• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CC 2022 crashes on Fast Forward

Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I hit the "L" key to fast-forward while playing on the timeline, and hit about 4x speed, the audio stops scrubbing (I think this is normal), followed by Premiere Pro locking up. There's no way to halt the playback at this point, and eventually Premiere Pro locks the entire system - even the mouse cursor won't move. If I shutdown/restart fast enough (after Premiere locks, but before the entire system locks), I can get a reboot to happen. Otherwise it's the reset switch.

It is very similar to the problem described here, except I'm running Premiere Pro 2022 on Windows 10, and the video format is XAVC S HD:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/premiere-pro-cc-2020-crashes-on-fast-forward...

If I edit AVCHD footage, the problem doesn't seem to occur. I've tried turning off hardware accelerated encoding/decoding in the Media preferences, with no effect on this. I'm guessing it's a Premiere bug - suggestions?

TOPICS
Crash , Editing , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sound like a bug to me. This is user to user forum where we users help each other. The Adobe engeneers do not always read everything here. If you feel strongly about a (new)feature or (bug) fix please post it on uservoice, as it will be read by the engeneers.
https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - I've posted (verbatim) my post here across to that forum. If what I've done is not correct, please just let me know.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to post a link here so people can check out your post and upvote it. The more votes the more Adobe is likely to look into it. However, if very few are experiencing this, then I wouldn't agree with Joost's post - and that could get you to stop looking for problems perhaps on your end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, the post is here:

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/44458710-premiere-pro-cc-20...

If there's any suggestions on where to look my end, I'm happy to try further things. I might re-install the previous CC version. I've edited XAVC S HD before, and not had this issue, but not for a long time. Possibly not even on this desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a file I just downloaded in mxf. And I have a bunch of footage from my AX-53, avc UHD, they both play well and have no problem scanning (with multiple "L" or "J"s). Here's the media info on the mxf.

You can use the free MediaInfo program to get info on your clips. Get the program from the link below and using the 'Tree' view post a screenshot of your clip info: https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

MyerPj_0-1637210289951.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'm pasting the mediainfo below. Footage was shot on a Sony HXR-NX5R.

General
Complete name : E:\Dancing\2021_11_16_DollysTest\CLIP\C0013.MP4
Format : XAVC
Codec ID : XAVC (XAVC/mp42/iso2)
File size : 33.5 GiB
Duration : 1 h 32 min
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 51.9 Mb/s
Encoded date : UTC 2021-11-16 08:08:32
Tagged date : UTC 2021-11-16 08:08:32

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.2
Format settings : CABAC / 2 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, Reference frames : 2 frames
Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=12
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 50.0 Mb/s
Maximum bit rate : 60.0 Mb/s
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 50.000 FPS
Standard : PAL
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.482
Stream size : 32.3 GiB (96%)
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709
Metas : 4
Codec configuration box : avcC

Audio
ID : 2
Format : PCM
Format settings : Big / Signed
Codec ID : twos
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 1 536 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Stream size : 1 015 MiB (3%)

Other
ID : 3
Type : Time code
Format : QuickTime TC
Frame rate : 50.000 FPS
Time code of first frame : 03:25:38:20
Time code, striped : Yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks pretty basic. That's similar to the files I edit most of the time. What have you tried to fix it?

Win or Mac? Hardware, etc.

Did you try deleting the cache?

• Start PP from it's normal desktop icon (IE: don't open from a project file link).
Close the Open/Home screen (and you will be in PP without a project open).
• Go into Edit/Preferences/Media Cache (Mac users adjust menu name)
• Then Press: Remove Media Cache Files: and Delete...
• Select: Delete all media cache files from the system and OK
Close PP - It will create any needed cache files on the fly as you edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then try it with a new project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - I've cleared the cache as instructed, rebooted, created a new project, imported one clip only, dragged it to a timeline, fast forward - crash.

I've installed Premiere Pro 2021 using the Creative Cloud installer, followed the exact same process to create a new project, imported the identical clip, fast forward - runs fine.

System specs are:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz 3.70 GHz (Quicksync enabled)

32.0 GB RAM

Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, OS Build 19043.1348

GeForce RTX 2070, Game Ready Driver Version 457.51

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running NVidia 472.47. You might try updating that and always only us the Studio drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've updated to 472.47, studio drivers (thanks for that, I was oblivious to there being two versions).

Exact same behaviour as previously, PP2021 still working, PP2022 still locking up / crashing.

Both versions took a little longer to initialise after the driver update (and PP2022 took much longer than PP2021), I'm assuming they detected the driver change, and had to check a few things themselves internally. PP2022 seemed like almost a minute until it would play footage. I subsequently rebooted and tried again to be sure, it fired up more normally on the subsequent attempt, still crashed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what else to check. If you want to upload a problem clip, I can download and give it a try. Put it on Dropbox or GoogleDrive, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I've had a read through that thread, it does appear to be very similar / the same issue.

I've run some tests this morning, I was looking at uploading a clip to be looked at. I didn't want to upload anything too short, which would scrub through to the end, before locking up.

I tested clips up to 12GB, none of them locked up. When you start scrubbing the 12GB clip, the video is paused for 5 to 10 secs before it actually starts scrubbing, but it doesn't lock.

The next clip I have is 35GB. This clip locks reliably every time. So the issue now also appears to be related to file size. The 12GB clip is 32 minutes, the 35GB clip is 92 minutes. I can upload the 35GB clip if it assists to be looked at, but it will take some time, and I didn't want to just inflict a file of that size on anyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try Shutter Encoder, free and real easy to use and you can 'cut' the files down to size without re-encoding. So, no loss of quality. It might be the way to go: https://www.shutterencoder.com/en/

You can make a donation to the developer if it works real well. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm assuming the suggestion is to split the source files up - PP2022 is still a little sluggish even when not crashing, and this would add a lot of overhead to the editing process. I shoot mainly live events, some go for many hours, with no logical cut points. An event we're shooting in about 4 weeks had almost 2TB of raw footage last year, and that was AVCHD - XAVC S would double that.

Easier is likely going to be sticking with PP2021 until PP2022 is fixed, or just not shooting XAVC S. This project was a bit of an experiment, as they're playing it on a cinema screen, in case there was a difference.

Thanks for the pointer to the tool though, I'd not been aware of it, and it may still prove useful elsewhere. I own a bunch of the TMPGEnc tools, which I use for similar tasks, I hadn't been aware of this one at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2022 Jan 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same bug on a Macbook Pro 14 M1 Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Raising the I/O buffer size in Audio Hardware seems to have provided the fix for me. 

MacOS 12.1

Premiere Pro 22.1.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spoke too soon. Premiere Pro 2022 crashes on both my MacBook Pro 14 and my Windows PC as well. Must be a bug this did not happen on Premiere Pro 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 15, 2022 May 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

Sorry for this problem again. We have improved this workflow in the latest beta build.

Please check out the latest beta build version 22.5.0.29(or higher) from the creative cloud and let us know how it goes there.

You can download the latest Premiere Pro Beta build from Creative Cloud --> Beta apps --> Premiere Pro (Beta)

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/creative-cloud-public-beta.html

If you still face this issue, please share your media files(& project) here and we will check at our end https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/share.html

I hope it will help.
Thanks,
Mayjain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2023 Mar 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am having this same issue on the latest Premiere version. I saw this reply is from almost a year ago.

What is the reasoning for this happening now? 

I use the 2022 MacStudio, have cleared my cache, made sure I had ample memory and storage space, plenty of allocated Ram, using ProRes MOV files, and still whenever I try to fast forward it lags to the point of crashing. Please help! I have deadlines that I have not been able to meet because of this issue. 

- A soon to be unemployed editor. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When this happened in late 2021, it was 100% a Premiere bug, from their major update at that time. Eventually they fixed that. The bug isn't there on the current Windows version, I haven't seen it on Mac, but don't use it frequently.

My only suggestion would be to set up proxies for your footage, and see if it still happens. That was a temporary work around on Windows last time. Hopefully someone else on Mac can confirm if this is a Premiere bug, or an issue with your setup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines