• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CC: can blue text interface be changed back to yellow?

Enthusiast ,
Oct 06, 2014 Oct 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wondering if there's an option in preferences to change the color of the interface text. It used to be yellow and now it's more difficult to see.

I notice the blue text across the entire range of updated programs: AE, PP, Photoshop, etc.

So is it a setting in the cloud itself that would allow me to change the color back to yellow?

If not, not big issue, I'll just have to get used to it. Love the new interface in any case. Much more responsive with no issues.

Thank you, Adobe!

Idea No status Locked

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 337 Replies 337
337 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, there's no way to control color of the focus highlighting and the text for certain controls. As you note, this is part of major changes to the user interface across many programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK then, but it would be great to have the option to select your own color. I noticed that a number of other people had problems with the blue color interface as well.

I find it harder to see text and digits with the blue. The yellow stood out more and was easier to read.

Where on Adobe's web site should I go to recommend this as a feature request?

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To propose a bug fix or feature request:

Submit a feature request or bug report

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like you..I will get used to it.

Sticking with that cool Yellow would have been my preference too.

Wonder how many feature requests they got for a change on that.

Must say though ...someone at Adobe has an "interesting color palette" when it comes to choosing these things.

Wonder if it was the same dude that chose the purple for EOF indicator?

Thanx to those that gave us a choice to turn that one on / off BTW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

shooternz wrote:

Wonder if it was the same dude that chose the purple for EOF indicator?

Nope. The end of sequence indicator was entirely the work of the PPro team, whereas the overhaul of the whole was a collaborative effort of the Experience Design crew across multiple programs. For what it's worth, several beta testers reported that they started off not so keen on the new look, but within a short time they came to like it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I rather like it. It is a nice color blue, and I don't think the yellow had any particular advantage to it. Not that it really matters to be. Blue, green, yellow. As long as I can see it.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blue is great! I like it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My point is not about aesthetics - whether I like or dislike it, will or will not get used to it.

I simply have extreme difficulty reading it. - across the whole CC 2014 refresh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 07, 2014 Oct 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure about it yet, just makes me feel am in another program. Hope this is not an attempt to look like iMovie, sorry meant FCP X.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My concern is the same as Jon's. It's not so much the aesthetics, but I do find it more difficult to see. I just think yellow was easier to see on a dark interface than dark blue.

For example in After Effects, when you select the tiny keyframes in the timeline, they're dark blue now. When they were yellow, they were easier to see.

But I find that only to be the case on my iMac i7. Whereas on my Macbook Pro Retina, the blue font is actually quite easy and pleasing. So perhaps switching to the blue interface had something to do with the fact that the 2014.1 update trumpeted a higher-res (Retina) interface. Aesthetically, perhaps Adobe's update was also geared towards the upcoming new iMac Retina line?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's sure as hell illegible on a Windows system running an nVidia GTX680 and Dell Ultrasharp U2410 monitors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jon,

I in no way want to be argumentative. So please do not take it that way. I am just curious.

I have a GTX670 and I am running Windows 7. I use a pair of Dell U2412M monitors.

You see what I see and find it hard to read, or you are seeing something else? Keep in mind that I calibrate my monitors for photography, not video. I only adjust for video when I am in SpeedGrade. It is a bit of a hassle to switch back and forth. So that might make a difference.

Capture.PNG

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't for one moment think you're being argumentative.  You're fortunate that you're not experiencing legibility problems.

My monitors are calibrated for Stills also.

As I said earlier, I have difficulty across the whole October refresh - especially AE:  a layer with multi-parameters and properties is an absolute nightmare for me.  This is a relatively simple example...

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jon, I put your image side by side with my Ae screen and I can see mine a lot better than I can see yours. So there is a problem somewhere, but I don't have the skill set required to find it easily. Perhaps someone else can chime in?

Capture.PNG

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the readability is an issue because of the white attribute text, then looking over to the blue that fades into the dark gray.  Yellow stood out just as much as white and worked on a gray background, was just easier to focus on.  Just pan your eyes back and forth between "Position" and "960.0" attribute,  you'll see folks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. The end of sequence indicator was entirely the work of the PPro team, whereas the overhaul of the whole was a collaborative effort of the Experience Design crew across multiple programs. For what it's worth, several beta testers reported that they started off not so keen on the new look, but within a short time they came to like it.

I might come to like it as well...but will probably just accept it as what it is.  Weird fluoro blue text and lines that kind of destroys the clean sharp  "professional software look" that one sees in Smoke and Resolve

I do  feel sorry for those that have a legibilty issue though.  It is readable on my system but it certainly does not jump out clearly or cleanly. Its kind of an amateur art direction color IMHO.

Still...I will remain curious what rationale there was to change it and what the beta testers came to like about something that was not ever a reported  issue!

I have not checked yet but I wonder if while they were tweaking colors for the numerical parameters..they  gave a thought  to making them easier to "grab" and adjust.   ( That has been an issue posted on occasion and maybe a subject for FRs)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey John and Steven

What are the Gamma settings for your screens that you say are set up for stills?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must say that looking at those tiny darkish blue numbers against a dark background is quite taxing on the eyes, mine at least. I spend more time looking for those parameters since the color change.

I think this entire issue could best be resolved if Adobe added just one more customization option: the ability to customize the overall font color to any the user is comfortable with. For example in Adobe Audition, we can decide whatever color we want for the waveform (not just the background), yellow, green, white, blue, whatever. Why can't this be done when it comes to the overall interface theme??? Or how about just two choices: the former yellow or the current blue.  Failing all else, I'll just have to get used to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or since the overall interface is now dark, if the theme font has to be blue why not a brighter blue as in cyan? Or an option to increase the theme font brightness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to agree its more taxing on the eyes. I can read it but I find it is headache inducing after a while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If i compare it to the very well balanced color scheme of my cinema 4d R16 Interface a few things come in mind.

1. The Contrast of the white typo is to harsh. Make it a touch of grey and it is ok.

2. Because of the complete lost of the tiny bevels (buttons/Menues) the only chance for the ux-designer is to raise contrast. It´s not well done. Way to high. For me flatdesign is not working with greyshades

3. The Flyoutmenues (Mainmenues, but even the Menues in the effects) pop up with a very bright grey (Windows standard). At c4d it is integrated in the color scheme. Looks sweet

4. Give us controll over the different elements of the interface. Some presets and custom controll.

For me the blue labels look fresh (maybe a litle brighter because of the greyshade contrast) but i canot enyoy the color because of the other interface mistakes.

For me it is a bit straining to work with ae these days 🙂

PS: Dont like the arrows in the effects menues (2 different, too big)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,
Oct 08, 2014 Oct 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gamma is 2.2.

Although my monitors are calibrated with a Spyder 3, I have tweaked so that my Photoshop work closely matches output to an Epson R3000.

Even experimenting with the Ultrasharp presets doesn't improve legibility.

Someone made a good point that it's the harsh contrast between the light grey text of the properties and the blue of their attribute parameters that makes it very hard to read.

Capture.JPG

I also agree that the flat design UI is harder to navigate.  I'm forever searching for sliders and grab bars.

I read somewhere that the Adobe designers want to give the user a clutter-free experience.  Unfortunately they forgot the golden rule - usability MUST come first.  This minimalist look doesn't achieve that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad I read this before hitting the update button. The blue is really hard for my eyes to distinguish from the grey background. It wasn't broken why mess with it. Is someone from Apple now working at Adobe?  🙂

At least give people a choice, please.

CHEERS.

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gamma? Hmmm. Not sure where to look without running the calibration. No time today - very busy. Maybe Jon can tell me. I use a Spyder as well.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to agree that the new color scheme is pretty much terrible for readability. I've been running it for 2 days, and my eyes just get blurred over trying to focus on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate