• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CC 2017 not recognizing External Hard Drives

Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2017 Feb 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently updated to Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2017. I went to create a new project and wanted to select a new location for where the project was going to be saved, so I hit "browse" and the finder popped up, but it didn't show my external hard drive as an option of where I could save my project. I have always saved my Adobe Premiere Projects to external hard drives. I gave up trying to fix the problem, so I saved the project to my desktop and then transferred the project to my hard drive. I reopened the project from my hard drive and tried to import the video and audio files via "Cmd+I", the finder folder popped up, but my hard drive again was not displayed. So instead I had to click and drag the files from the finder to Premiere.

Does anyone know how I can fix this so that my external hard drives are recognized by Premiere? I work on too many projects to save them all to my desktop, not to mention it takes an extra few steps to then have to change over the project files and scratch disks to a new location. I like to be as proficient as possible when it comes to editing projects, and this issue is interfering with that.

Please help!

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link, but that didn't seem to work. 😕 I re-synced my settings in creative cloud then restarted the computer, and my hard drive still is not being recognized.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows Instructions

1. In My Computer, open your preferences folder: UserFolder > My Documents > Adobe > Premiere Pro
  2. You should see one or more folders with your current version number
  3. Delete or move this folder.

Mac Instructions

1. In Finder, open your preferences folder: UserFolder > Documents > Adobe > Premiere Pro
  2. You should see one or more folders with your current version number
  3. Delete or move this folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but I tried those instructions again, and it did not resolve the issue. Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You see the drives mounted to the desktop at the finder level?

Have you restarted your computer?

Which Mac OS?

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

doesn't work. Even when support tries it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 24, 2017 Mar 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi cgmkgw,

What's the make and model of the external drives?

Are you able to see them in the Media Browser?

Could you check if other Adobe apps can detect the drives?

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this problem. I have tried trashing the preferences and restarting my computer. I cannot get Premiere to see the directories inside of the external hard drive. It sees the drive itself, but won't open anything in it. The same is true in the Media Browser. I just tried the media browser in AE and same thing. It shows that there's a drive connected, but I can't open it.

The drive mounts without a problem in the OS and I can open and access everything in it. Very frustrating. It was working fine before I did the last Premiere upgrade.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Erin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this problem too (exactly as described by Erin). Started today (15th May). Updated Premiere a couple of days ago. Never been an issue before.

Very frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2017 Sep 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also having this issue exactly described by Erin. Started early September. I have updated Premiere, trashed preference files, restarted, and I still can't get Premiere to recognize this external hard drive to Locate or Link files.

Here's the only thing I can think of:

I ordered this hard drive and had it shipped to an editor so that she could make a copy of the original footage and project. She sent it back to me, and this is the drive I am having trouble with. I noticed that the original OWC Software files are still on the drive, so she likely never formatted it before copying data onto it. Could that be what's causing Premiere to not recognize the drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2017 Sep 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

External Hard Drives not showing up in Premiere Pro Media Browser

Found this in my search. I guess I will attempt to save my data on a different drive, reformat the problematic drive and report back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been dealing with this for years and finally got the answer. It is a one click solution. All you have to do is UNCHECK the "Use media browser to locate files" option on the "Missing media for the clips" window, that pops up when opening a project with missing media.

Now you can locate your harddrive using the finder window not adobes media browser.

I also work with an OWC hard drive and that could be the root of the problem.

Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 6.45.57 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Robijn. Saved me a lot of time.

/Per

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Robijn, I can locate missing files this way.  But I still can't locate any external drive when I want to start a new project.  I'm wanting to work completely off an external as I don't have enough room on my laptop.  Have you figured this out?  I also went through and delete preferences, etc.  There is definitely an issue with Premiere and external drives, as I have tried 3 different ones with 3 different formats: One NTSF, one MAC OS, and one MAC OS Extended.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2021 Oct 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SIMPLE AND BEST SOLUTION!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG thank you so much, robijnf44431371 .  This was a super quick way to get around the issue and I prefer the native MacOSX finder to the media browser anyway.  The media browser was always awkward and I never thought to check that setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto all the thanks!  You definitely helped me save a ton of time with such a simple solution.  I just upgraded to Monterey, and that's when I started having the issue. Appreciate you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue with the latest version (at time of writing) of Premiere 2022. While rob@edidev 's solution does enable me to find and re-link the files, doing them individually isn't an option as there are hundreds of files to re-link. Is Adobe looking into this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2022 May 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Worked perfectly on the previous version of Premiere. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Problem.  If you skip using media browser and just import clips, etc, everything almost works fine.  However when you use AME and queue up for render it will not find clips imported that way.  But if you just export it renders fine.  This is a brand new problem with the lateest Premier Pro release.  Never had this problem before. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem 😞 Any updates on this, anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2023 Aug 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this helps anyone but, for me, I had somehow changed the file type display filter and not realized it. Changing back to file directory populated all folders on the drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2023 Sep 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This problem still occurs in the Premiere Pro Beta 24.1 Adobe is more concerned about new functions then to fix problems properly. It's 5 years later 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines