems to work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May 2023 here, I tried everything you guys suggested so I clicked every single button on premiere pro AND!!!!

If none of the other solutions worked for you (like me lol) I suggest un-checking the "enable transmit" in the program screen (click the little spanner and you get the drop-down menu)

Works like a charm for me every time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2023 Aug 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holding down shift made it work for me, happened randomly in premiere pro beta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines