• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CC 2019 and Media Encoder crashing when selecting H.264 encoding format

Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2019 Jan 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am trying to export a project with H.264 export format but as soon as I select this format in the export settings window, I get the spinning wheel for a few seconds, and then Premiere Pro is crashing completely. It does not even say that the application is not responding or proposing to submit a bug report, the application window is just disappearing. If I try to export to a different format, the export can be done without any error (I successfully exported my project with "H.264 Blu-Ray" format).

I get exactly the same problem when I send the projet to Adobe Media Encoder and try to change the export settings to H.264 in Media Encoder (AME is crashing as soon as I select H.264 export format).

I am using the latest versions of each software (Premiere Pro CC 2019 v13.0, Media Encoder CC 2019 v13.0.2 Build39).

The project I am trying to export is a sequence 2704x1520 pixels 29,97fps based on GoPro Hero 5 Black footage 2704x1520 pixels 59,94fps.

My PC :

Windows 10 Pro v1809 FR

Intel i7-3770K

RAM : 32 GB

EVGA GeForce GTX 670 (driver v417,35)

All my drivers are up to date.

I tried to delete all cache files, uninstall all adobe applications (deleting all preferences), then ran the AdobeCreativeCloudCleanerTool.exe, then reinstalled everything (restarting the computer between each step of this process) : same result...

I tried to create a new project and import my project in the new one, but I get the same problem when I try to export.

In the project settings, I tried to switch the rendering system to "Mercury software playback engine only" : still the same problem.

Any help would be more than welcome !

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 20, 2019 Jan 20, 2019

It is not clear that "Adobe" has a severe Me issue on H.264. Most users are not having any issues and I've tried to but cannot replicate your situation.

So ... something in your setup or media lead to this problem and we do need to get that sorted. This is a royal pain for you and anyone else with it.

What is not clear are the specific details of your situation. What media do you have on what sequence settings? Is this only with H.264 then selecting a Vimeo or YouTube preset, or with others also?

I

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi PatBig,

Sorry for the export issue. Is this happening with all projects or just with this project? 

Just for a test, create a new project, import one small video file and check if the export crashes.

Let us know the status.

Thanks,

Vidya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I made 2 tests as you suggested : creating a new project with the exact same project settings than my current project (sequence 2704x1520 pixels 29,97fps based on GoPro Hero 5 Black footage 2704x1520 pixels 59,94fps) :

• 1 project using only 1 file from the current project I am working on
  • 1 Project using only 1 file from the previous project I worked on (encoded with H.264 1080p @29,97fps format without any issues)

For both projects I have the same issue : Premiere Pro CC2019 is crashing as soon as I select H.264 encoding format in export settings window.

I openned my previous project (sequence 1920x1080 29,97fps based on clips of various resolutions and fps, including some 2704x1520 pixels 59,94fps) : no problem to change the export settings and select H.264 encoding format. I could launch the export and it started encoding correctly.

But if for that previous project I select export format H.264 (no crash until that point), and then I change the preconfiguration in the export settings to select "Vimeo 2160p 4K Ultra HD", Premiere Pro is crashing.

I also created another project based on GoPro footage 1920x1080 @59,94fps, with project settings 1920x1080 @59,94fps. If I select export in H.264 format with default preconfiguration (matching the source), no issues, but if I try to select another preconfiguration like "Vimeo 2160p 4K Ultra HD" or "Youtube 2160p 4K Ultra HD", then Premiere Pro is crashing as soon as the preconfiguration is selected (spinning wheel for a few seconds with window title saying "Premiere Pro (not responding)", and then Premiere Pro window is disappearing).

After restarting Premiere Pro after this type of crash (without rebooting PC), I sometimes also get problems when trying to export via the keybord shortcut or the Menu File>Export>Media : Premiere Pro won't even open the export settings window, nothing happens, although Premiere is not crashing nor freezing nor "not responding", but other selection in the menus works just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get same issue. H.264 and then I put Youtube 4k preset but I only checkmark "Use maximum render quality" and as soon as I hit export it starts to crash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recommend not selecting Maximum Render Quality.  It doesn't do what you think it does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2019 Jan 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a very similar problem with a very similar setup.

CC 2018 and ME 2018 on Windows7 Pro was more or less bullet proof. SAME hardware, but Windows 10, CC19/ME19 and rarely do I get even more than one segment of  a Sequence to render out of Premiere.  I do manage to get to the crash report screen, which I've sent  . . a lot.

I was going to try CC18 on Windows 10, but it runs so badly it beggars belief.

Presently the situation is SOOO bad, I'm considering rebuilding a Windows 7 machine and going back to CC18/ME18.  I'm just not getting any work done.

I think it's pretty clear Adobe have a severe Media Encoder issue on this very common environment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 20, 2019 Jan 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not clear that "Adobe" has a severe Me issue on H.264. Most users are not having any issues and I've tried to but cannot replicate your situation.

So ... something in your setup or media lead to this problem and we do need to get that sorted. This is a royal pain for you and anyone else with it.

What is not clear are the specific details of your situation. What media do you have on what sequence settings? Is this only with H.264 then selecting a Vimeo or YouTube preset, or with others also?

In Preferences, do you have hardware encoding for H.264 enabled or not? Do you set either Max Render Q or Max depth to on?

If any of those last three are on, turn them off and test.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<< What media do you have on what sequence settings?

CanonXF 1080P data and matching Sequence settings.  I even tried rebuilding just minimal parts of the Sequence in a fresh Project.  No difference.

<< Is this only with H.264 then selecting a Vimeo or YouTube preset, or with others also?

Any configuration of the H.264 encoder.  Or at least any I've tried.

NOTE: H.265 works 100% fine. Which I didn't think to try until after this post.  So 264 is crashtastic, 265 is no problem.  The only downside is that the "Good" setting for 265 is not quite as nice as the custom settings for 264 I liked to use, but higher settings for 265 are very CPU expensive.  This will probably just require more experimenting.

<< In Preferences, do you have hardware encoding for H.264 enabled or not? Do you set either Max Render Q or Max depth to on?

I've tried all relevant variations using Design of Experiment Methodology to isolate potential offenders.  I even disabled the Nvidia driver entirely and used software only rendering.  Still crashed.

So good news is that I was able to go back to work. But all current indications are that on my system at least, use of the H.264 encoder will crash the software.  I uninstalled and reinstalled,  etc. None if it mattered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great reply, incredibly complete and broad-based in troubleshooting steps. Unusually so.

And sadly your conclusion re: H.264 in Pr on your machine seems well supported. Which is a royal ... pain.

Please post this over on the bug & feature request UserVoice system so it gets to the engineers. Seriously.

And ... have you considered looking through posts occasionally for helping others?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the kind words and guidance where I can post this for the engineers to see.  I sent  . .. a lot of crash reports.  While I couldn't see the contents I *assume* they contained system and settings configurations and whatever exceptions the software was probably throwing. All I added were some creative strings of expletives and an invitation to call me.  Which was probably an odd combination.

I never thought I had much to offer to the Adobe community.  My use of the tools are intermediate at best. Then again there have been plenty of times in the learning curve when I said, a ha! That's how you do that and realized it was much easier than I feared. So I'll take a look from time to time to see if any fellow traveler is bashing their head against a familiar wall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trouble-shooting is something that is a bit rarer than one would think. And a most useful ability to help others on this forum.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2019 Feb 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could temporarly avoid the crash I had when trying to change the export settings to H264 of my sequence 2704x1520 pixels 29,97fps based on GoPro Hero 5 Black footage 2704x1520 pixels 59,94fps, thanks to this :

https://forums.adobe.com/people/R+Neil+Haugen  wrote

(...)

In Preferences, do you have hardware encoding for H.264 enabled or not? Do you set either Max Render Q or Max depth to on?

If any of those last three are on, turn them off and test.

Neil

I actually only turned OFF those options in the export window:

• Max Render Q ("Utiliser la qualité de rendu maximale" in my french version of Premiere)
  • Max depth ("Rendu à la résolution maximale" in my french version of Premiere)

After that, I could change the export settings  (resolution, etc.) and select H264 encoding format (or any other format) without any problem and make several exports of my project as I was working on it. I could even turn back ON those 2 options after having selected the desired H264 format, and export successfully my video without having any crash.

A few days later, my Premiere Pro was updated to the latest version 13.0.2 (Build 38)

Today I finished my project and tried to export the final version.... and the crash came back again, but this time it was crashing as soon as selecting "File > export" (after a few seconds of spining wheel). Premiere was crashing even before openning the export settings window!  When Adobe Media Encoder is already openned before trying to export, it is also crashing as soon as Premiere is crashing. The program windows are just disapearing suddenly, no crash report or anything.

• I rebooted my PC several times: no improvement
  • I tried to make a copy of my project and export it: same problem
  • I tried to export very simple project with the exact same settings but just 1 media from my source files: no crash when openning the export window, and export was successful !
  • I tried to export my project by openning the project file directly from Adobe Media Encoder : AME is crashing as well when trying to open the export settings window of the project in AME.

I finally managed to avoid the crash by selecting in "File > Project settings > General > Rendering system" this setting : "Software Mercury playback engine only" instead of "GPU Mercury Playback engine (CUDA)", which I used for all my projects until now without any issue!

All these are just work-arounds, rather than solutions, but at least it may help those who face the same issue until Adobe solves the bug(s).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 03, 2019 Feb 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's still wanting to choke on your GPU. You could check for a new driver or roll back one.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m also having the same issue using Mac. media encoder begins then just crashes after a minute or so. Multiple attempts tried to no avail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Listing media in your sequence, where it's stored on your rig, any effects used, any settings for say H.264 hardware encoding checked or not-checked in Edit/Preferences ... using either Max Render Q or Max Bit Depth ... and, in Me, have you un-checked "Import sequences natively"?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2019 May 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have same problem.
1. I have tried selecting in "File > Project settings > General > Rendering system" this setting : "Software Mercury playback engine only" instead of "GPU Mercury Playback engine (CUDA)", but it still crash as soon as i select h.264. (FAILED)

2. I have tried to export it into encoder first, but it still crash as soon as i select h.264. This time error window appear with code R6025

Please help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2019 Oct 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What worked for me was this

Try selecting H265 first, and then H.264

Strange, but this worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG. Selecting H265 first, and then H.264 actually worked for me too! Thank you! (I work on Mac. I also removed any unnecessary files from the project before rendering).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2022 Jun 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked 😮 I can't believe this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 31, 2019 May 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are still having issues, I'm sorry.  Maybe I can shed some light on some things you may be overlooking, and so far, adobe have been a bit tight lipped about it.  Maybe this will help, maybe not, no promises, but please try it.

Since the 2018 release, I noticed that the apps are now heavily modular.  That means there's many smaller processes running, but their graphics are inside a window from a master process.  Many of them were "Suspended" when I first opened any 2018 apps, and many more were not responding.  I monitor my system closely, and I have Kasperky total protection on it, which flags anything new immediately, and waits for me to tell it what to do, unless that particular process is on a whitelist.  Is this starting to clear?  In order to get many things to run, I had to go into my AV and tell it to TRUST all the apps from adobe, then set all of them to run as admin (even the tiny ones).  This allows them to communicate in common context of security, and lets them access the same memory locations, so even if they do share data natively, they don't have to copy it to a new location back and forth to share it, which would happen automatically when running under the context of an external window process, would slow things down, and would make the memory requirements higher.  Also I noticed that essential graphics and other Creative cloud stock connections were greyed and found their process suspended, waiting for me to trust in kaspersky so that was a big one.  So...  This is what I did with 2019, and still got crashes.

What was the remaining problem?  Twofold. 

First, I noticed, after suspecting it, that some files were not updated properly when you update by skipping versions or releases.  The CCAPP assumes you have all the releases installed up to current, and runs the updater app, only updating files from newest-1-version to newest version.  In other words, update straight through one version at a time, don't skip any.  I had to do this with every app.  Then I had to check my AV again and make a few more changes.  I had to start from 2016 and work my way forward in the updates.  They are no longer holding a complete installer package accept if you do not have the programs installed at all.  You could, in theory, install a base level, then upgrade.  But I keep CS6 Premiere and Encore for dvd outputs, and it balks when I try to put in 2017 earliest, so 2016 baseline, then all updates is pretty much the going rate or uninstall all of them and reinstall from 2018 up, then reinstall CS6 apps.

The second problem, it has been happening off and on, but it's simple enough to deal with, just tedious and annoying.  The CCAPP updates itself constantly, and has a cache of info about each app that it gleans from your system and registry.  That cache can get corrupted on update for one or all the apps.  It could also not match up with the new databindings for placement of the information, which can cause it to corrupt the file on its own.  The fix?  First, log out in the CCAPP and close all the apps.  Now open your process or activity monitor and kill every adobe process.  Trust me, this is highly necessary.  I cannot tell you which one causes the problem because there are far too many and it may be more than one.  Stop them all, stop the problem.  If you restart your system, they all write data out to cache files and close them, making them appear ok.  Don't let them.  Kill them in the process monitor.  The files are locked open and unusable by the process, then orphaned and when you do restart later, they will be deleted (usually).  Now once you've killed every adobe process, you can open the CCAPP.  Log back in to Creative Cloud.  Your settings will be updated and you should be able to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2019 Jul 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having this issue. Any news on a fix? 16gb RAM, Nvidia 1060. This is not a good look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 16, 2019 Jul 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You select the H.264 option in the Export dialog, and it crashes, right? As in the original post?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2020 May 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am Having the same problem 
when i select the H.264 option in the Export dialog, and it freeze

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are MANY threads where this is already answered. With the changes in H.264/265 "HEVC" coding in 14.2 Premiere, where the GPU can be used when it is up to the task, this issue happens on systems where the system can't handle that change.

So go to the Preferences/Media tab, and un-check the "Enable hardware accelerated encoding and ... ".

Close Premiere, relaunch.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved!

You the man!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines