• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro Crashing Entire OS

Explorer ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had experiences with Premiere crashing my entire OS before, but usually only once per session. This week it's crashing every few minutes making it unusable. I have already reset all my preferences and cleared the media cache.  I've checked for updates on both the MacOS side and Creative Cloud side and there are non-available.  I don't know what to try next but I cannot use Premiere in its current state.

I will post specs and version numbers below, if anyone else can think of what is going wrong please let me know.

MacBook Pro 13-inch, M2, 2022
16GB RAM
512GB SSD
MacOS Version: 13.1 (22C65)
Adobe Premiere Pro 2023 version 23.1.0 (Build 86)
Adobe Creative Cloud version 5.9.0.373

TOPICS
Crash , Editing , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are some basic things to check...    And don't think I'm talking down to you, just hard to tell your level of experience from your post..

I've worked on a variety of macs and windows machines and although never one with an M2 chip and never seen frequent OS crashes, and I would assume that since we're not seeing alot of reports of this problem that it's either a hardware issue with your mac or something wonky with the install.  So reinstalling OS and Premiere is not a bad place to start...

Here are a few other ideas

Do you have at least 20% free space on your boot drive?  Is your media stored on your boot drive?  Not always recommended but shouldn't be causing these sorts of problems...    

Maybe try creating a new user with administrator privileges in your mac system preferences:  users and groups.  And then log in to the new user.   

Do you have any peripherals connected to your macbookpro?

What are your source properties?   pixel dimensions, frame rate and codec are important.  You might tell us what cameras your sources were shot with...

Resetting Premiere preferences is a simple and quick troubleshooting step..

It's important to approach this systematically.  Post back and let us know if any of this helps.  If not, we can suggest some other things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Do you have at least 20% free space on your boot drive? Is your media stored on your boot drive?
    • I have 386.03 GB available of 494.38 GB and the internal SSD is the only drive I am using. I am pulling the media files from the DropBox application, but they are locally downloaded. ( I can try copying them to another local directory if you think it might help )
  • Maybe try creating a new user with administrator privileges in your mac system preferences: users and groups. And then log in to the new user.
    • I am the only user on the device and have administrative privileges.
  • Do you have any peripherals connected to your macbookpro?
    • I have the Apple USB-C Digital AV Port Multiadapter plugged in with the charger passing through and the HDMI port connected to a MSI G271 monitor ( I had this running at 144hz, the internal Mac display is only at 60hz. At the time of writing this I JUST changed it to see if it helps, haven't tested yet ) 
    • I have pair of Sony XM4 headphones connected via the 3.5mm port
    • I also have a Razer Deathadder V2 Pro connected via Bluetooth
  • What are your source properties?
    • Open Broadcast Software captured footage. Dimensions:L 1920x1080. Codec: Timecode, MPEG-4 AAC, H.264 (these are 30FPS recordings)
    • FL Studio exported .wav files
    • Various PNG files

If there is any additional information I missed please let me know and I can provide it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• At the time of writing this I JUST changed it to see if it helps, haven't tested yet
    • I just changed it to 60hz from 144. Still have yet to test it.
  • I am the only user on the device and have administrative privileges.
    • I misread the original post, I can attempt to create another user if nothing else seems obvious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

software installations and other causes can cause issues with your user settings, so creating a new user with administrative privileges is a quick and simple test to see if it solves the problem.   

Not familiar with Open Broadcast Software footage but if it's a screen capture that may be the source of the problem...  Screen recordings are often variable frame rate which can cause intermittent and unpredictable problems.  Here's how to confirm the diagnosis and fix the issue

use mediainfo to determine whether your source is variable or constant frame rate
https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download
if it's variable use handbrake to convert to constant frame rate setting the quality slider in the video panel to maximum
https://handbrake.fr
and here's a tutorial on how to use handbrake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=34&v=xlvxgVREX-Y

Adobe has supposedly been working on the variable frame rate issue for the past few years but I haven't seen any notifications that it's been dealt with...  bwdik...

And I would try working with just the built in monitor as a troubleshooting step...  I know that you need to work with an external monitor, I know I do...  You might try mirroring rather than using an extended desktop, again as a troubleshooting step or if you're working with mirroring, or try using an extended desktop.  There were also reports of issues with undocked panels a while ago, so. reset to one of the default workspaces is another troubleshooting step...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I misspoke earlier. While the video was originally recorded with OBS, which is a screen recording software, they were exported in Resolve. They were recorded as MKVs and then exported as MP4 files.  ( Sorry for the trouble, these files were passed to me and I just checked with them ).  I do already use handbrake to convert other mkv or webp files so I don't think variable frame rate is my issue here.

In the mean time I've installed premiere 22.2 and am going to try that as well, just was working on exporting the XML file so I didn't have to start the project over.

I am also in the process of re-installing 23.1, but am performing a quick backup first incase a MacOS re-install is in the cards.

As for the panels, they're all docked, so I don't think that would be an issue. Plus these were reset in the preferences reset.

I will try your monitor solution if the 60hz change, 22.2, re-install of 23.1, or user profile change doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as far as I know, OBS does record a constant frame rate, however can't hurt to check mp4's with media info to confirm that they're CFR.    Have you tried creating a new system user?   and tried just working with the laptop screen?  These are simple troubleshooting steps.   And if the crashes are happening frequently, you'll quickly see if either of these solves the problem...  If they do, we can probably figure out a way to proceed...    I've attached a screen grab to show you where you can find the frame rate readout in Media InfoScreen Shot 2023-01-05 at 6.56.29 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delay. I was performing a few of the tests you had suggested.

Trying it with my standard user with just the internal display still caused crashing.

After copying some (not all) files to the the Shared user folder and copying those to the document folder of a new user, I was able to edit with no crashes, even when reconnecting the second monitor.

I am unsure currently if it's the file location that is the issue, or if there is something corrupt with my user profile.

Additionally, I did verify with MediaInfo that the media files were constant frame rate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realized the screenshot didn't attach. Should be attached here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are you using any non-standard characters in your file or folder names?    Things like *, /, \, &, ...    Also, could be a permissions issue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far I've re-installed Premiere, MacOS and moved files from DropBox to local files. The only non-standard characters I see in the files are "," "+" "-" .  I am still experiencing crashing. I've tried to reset file permissions and I added Premiere to full disk access.  I'm running out of things to try aside from a format / reinstall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, want to make sure we're talking about characters in the file names...

google is your friend...  Here's what I just found

Do not use any of these common illegal characters or symbols in your filenames or folders:
# pound. % percent. & ampersand. { left curly bracket. } right curly bracket. ...
< left angle bracket. > right angle bracket. * asterisk. ? ...
$ dollar sign. ! exclamation point. ' single quotes. ...
+ plus sign. ` backtick. | pipe. = equal sign.

So replace the + and any other signs that are forbidden.  You can use a file renaming utility to batch process many files...  Just google mac file renaming utilities...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I've done a few things in addition to this and have not ran into any crahses *yet*.  I format / reinstalled MacOS to have a fresh start, I renamed all files that contained any of the characters from that list, and I removed all audio effects from the audio track mixer.  I have made more progress in 1 session than I have in the past week.  I appreciate all your help.  If I have more issues I will come back to this post and see if there are additional things I may be missing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the culprit seems to have been editing directly off of the Dropbox folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't had a chance to extensively test it yet, but I suspect this is the issue.  I will report back to this thread when I get a chance to try editing with files in another directory. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it's been over a week, but I haven't had time to edit til just today again. Still experiencing frequent crashes on the same project.  I haven't been able to test another project to see if the same thing happens, but I would be surprised if it was related to just this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've attached the most recent crash report incase someone knows what to look for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines