• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CC taking FOREVER to export

Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2014 Mar 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a mac (2013 imac and macbook pro, 24GB/16GB ram, etc) and Premiere Pro used to export just fine (~10 minutes for 3 minute 1080p video to h.264, everything pre-rendered) and now on both of my machines it seems like PP isn't able to use the rendered files EVEN when I select "use previews" because it takes 30-40 minutes to export now. As an aside, I have to render essentially every second of my timeline due to the nature of the footage & effects I'm using - my footage is image sequences of jpgs that are a weird size, the timeline is 1920x1080 though. Media Encoder isn't any faster, either. It doesn't matter whether I use software or CUDA accelerated export, either. They are all slow.

I'm getting no direct indication that there's an error - just that PP takes far too long to export. Unacceptably long. Rendering times are fine, so there's not a problem with my system there.

Thanks,

Henry

TOPICS
Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 06, 2016 May 06, 2016

Hi,

This FAQ may assist those that need help exporting faster: FAQ: How do I speed up rendering, exporting, or encoding?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

minutephysics wrote:

I'm on a mac (2013 imac and macbook pro, 24GB/16GB ram, etc) and Premiere Pro used to export just fine (~10 minutes for 3 minute 1080p video to h.264, everything pre-rendered) and now on both of my machines it seems like PP isn't able to use the rendered files EVEN when I select "use previews" because it takes 30-40 minutes to export now.

Hi minutephysics,

What is the codec for your rendered previews? What is your output codec? Are they the same?

minutephysics wrote:

As an aside, I have to render essentially every second of my timeline due to the nature of the footage & effects I'm using - my footage is image sequences of jpgs that are a weird size, the timeline is 1920x1080 though. Media Encoder isn't any faster, either. It doesn't matter whether I use software or CUDA accelerated export, either. They are all slow.

I'm getting no direct indication that there's an error - just that PP takes far too long to export. Unacceptably long. Rendering times are fine, so there's not a problem with my system there.

Which effects are you using? Any effects with a lot of overhead like Neat? Can you post a screenshot of your export settings dialog box?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are screenshots of my sequence settings and export settings

https://photos-3.dropbox.com/t/0/AACTvIRJGvDHfM_Wei2YJEvdUiR0-kL9b2D-gosR7m-NBw/12/8673361/png/1024x768/3/1395194400/0/2/Screenshot%202014-03-18%2019.04.20.png/W5OgYQjJ9d33Sinp7_NNatCrof-ulNgS3J4YQ8HpLLIhttps://photos-1.dropbox.com/t/0/AAB0c59WlABSKtSJWCKGW85ggR5Bm01cIX_aLayn90Qiyg/12/8673361/png/1024x768/3/1395194400/0/2/Screenshot%202014-03-18%2019.07.49.png/Vtye2EDUZbJJ9dEzPpIw0BxDd83CVzPpoqERqMHKjRE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And for what it's worth, on those settings it took 25 minutes to export that exact 2 and a half minute video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 19, 2014 Mar 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry MP, I'm not seeing those screenshots.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry 😕 I definitely checked to make sure the images were there before logging off. Second try?

Screenshot 2014-03-18 19.04.20.png

Screenshot 2014-03-18 19.07.49.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ps I have taken a screenshot of the uploaded screenshots to prove they were uploaded but I don't know how to make sure you'll see it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you uncheck "Use Previews?"

How big are these JPEGS in terms of frame size?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unchecking "use previews" is also very slow, which is what I'd expect based on the amount of rendering required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 20, 2014 Mar 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. Can you get me the frame size of those JPEGs?

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

I'm not sure exactly what you mean - if you're talking about the screenshots (though I have no idea how that could be relevant), you should just be able to look at their dimensions. The first one is 610x745, the second is 1642x1286. That's the image size - the windows inside the images are slightly smaller, given that there are drop shadows.

If you're asking about the frame size of the jpgs I'm using in my videos, they are 2592x1728 - they're from a Canon T3i, small size, basic/low quality jpg compression.

But I've never had this problem until quite recently, and I've been making videos using this method for over two years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

minutephysics wrote:

If you're asking about the frame size of the jpgs I'm using in my videos, they are 2592x1728 - they're from a Canon T3i, small size, basic/low quality jpg compression.

But I've never had this problem until quite recently, and I've been making videos using this method for over two years.

Hi Henry,

Yes, this is what I was asking about. I see your screenshots now and nothing seems amiss. Your JPEGs also seem OK. Have you done anything to your computer lately, such as, updating your OS, Premiere Pro, or the Creative Cloud application?

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2016 Mar 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really, Adobe?

It's been a while that we noticed the problem was on the software side and not on the specificity of the project or the hardware since previous versions of PP were working fine with the same projects/hardware set up.

Don't you guys have test projects where you can see by yourself that there's a major issue in PP CC 2015 with loading, saving, rendering and exporting projects -at least? Or it actually works fine with you and the problem just happens outside of Adobe offices? ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep getting these messages.  I'd be willing to be $100 that your problem is a driver conflict, or you upgraded your OS too soon.  Pr CC 2015 is working great for many of us. 

I suspect many of these "I tried everything" claims are not factual.  You haven't tried everything if you haven't reinstalled your OS, the CC suite, and your third-party drivers from the ground up.  Those are drastic measures indeed, but some times, that's the solution to get you back in business.

If Pr works fine on some projects, but not on others, that casts suspicion on the media in your problem projects.  Transcoding the media in those can be a workaround.  It's not ideal in an NLE touted to work natively, but at least you'll get projects done.  I depend on Pr to make my living.  I wouldn't work with it if it was as broken as some of you describe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi vladnemec,

Really, Adobe?

You can call me Kevin. I'm the support product manager for digital video and audio applications. I can try to help you, but if you need individual assistance for support from "Adobe," contact our agents via chat or phone.

It's been a while that we noticed the problem was on the software side and not on the specificity of the project or the hardware since previous versions of PP were working fine with the same projects/hardware set up.

Sorry for your issues. Is it taking too long to export with a brand new project, or are you speaking of an updated project? There may be some issues, but you'd have to be more specific about your particular situation in order to troubleshoot or for me to check on any existing issues. Keep in mind the OP's post was around 2 years ago, was on a Mac, and had specific issues. If you are not facing those specific issues, you can always create a new post with your specifics included.

Don't you guys have test projects where you can see by yourself that there's a major issue in PP CC 2015 with loading, saving, rendering and exporting projects -at least? Or it actually works fine with you and the problem just happens outside of Adobe offices? ....

Yes, we have an engineering department with QE engineers. We have internal projects, personal projects, and projects from customers. We also have projects for engineering purposes, testing reliability, speed, stability, etc.

You can take my word for it. We have test projects...

Are there editors on staff testing the "real world" stuff? Sure. In fact, I did some exporting for personal projects over the weekend and had no issues on my Mac Book Pro. I created an effects heavy piece, short form, mainly stills animation with lots of rendering of previews in the ProRes codec. I exported matching sequence settings using previews and it exported as I expected: instantly as I had my sequence settings set up for ProRes and "smart rendering." Are you aware of the codecs which provide smart rendering? H.264 is not one of them, unfortunately.

My process: I exported my ProRes master and had no trouble creating H.264 masters in less than real time. For example, a :45 second spot was encoded in :40. I was using CUDA acceleration with a very modest NVIDA 650M, but this with minimal assistance since no GPU accelerated processes were needed (scaling, frame rate conversion, blend modes, GPU accelerated effects) as encoding from a ProRes master is primarily a CPU based process.

I think that a lot of my colleagues are having trouble encoding directly to H.264 at HD frame sizes because GPU accelerated processes are needed and the GPU that is used is insufficient, or not set up to be used properly (driver issues, etc.). Scaling from 2K and 4K to HD seems almost commonplace these days. You don't want to be scaling on export. In fact, I wouldn't even use scaled footage if my destination was HD. I'd transcode it up front to save time on the back end.

There are workflows that some use that can shave time off the encoding process by doing smaller tasks up front, such as being able to use preview files for encoding a master. Creating H.264 files for the internet from a master file using Media Encoder watch folders, etc. If you're experiencing greater than 1:1 export times, let us know.

Come back with any questions about how you can speed up your export processing times.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect these suggestions are going to solve a lot of issues for people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here  it is taking more than 4 hours to export only 4 min video

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2014 Mar 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure where else I should post this, but until the other day when I updated CC desktop app and Premiere CC, I was having great success on exporting.

2009 iMac 3g Intel Core 2 duo, 16gRam, OSX 10.8.5

I do mainly very simple stuff, usually education and business presentations.

From a 1080p/30/48k sequence, 4 dissolves and a slide at the beginning and end of the presentation. 1hr 9 min long.

Tried to go right to an FLV 764x432, only 600kbps and 80kbps audio, which I've done dozens of times already this year, even to a smaller screen size.

It took 7 hrs to get to 65% transcoded, then it froze.

Tried today to export from the aforementioned sequence to an h.264 mp4 file, 720p/30, 320 kbps AAC... thinking there was an issue going to flv. 

It took 12 minutes to get to 1% encoded.

Also, as MinutePhysics mentioned... I'm having no issues rendering stuff in the timeline, it's very fast.

... and checking my iMac's Activity Monitor, it's indicating that while encoding, Premiere is using 192% of my CPU capability.... which I've never seen before.

Something has happened with the update, and it's really a frustrating thing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2015 Mar 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok Guys this happened to me as well.

I was working with XDCamHD 1080P. one hour and a half sequence took 21 Hours to export. The first time when I exported it took max 2 hours but something happened (I don't know) the sequence setting has changed. Then when I checked the setting, it was totally different than XDCamHD 1080P. so I changed back to XDCamHD and problem fixed back to 2 hours export time.

so check your sequence setting, it should match your footage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a possibility:  You have a or some corrupted footage items in your timeline.  Try exporting between in and out the first half of your sequence.  Then, export the second half.  If there's a substantial difference in export times, the slow export likely contains your problem footage.   Keep reducing the export ranges until you isolate the culprit.  Then, replace it or transcode to another codec.

I've also seen corruption in my Preview files, and media caches.  When I have a "was working fine, but not any more" situation, I do a deep clean.  Trash Pr prefs, trash previews, trash caches.  And if that doesn't work, search and destroy corrupt media.  Final straw: uninstall and reinstall Pr.

Since you're on Mac, you might try Digital Rebellion's Corrupt Clip Finder.  I've been given hundreds of corrupt JPEGs from clients. Converting them to TIF or PNG has allowed me to finish my projects.

Good luck.

Edited to add new info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2014 Mar 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Made the mistake of running latest update of CC and now exporting basic H264 with YouTube 720p 29.97 settings is taking almost 3x's as long. Have lots of short 3-5 minute videos to turn around today and looking at hours of wasted time. Help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Macbook Pro 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 8GB memory - OSx 10.9.2

Premiere Pro CC 7.2.1 (4)

Just use CS6 as a test - same clip, same encode settings - 10 minutes vs. 50 minutes. Horrible

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2014 Mar 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad someone else can corroborate this! It is incredibly frustrating and I just had a 50-minute long phone call with someone at Adobe support who repeatedly just told me that my "system didn't have enough resources" to render faster. He completely ignored me when I tried to explain that I used to have significantly faster exports!

My exports are indeed appropriately fast when working with canon dslr footage, etc, but my jpg image sequences are still miserably slow. Is there any way to rever to an earlier version of CC? Or get a fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines