Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CC 2017 - iMac 27" 5K Retina - GPU Problems

Enthusiast ,
Nov 06, 2016 Nov 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I created a new partition on my iMac and installed a clean copy of Sierra 10.12.1 and downloaded PP 2017 to try it out.

1.jpg

I am experiencing a couple of issues, both of which are GPU related...

1) I have a project file with a 1080 Seq that consists entirely of nested sequences. When the GPU is set to either OpenCL or Metal, I get random black screens. If I double click into the nest and scrub the footage in the source sequence everything plays fine. Switching to Software Only mode resolves the issue.

2.jpg

2) If I attempt to export a sequence use AME CC 2017 with either OpenCL or Metal enabled, I will get random whacky results when lower thirds/ watermarks are rendered. If I switch to Software only mode everything exports perfectly albeit 5 times as long.

On my main partition I have Sierra 10.12.1 running with PPCC 2015.2, AME 2015.2 and both work perfectly with OpenCL enabled. This GPU issue started when the 2015.3 of PP was released, same thing on 2015.4 and now with the 2017 versions.

Is there going to be a patch for this? I find it hard to believe that the GPU in Apple's flagship iMac is not able to support the newer versions of Premiere.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you run Adobe's "GPUSniffer.exe" to see what it says about your GPU?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have run GPUSniffer as you suggested and here is the result.

sniffer.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shane, I am not a Mac user so I have never seen a Mac output let alone an AMD/ATI output before.  Let see what I can do about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a R9-280X in my PC with Windows 10 and CC2017

I would say your system is find the GPU fine.  Have you updated your driver recently

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill,

I have not updated the driver lately. Honestly I wouldn't know how to/or think I can. I looked on the AMD website and all I can find is Windows drivers. To my knowledge whenever a driver update is available, Mac users are notified via the app store.

I did look on the apple website and found a table or drivers and for my particular iMac model, the OpenCL driver (1.2) is the most current as of April 2016.

If you notice under the "Metal" report, it says "Driver: 0". Not sure if that is normal or it means there is no driver installed to use Metal.

I did look on my 21" iMac which has an Nvidia Card and it says the same thing for Metal with the driver being "0".

So to my knowledge, this 4GB video card on my iMac should be fine, but CC 2017 is having a lot of issues with it.

Initially that's what I suspected, updating the driver of the card, but I can't find any documentation, let alone an actual river to update it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shane, I'm having a similar issue on my imac retina.  Can't output or render a sequence from cc 2017.  GPU Render Error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

seth,

Which GPU do you have?

This is very frustrating. http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/WhereCanIfindMACOSXdrivers.aspx

This is from the above linked AMD website...

"Where Can I find MAC OS X drivers?

Article Number: GPU-19

AMD Radeonâ„¢ graphics drivers are included as part of the Apple Mac OS X installation. Please update or restore your Mac OS X installation to ensure you have the latest available drivers."

So as a Mac user it looks like our hands are tied unless Apple releases an updated driver or Adobe patches Premiere to work with the current driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems when I removed some effects I had put into a sequence using old Lumetri canned color effects, it fixed things.

Seth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Program and source monitor goes black when adjusting Ultra Key

I have the same issue:

XPS 15, i7, 16 gigs Ram

960M, 2 gigs VRAM

Win10

Driver: 375.70 (10/27/16)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2016 Dec 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had a similar problem with our brand-new iMac Retina (2016). Premiere files created on other machines (a Mac Pro, a Macbook Pro) had black screens instead of previews (in the timeline), but projects started on the "problem" Mac seemed okay. I would get the "unable to process frame" error.

What the problem was that the Lumetri color effect was trying to reference a LUT whose location was unknown. You can't just search for LUTs embedded in the program either, because they're buried in the application package itself. So I opened the Premiere application package and copied the LUTs folder to somewhere I could get to easily. Then I browsed for the referenced LUT, reconnected, and presto, everything worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines