Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Premiere Pro CC 2019-2021 Freezing

New Here ,
Oct 15, 2021 Oct 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly the most irritated I've ever been with a computer program, after updating my Premiere Pro from 14.6 to 15.4.1, I can't edit a single video. The program freezes after playback and after uninstalling and reinstalling version 15.4.1 and even downgrading all the way to 14.0, premiere pro does not work at all on my computer. I'm using an HP Omen 15 with Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz and 16GB of RAM. Maybe upgrade my RAM? I've updated the graphics card driver, which is a GeForce GTX 1660 Ti but to no avail.

TOPICS
Crash, Error or problem, Freeze or hang, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 15, 2021 Oct 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Teauxb,

Sorry. System sounds OK. Not sure how you are aware of this but Premiere Pro is not one of those "set it and forget it" applications. You do need to perform periodic maintenance between each major version, such as, deleting all media cache, trashing preferences, repairing disk permissions, updating GPU drivers, etc. to keep things running smoothly. Workspaces can trip up some, especially those that have custom workspaces and have not reset them. A "factory" workspace can often help playback problems.

Have you tried any of these things?

The other main blocker for smooth playback is the media you are using. If it is not from a pro camcorder in a pro format, and is Long GOP based (like H.264), you often need to create proxies or transcode the footage via Media Encoder. If the footage is from a screen capture or OBS or something that generates VFR files, these must be transcoded before you can use them. I use an FFMPEG based encoder like Shutter Encoder.

Please come back after trying these things, then let us know what's going on.

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines