Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CC2018 unusable

New Here ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

recently Premiere Pro CC 2018 became unusable for me, as the whole software is lagging all over the place. Importing clips, adjusting them and even playback at 1/4 is a mess. Until ~three weeks ago I had zero problems with it but right now I cannot even edit simple videos. Other Adobe Software as After Effects or Lightroom are working flawless.

My specs:

AMD Ryzen 3 1200

Nvidia GeForce 1080 Mini

16GB RAM

240GB SSD + 5TB HDD

Windows 10

Here is what I tried so far without suceeding:

Downgrading to CC 2017                             --> Still the same problems with Premiere Pro

Disabling Accelerated Intel-h.264-encoding --> "

Trying different kinds of raw footage/sequence adjustments --> Issue seems to be unrelated to this

Wiping my system                                        --> Hours of downloading software again and Premiere still lagging

At this point, I'm using my Macbook Pro (Mid 2015) for editing, here Premiere Pro CC 2018 works as usual. However as it has weaker specs, it isn't a nice experience to work with it for bigger projects.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. Ater updating to cc18 it took about 5 min to show the welcome screen. Everything is slow and when editing or applying video transition it sometimes ends up in blue screen! Playing 4K video it plays fine then you want to stop, but it only stops after 2 to 5 min!! This is unacceptable.

I have Ryzen 7 1700X, 32Gb of Ram, windows 7 sp1 64 bit version Nvidia 1060 6GB

Also bluescreen error daily with media encoder cc18!

I went back to CC17 and it is much better

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There seems to be a memory leak associated with the following change:

Changes to Dolby Decoding and Encoding Support

Start a fresh project.  Import only a small group of clips using the Media Browser.  Let those clips conform, close and restart Premiere Pro to flush the memory, then import the next small group.  Close and restart Premiere Pro one final time after all import and conforming is finished, and before you begin any editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this problem too, it is so frustrating. its been nearly a month for you, has anything changed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This 'build' or Premiere is so bad I am considering changing teams. Honestly the last usable version was 2014.

We do this for a living and right now this 'professional' tool is actually costing me time and money. Adobe.. you need to get on the ball. DaVinci Resolve is currently 10xs more stable. And free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second that. I can't remember the last time Resolve has crashed on me, never in the last 6 months+. If DaVinci introduce a better titling system then Im out of here.

I've lost count of how many times PP and AE have crashed/restarted my machine today alone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If DaVinci introduce a better titling system then Im out of here.

All fusion title presets in Davinci Resolve 15 - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 12, 2018 Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Theres just one bug in Resolve's titling that really frustrates me Jim and that's when you place a transparent block behind multi-line text. The lower type gets pushed behind the matte. It has existed for years, I'm really not sure why they don't fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all !

We cannot say that Premiere Pro 2018 is unusable !

Did you consider updating your graphics card driver to the latest version ?

Check if your GPU is compatible with your premiere pro version (check at Adobe website)

you say weeks ago it was fine then now it is not working, this is confusing ...

What types of clips are you working on ? is it slow on all media types ?

Did you try clearing media cache files ? did you clean all the old ones that

remain in the hidden app data folder even from older versions of premiere ?

Considering Media Encoder that some folks mentioned, it should always be updated

to the latest after updating Premiere, never update Premiere only without ME.

Try increasing your RAM to 32 split as (8 x 4) for better playback and scrubbing

Put the rushes you want to edit on your SSD and leave the HDD for backups

There are many reasons for your problems, and all who were mentioning Resolve

or other software as better in performance, from my experience, when there is

something wrong, it would affect any software in one way or another, all of them crash

when things are not going right.

Let me know how I can be of further help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess that depends upon what your definition of 'unusable' is.

I can't speak for others but my OS and all drivers are up to date. My hardware is on the compatibility list. I'm running everything from SSD's and I have 32GB of ram (8x4). I don't have any current issues with any other software one either of my machines. These issues arose with the latest PP and AE updates.

How would Adobe's half baked updates have any affect upon Resolve?

The fact is that at this point in time the latest versions of PP and AE are unstable, I lost an afternoon of time/money today battling PP, and I have to pay for that privilege. The current version of Resolve however (on the same machine) is very stable, efficient and it's free.

I don't know how you can be of further help, you tell us?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please describe in more detail what exactly are you doing on the

timeline ? What type of footage ? Any effects or lumetri applied ? Any

keyframing ? Just a bit of more details maybe I can help you out. I have

the latest versions of everything adobe in my macbook pro and doing

strenuous keyframing and nesting + mogrts etc... without any issues until

now thankfully

My intention is to help you and not criticise the way you are working

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have the latest version of PP then just drop a transparent PNG onto your timeline, you'll soon see issues, just like everyone else reporting them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty much straight forward assembly with some transitions. I do all the heavy lifting in Resolve as far as color work goes.

FX work is done on another machine entirely. I don't use Premiere for any motion graphics or FX.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well... Since I upgraded to 12.1 my timeline started to freeze after couple of seconds fast forward playback. Sometimes crashing during the start up as well.
I rolled back to 12.0.1 and the problems are gone again. So all the talk about system not powerful enough is bu****. It's clearly bugs in software.

Wish all the best luck for Adobe team to find them

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure there are many factors but the problems I'm having are totally random. One second I'm cruising along and then I'll move the CTI and everything goes black.. for a VERY long time. Media sometimes comes up pending and never displays.. Switching tools sometimes causes beachballs that last for minutes. Playback is choppy even with fully rendered sequences. I literally have to restart at least 5 times a day. This is stuff that just shouldn't happen with t pro app. and it certainly shouldn't happen when I have clients in the room.

And this isn't a hardware issue. My Mac is fully maxed out. I have 58 gb of ram thrown at Premiere. My video card is one of the highest end that Adobe supports. I'm running 4 thunderbolt QNAPS with 120 TB of very fast RAID storage. And I'm only having these issues with Premiere. Every other video app I use has zero issues playing back 4K raw. Premiere is having trouble with 1080p media.

This acts more like a buggy program with a bunch of memory leaks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try deleting media cache and old preview and render files sometimes they

cause such behaviours.. for switching tools the delay happens with me on

premiere 2017 but not 2018 till now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I delete the Media Cache pretty much every day. It does nothing but take up some time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of footage are you dealing with ? Is it 4k ?

Today i tried testing on an old windows 7 pc with some avc intra upper

field footage at full hd. Working on an hdd. Playback was slow. So i tried

creating proxies of all the rushes... proxies ingested at h.264 720p and

edited 4 sources on multicam played back really great at full res, then

applied some audio mastering, color correction and stuff, rendering and

export was good. That was on cc 2018 latest update.

Try proxies for now, on cc 2018 it is easy, create proxies and save to

originals then replace with originals after editing and color correcting

etc ...

I will make some research and testing and get back to your problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But C12 IS unusable.  I upgraded earlier today and have spent 3 hours trying to add two title bars and and an ending splash screen to an .mp4/h.265 video I am so frustrated I don't know what to do.  I have branding clips I have to import for a client or I would have changed platforms already.  It has taken over two hours to compile a 3 minute video.  I did update encoder when I updated Premiere.  Items won't move or resize in real time, I spent an hour figuring out that I have to zoom out to resize a transition.  What a big awful mess!  Things were working fine on CC17 yesterday - so, don't give me the company line that it must be some sudden incompatibility with my computer.  You guys gotta FIX this, this is my livelihood (and sanity) you're messing with here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My work PC is very powerful (32Gigs RAM) and seems to run Premire OK, but at home with a mere 16gigs and a 2! year old video card, its pretty bad. Am sad so much is 'cloud-based'. Example: I use Illustrator daily. When I'm in a hurry, I wind up using our older stand-alone version. (2015?) MUCH faster. I am starting to wonder what we are paying so much money for. Its certainly not increased speed and stability. 2 cents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vincent,

here are Adobe System Requirements, I didn't find your graphics card listed :

Adobe Premiere Pro System Requirements

While incompatible graphic cards bring havoc to premiere pro, the same ones

might work as charm on other platforms like Resolve and so... not a rule to judge from

whether Premiere Pro is a reliable professional editing software or no.

Try working on a friend's pc who might have a compatible graphics card and double check

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2018 Jul 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going back to using Premiere Pro 2015, the 2018 version is just so bad. I can't even play one video without any effects on 1/4 resolution. i just tried the same on Premiere Pro 2015 and it works like a charm. I don't know what Adobe is doing atm, but keep it up guys, soon we'll all be buying another program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2018 Jul 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update isn't great

Rushing importing as 9.16 when they are clearly 16.9.

Fonts not showing up.

Nothing like opening up a project in front of client and everything be flip and defaulted to £D Adventure font.

Can see why Avid community laugh at Premiere sometime, Blackmagic might just steal the Adobe Editing Market.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 2 different macs with the same specs but different OS and different versions of Premiere. They are both practically unusable although the one with Mavericks and Premiere 2015.4 is WAY more stable.

They suffer from different issues at different times for no apparent reason but it's guaranteed that no job will be easy or simple. Clips not showing audio, clips not showing video, clips marked as missing when rendering while they are there. Premiere giving errors when trying to open a file created the previous day... I could go on and on.

Today all I had to do was render a short composition. 4 hours later I still haven't managed it and my only solution is to keep trying and hope for the best. Adobe support is beyond pointless. One minute they are telling you to upgrade to the latest version of Premiere to resolve your issues and when this doesn't work, the next support person tells you that your problems are caused by the latest version and that you should downgrade. The first thing support wants to do nowadays is take remote control of your machine! This happens before even reading what the issue is. Sure, you can't make reliable software so I'm going to let you loose on my machine!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have experimented with Davinci Resolve Versions 14-15.  I have not had any problems.  On the Black Magic Design web site User's Forums users report bugs.  No editing program is probably bug free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines