• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere pro crashes after importing video file.

Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2019 Jan 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've had this problem for over 5 months now. I've tried a lot of solutions I found online from people experiencing the same problem. But sadly, nothing worked..

A good pal of mine who works with Premiere and After Effects on a daily base managed to fix it (a long time ago). But literally a week later, the problem was back and he wasn't able to fix it again.

I stopped looking for a solution for a while until recently when I needed the program again. So now I'm headed for the forums in the hope someone can help me out here.

I'll explain the problem down here, but I will also upload a video to YouTube to show what's going on.

THE PROBLEM:

Premiere starts up normal. It doesn't crash at all (I let it run for around 10 minutes without importing anything to see if it will crash) but all was good. I tried resetting my preferences by holding ALT at startup, removing my workspaces, removing and installing the software again (Also tried 2017, 2018 and 2019 version), Updating all my drivers, changing to MPE Software only and manually ending all Adobe related tasks since I heard this could cause some trouble as well. I also tried multiple videos (Videos from a year ago and one I made today to test) and different file types. (MP.4, .wmv)

Note that, As soon as I even TOUCH the imported video file with my mouse (Even hovering over it, so, basically interacting with it). Everything crashes. Also, Photoshop and other Adobe software run smoothly.

Video link: Me showing how my Premiere crashes. - YouTube

I hope that someone can help me resolve this problem.

Cheers

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 24, 2019 Jan 24, 2019

Do you want to hear something wild?  After I left the first message I made sure I did a full uninstall of the GTX 1070, driver and all.  After scanning for a new device and installing I tried running Premiere before and after the update.  No success.  I started to think about what I was doing different because the software had been working since I installed it a few days ago.  The one thing that was different was my display.  Every time I had used Premiere I was using my television as a monitor

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I,m not shure, but have a roughly idea.

Once , when I used premierepro (what I quitted a few month ago because of too many annoying reasons) I had some similar problem.

What if you switch your view in the bin-window to something else , like listview (any vie without the thumbnails with autoplay).

The reason of your problem could possibly be, that you have set it to thumbnailview, which is autmatically activating a "preview-player" as soon as you hover over it or even click it. That can maybe crash the player at all (for various reasons) and the micro-playback-window is waiting for response for ever.

only an idea...maybe worth to try it out....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply!

Fun thing is, there is some progress! But the problem is still there...

I can now import a video file and hover over it and even click on it without crashing by making the changes you suggested.

But as soon as I drag it or drop it in the timeline. It instantly crashes again...

But we're slowly getting there, it's at least a step in the right direction I think

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start with Steps 3D and 4D below.  Report back.

Unofficial Premiere Pro Troubleshooting Guide

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jim,

Thanks for the reply, I read the document and also tried out some other steps. Sadly, now result.

Step 4D isn't fully doable for me since my profession is game art (As a freelancer and at a studio) Due to that, I prefer some other software over Premiere. I only have one machine as well. (Medion Erazer laptop) If it helps, here are the specs:

• Intel Core i7-6700HQ processor
  • Windows 10 Home operating system
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M graphics
  • 256 GB SSD + 1,000 GB Hard Disk Drive
  • 16 GB DDR4 of RAM

Cheers 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try changing the location of your Cache folder (To a different drive). If that does not work, try updating your GPU's driver

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, there's a reason Step 4D exists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2019 Jan 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that the problem has something to do with the way Premiere interacts with the video card.  I began having the exact same issue this evening and couldn't find a way to make it work.  I have been searching for the last hour hoping someone would have the solution.  Crashes seem common in Premiere, but this one is a bit obscure. 

I attempted to uninstall Premiere and load an older version, but experienced the same result.  About 10 minutes ago I enabled my onboard graphics card and disabled my GTX 1070.  The issue went away.  I was able to drop videos on the timeline and play them.  As soon as I enabled my NVIDIA graphics card again Premiere crashed.  I tried to uninstall the 1070 to see if it would function properly once it was discovered again, but that was a failure, too... 

Everything was working until tonight.  I would believe the source of the issue was my graphics card if it wasn't working with any other software, but After Effects works fine.  There's something about Premiere that doesn't play well with this device.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you want to hear something wild?  After I left the first message I made sure I did a full uninstall of the GTX 1070, driver and all.  After scanning for a new device and installing I tried running Premiere before and after the update.  No success.  I started to think about what I was doing different because the software had been working since I installed it a few days ago.  The one thing that was different was my display.  Every time I had used Premiere I was using my television as a monitor via the HDMI port.  The problem occurred earlier when I was attempting to do some editing while using the screen on the laptop.

Right before this message I plugged my HDMI cable back into my laptop and made my television the main display.  I tested Premiere and it worked perfectly.  It's a 4K tv but I have my resolution set to 1920 x 1080.  The same resolution as my laptop screen.  The difference that I'm seeing is that my laptop is set to use the Microsoft Display Adapter, not the NVIDIA card.  The option to change the resolution is greyed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I wasn't able to resolve the issue with why the NVIDIA card isn't the default GPU for my laptop display, but I did find a solution that makes Premiere function properly.  If you have an NVIDIA graphics card all you have to do is open up the NVIDIA control panel, select  Manage 3D settings, Program Settings, select Premiere from the drop down list, select your graphics card, and then click apply.  Hope this works for you, too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2019 Jan 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I took a while to respond. Currently moving abroad for work. I'll definitely try this out and let you know how it went!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2019 Jan 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IT WORKED! I didn't try Premiere on another monitor since that was one of the last things I thought that would solve it. But it works perfectly fine now! I too use a TV screen as my second monitor. Thanks mate!! After a really long time of searching the web for answers and trying all kinds of stuff, it's finally fixed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2022 Feb 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Im going to off myself i have been sat here for 4 hours nothing is working and my project was due in a month ago

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines