• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CS 5.5 not capturing ShotDate Time

New Here ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this goes way back, but I am using an old editing computer with Premiere Pro CS 5.5 to archive old MiniDV tapes. I am having an issue capturing the original ShotDate Time in the metadata. I have the correct date shown, but the time shows 00:00:00. I've used multiple cameras and multiple playback decks and they all show the original time. So the data is there on the tape, but for some reason Premiere Pro doesn't want to read it. 

I am currently trying to use a Sony GV-D1000 to transfer the video through FireWire to the PC. This deck is included in the drop down list of Capture Devices. I also have a Sony GV-HD700/1 but that model isn't in the drop down. I forgot to mention I'm using an air gapped PC (no network connectivity).

While capturing I'm able to use Scene Detect to separate clips, suggesting that PP is seeing the difference in time changes. 

I've been digging through the community and elsewhere online off and on for months and finally deciding just to make my own post and see if anyone happens to know how to fix this issue. 

Thanks!

TOPICS
Error or problem , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brian,

Shot date? From tape? I am not sure how that can happen. Can it? File-based cameras, sure, but tape? It delivers a timestamp for the shot date, and an onscreen reference, but I don't believe it's the same kind of metadata that can be extracted or used in an NLE - that doesn't strike my memory, anyway. It seems to be something you could add manually in Premiere Pro or a dedicated capture program.

When old stuff doesn't work, I always ask about the computer and OS. With your virtual machine, are you roughly in the same environment as system requirements were at the time? I don't think Windows 10 was around in the 5.5 era, for example.

Another thing to try: what you might do is obtain a simple DV capture utility app that can capture your files and import a file and test it in 5.5, like HDV Split. Is the metadata included now? 

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah the MiniDV tapes were all digital. The Timestamp data I'm able to view on the cameras and tape decks isn't a video overlay on the actual video, just a display setting on those devices. Which would mean that the date and time metadata is embedded on the tape. 

I'm not using a virtual machine but an actual old video editing desktop I had that was collecting dust. 

The issue with using a different utility app is the computer is airgapped and cannot be connected to a network. Unless I download something separate and install it via USB or DVD I'm stuck with CS 5.5. I tried to dig through the .prproj file to see if there was any metadata in there but all of the Time values were some random proprietary number that didn't obviously represent HH:MM:SS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently captured several dv AVI's.

All show date shot and date created.

CS6 and 22.2 and beta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it showing the time it was shot? I've got the date but I'm not seeing the time on Premiere Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AnnBens_0-1646686834948.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the screenshot. Looks like Premiere Pro may not be able to capture the record time after all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...So the data is there on the tape, but for some reason Premiere Pro doesn't want to read it. 

By @Brian23404029wos5

If you are on Windows, use ScenalyzerLive to capture the tapes. All metadata will be carried over. ScenalyzerLive used to be payware but is freeware today and has all the functions one need and is superiour to the capture tool in Premiere Pro. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines