• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro Extremely Slow/Laggy

New Here ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Adobe Premiere Pro for work and have been having issues for the last week with extreme lag on playback (in both the program and preview windows) and slow use overall. Just clicking on a new layer or panel takes 20-30 seconds to even respond and it frequently gives me a "not responding" error for a few minutes before coming back. I'm editing 1080p 29.97fps .mp4 files so proxies are unnecessary. I do have a MOGRT file in the timeline but I have used this same template in other projects with no issue before this started happening. My CPU during playback never gets over 60% use

So far, I have tried (without positive results):

- GPU hardware acceleration (CUDA) turned on

- Empty/Move media cache to different drive

- Moved project and files to different drive 

- Max RAM allocation to Adobe programs

- Checked for updates (using version 23.0)

- Lowered playback resolution

- Toggled "High Quality Playback" to "off"

- Made sure footage and sequence settings match

- Global FX muted

- Closed all unnecessary panels

- Rendered timeline (program window still lags and there is no option to render preview window)

- Audio hardware Default Input set to "No Input"

- New sequence and re-import footage and assets

- Close all other open programs on my laptop

- Several program and computer restarts

Here are my laptop specs:

Processor: 12th Gen Intel Core 19-12900HK 2.5GHz

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti

RAM: 64gb

Storage: 679gb Free

Premiere is practically unusable at this point and I'm behind on projects because of the severe lag. Any helpful advice other than what I have already tried is welcome!

TOPICS
Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Liz,

Have you updated Premiere Pro in the middle of a project? If so, can you try a brand new project? Are the same issues occurring? Let us know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin, thanks so much for the reply!

I haven't updated Premiere since it was installed a few weeks ago onto this laptop, so I don't think that would be the issue. I will say this particular project was previously a Team Project that I converted to a normal one, althought I thought that would improve performance issues but they've been the same. I have also tried opening previously completed projects and have been having the same issue. I'm going to try moving everything to another separate drive and starting fresh to see if that helps, although I'm sad to see hours to work go to waste over this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't even import files into a brand new project in Premiere now without getting "not responding" every time I click on something. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Liz,

Which camera shot the clips? Some clips from my DSLR in HD playback terribly. I transcode them to ProRes LT. Can you right-click on a clip and choose > Properties? Does it say "Variable Frame Rate" in the last line of the description?

Did you choose File > Close All Projects for deleting Media Cache first? Then did you choose Preferences > Media Cache and delete all the media cache - the second choice in the Delete Media Cache Files dialog box? If any projects are opened, the correct option is disabled. It says, "Delete All Media Cache Files (requires restart)."

Hope to help.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

I did find the solution - our IT department had told my team that working off of a VPN would solve our storage issues, but neither of us realized how severe the bottleneck situation would be working off of that. I copied and moved all the project files, but I hadn't relinked the source footage to pull from the new drive instead of the old one, which is why creating a new project in a different drive didn't work. I just had to offline the media and tell it where to go from there. 

Thank you so much for the advice with clearing the media cache, I didn't realize it wouldn't work correctly with any projects open!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good for you, liz! Glad you figured that out. Thanks for reporting back on the solution.

Cheers,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines