Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro Crashing consistently on M1 Max

New Here ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone, 

I just recieved my new 14 inch M1 Max (32gb RAM) and I'm having a lot of issues with 2022 Premiere Pro crashes. I'm no expert in the software but essentially PP just freezes and becomes unable to scrub through clips/locate media. Can anyone give me some help? I imagine I haven't set something up properly. 

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SDD,

Sorry for this negative experience. As I understand it, you're getting poor performance in the M1 Mac. I would probably need to ask you about details around the footage you are using, the Sequence Setting you are operating with, and the effects and workflows you have applied to your clips. Please be as specific as you can so the community can make the best possible suggestions for you. Hope we can get you some assistance.

Thanks!

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SAME... got my 16inch M1 Max today. After setting everything up, threw THREE 6k BMPCC Raw clips in. Color graded and added a single music track to test. Had an after effects comp in there and now it keeps giving me the rainbow spinner, lags out, closes. When I reopen, the after effects comp isnt linked anymore and it wont let me link it. Every time I try to link it back, it hangs and crashes again. NOT what I was hoping for with all the hype behind this machine....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Defaulterrwhatsyer....

What plug-in were you using for BRAW, bruh? The BMD or Autokroma? How does it behave with a native ProRes file? If you can: give us mo' info.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There Adobe Team,

I'm having a similar experience - the error says Adobe Player 63 and Premiere completely freezes

The sequence is USH 3849x2160, the footage is XAVC-L from Sony FS7. The machine is M1Max 32gig.

Looking forward to your thoughts on this.

Many thanks,

Filip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Filip!

Sorry about the issue. Are you getting this issue with specific files? If so, could you try launching Premiere Pro in Rosetta mode? https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT211861

Have you already tried resetting preferences

Let us know how it does.

Thanks,

Kartika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2022 Jan 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kartika,

Thanks so much for the reply and the tip about running Premiere in Rosetta.

I just tried it (opening from the CC App) and unfortuntely got the same result. The moment I hit spacebar to play on a specific clip, Premiere shows the Adobe Player 63 Error and a second later crashes.

I'm currently working on another project (rather than the first one I originally posted about) and having the same issue with the crashing. This time it happens when I enable the Multicamera option on a clip (Right click - Multicam - Enable). The moment I hit play PP throws the Adobe Player 63 error and crashes.

Inside of the multicam is footage from 3 cameras - Sony FS7 (XAVC-I), Sony A7SII (XAVC-S) and Canon C100 (.mts). All of the audio clips have been brought in from Adobe Audition, so they shouldn't be an issue.

The sequence is 1920x1080, 25fps, previews set to ProRes 422.

I tried re-setting preference and re-installing premiere, but no luck.

Thanks so much for your help with this 🙂

Filip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe Team,

just watend to let you know that eventually the solution for me was not using sound in a nested Multicam sequence. Only using Multicam for visuals solved the problem.

Cheers,

Filip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar issue. Brand new mac with top specs:

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021)

Chip: Apple M1 Max

Total Number of Cores: 10 (8 performance and 2 efficiency)

Memory: 64 GB

Running Monterey 12.1 (up to date)

Premiere Pro 22.0 (build 169)

After Effects 22.0.0 (build 111)

I used to edit on a 2018 model 13 inch, 16 GB ram. It was getting slow, but had few crashes. On this new beast of a machine, premiere pro freezes, spins the wheel endlessly, doesn't respond etc. Usual workflow is that I always work in prores 422 - pretty much everything is converted to prores before import except a few standard h.264, mp4 videos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry inac, and thanks for the report on your workflow. That's not great news. I hope it gets better. I am in support and cannot really comment on the state of the M1, so, sorry about that. I do know the team is hard at work at M1 innovations and adds more and more support for each version. I will see what I can find out about ProRes support and will even try out some here at the home studio.

I'm from Cupertino. CHS Pioneers. I worked inside Apple on XSAN, and 2 Revs of FCP, LiveType, FCP Express, Cinema Tools and Motion. I taught FCP for 10 years. Huge fan boy. Still have my Bondi Blue Yosemite! I also have an M1, but I haven't really cranked on it very much yet as it's not fully ready for Adobe business apps yet. You know...I'll start banging on it so I can get in on your upvotes and feedback.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd love to enclose a 35 secs video of how my MB Pro M1 Pro 14 32 GB Dec' 2021 handles Premiere Pro. I'm a YouTuber on cars (Pertyn Ględzi) and I switched to M1 after my MB pro 2015 had no more power to go on with my vids. I usually make videos on 4-5 GoPros or DJI Action on 4K 30 FPS plus photos 1920/1080 and separate audio. Nothing special so. And it freezes, jumps etc. (apart from the audio, which is great). I don't know what it means I don't have the permission to upload a video, but…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never heard back from you, SDD93. Been a couple of months now. How about a scene report, friend? What was the format you are having trouble with, please?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2022 Jan 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2021)

Chip: Apple M1 Pro

Total Number of Cores: 8 (6 performance and 2 efficiency)

Memory: 16 GB

Running Monterey 12.2 (up to date)

Premiere Pro 22.1.2 (build 1)
Sequence: 1920x1080 @25fps
Rec.709

The situation is terrible. Continuos crash, about every 5 minutes. Sometimes when it crashes, macos aks for assistandId login to input password. Even if I put in it, will crash after a few seconds, everything freeze, the only way is to hard reboot. For me it's unusable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 16" M1 Max (64gb RAM) and PP2022 crashes constantly when it boots and during editing. I was using a 13" M1 MacBook Pro (16gb RAM) prior to this week and was having the same problems. I have resorted to using PP2021 which is much more stable.

Is there any news about getting a fix? I'm confused why Adobe released such a bug-ridden version of Premiere? I can't rememeber a more unuseable verison of any Adobe application in the last 10+ years. It's especially odd on the heels of numerous major Apple hardware releases.... 

Adobe Support-- please advise!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Premiere professionally for 15 years.  This is HANDS DOWN the worst, buggiest version I've ever had the misfortune to use.  This is not an exaggeration.  I don't even know if I'll be able to make it through this edit.  I'm using an M1 Macbook Pro and it can't play 1080 h.264 footage at 1/4th resolution without stuttering.  4k footage?  Forget about it.  All of this, by the way, plays like butter in other software packages.  Bringing in a MOGRT?  Nope, sorry, beach ball of death.  I have no interest in learning another editing package, and yet I'm pretty sure I don't have a choice anymore.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same for me bro.   Im pulling my hair out.  Had support work on my Laptop for over 3 hours and he couldn't fix.  Tried Rosetta nothing.   Even the drop down lists lag by about 4 clicks before catching up.   So so dissapointed.   How do these companies stay in biz?  I can't believe I have to jump ship mid video project.  The question is, is Final cut any better?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Davinci Resolve is super smooth on my M1.  I've been hesistant to switch since I'm not nearly as familiar with it, but I literally don't know if I have a choice.  I just finished a project in Premiere, and there was a terrifying moment when it would crash immediately on re-opening my file after it crashed doing something pretty routine.  Eventually I got it to work but will I be as lucky next time?  I never did get my MOGRT's to work... not even close.  After Effects, Lightroom, and Photoshop all work fine for me, but I don't use them nearly as much as Premiere.  

I have a close friend with one of the very expensive Intel Mac Pros, and he has the same ridiculous menu problems you're describing, so it's not just a special M1 issue.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with you Aaronstrom. We're using Premiere 2021 for post finishing and we always test new versions before we upgrade. I'm testing 2022 on a basic Mac Mini M1 16GB and this version or Premiere is scaring me.  Many, many, many crashes.  Right now, Premiere 2022 is "more stable" with this set-up, but by no means actually stable or reliable.

here's my set-up: Mac Mini M1 16GB / 12 TB external drive via usb-c / Dell HD monitor via usb-c to display port / cutting with ProRes HD footage  (all-in-all a very low demand set-up)

settings: "open with rosetta"; open Intel version of Premiere 22.2 via Creative Cloud; set project setting to mercury playback engine software; set Memory pref to 13GB for Premiere 3GB everything else.  Hope this helps someone...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there a updated on this yet? Here are the details

• 16 inch 2021 M1 max
  • 64gig Memory 
  • Running MacOs Monterey Version 12.3
  • Adobe Premiere Pro 2022 

Constantly crashing and I am not even pushing the program or macbook at all. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

M1 Max MBP 64GB. Randomly crashes and also crashes EVERYTIME i click into the audio tab. Garbage application. Guess its time to finally learn FCP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about that, Jonathan. Which "audio tab" are you speaking of? Export Settings? Anything else you can tell us? I'm beginning to suspect that most everyone experiencing trouble is on macOS 12.2 Monterey. I've noticed an uptick in cases since then. I wonder if rolling back to Big Sur or performing maintenance steps in Monterey (repairing folder permissions, erase and install, repairing disk permissions, repairing folder permissions) might help? I'll continue to investigate.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue as many others already described. M1 Max with Monetery, Premiere crashes unexpectedly but almost ALWAYS when i try to switch to multicam mode. Sequence settings in UHD 25fps, footage BM and ProRes. Also my SSD drive gets ejected when Premiere crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, obert,

Sorry, you are having trouble with your Mac and Premiere Pro. Did you say you are using BRAW? That is an unsupported format. What happens if you leave that specific format out of the equation and transcode it instead? Did you have any trouble in the past with this computer, or was it only after updating to macOS Monterey? Let me know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, Premiere rarely EVER crashed on my 2018 15" i9 MBP in my 3 years of owning it.... But Premiere on my 16" M1 Pro generally operates better as far as playback, renders and exports save for some strange glitches every now and then.... but Premiere contstantly crashes and gives me the spinning wheel like 3-5 times in 5-8 hours every day. Such a shame.

Quick tip for those experiencing laggy playback, in my experience playing back at 1/2 or 1/4 quality actually bogs down the M1 Pro for some reason. When working with 4K footage I found that keeping playback at full resolution is smoother. I DON'T KNOW WHY.

The advancements Apple has made with ARM processors is exciting but it sucks that software developers lag so far behind, 1+ year to run natively and probably another year or two before developers can get it right, but by then Apple will have again completely "revolutionized" computers and the cycle will continue. I miss the old days when being an Apple fanboy was a good thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2022 Apr 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I'm editting in Premiere Pro it means it is crashing. On my 16GB M1(2020) Mac Mini, I can't go more than 10 minutes without Premiere Pro unexpectedly crashing and I'm not doing anything remotely advanced or taxing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines