• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro Freezes Opening project unless I duplicate file

Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Going nuts here.  Working on a documentary, have a large project file.  

When I try to open the project, premiere freezes up about 3/4 of the way through.  Even if the media is offline.

I can create a new project and import the old project into it and its fine...until I quit premiere and try to open it again.

I have also discovered that I can just duplicate the project and give it a new name, and it will open fine the first time but then again, if I quit premiere and try to reopen it - total freeze.

Driving me nuts.  Anyone else had this or find a workaround other than cloning the project file everytime I open it?

TOPICS
Crash , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

Before we can determine the problem holding you back (which sounds annoying!), I'd like to ask you to give us a detailed overview of your set-up. What OS are you on, with which, CPU, GPU, how much RAM is installed, the version of Premiere you're using, that kind of stuff. 

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a very similar issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, turns out none of my solutions work consistently.  
Sometimes my project will open, most often it will not.  Super annoying.

Mac 10.15.7 / 2.6 Ghz 6-Core Intel core i7

32 gb RAM

4GB Radeo Pro 560x

Premiere 14.7.0

Project file won't open consistently even if drives are unattached.  

I have:

1) trashed preferences

2) downgraded PP

3) cleared media cache

4) removed all plugins

5) Started a new project, then imported old one.  Sometimes will import and work, sometimes not.  If it does, the new project file has the exact same problem as the old one.

Duplicating the file and renaming has worked a few times, as has opening another project first.  Neither consistently.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having this exact same issue. Opening the Untitled project seems to be working for me (for now). Before that, I was importing the project into a new project each time.

I'm editing on a MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)

2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Premiere Pro 14.8

Has a fix been made for this problem yet? I was on an older Mac last year and switched this January to this new one and just started having this problem a week or two ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ciao, sto riscontrando il tuo stesso problema a differenza che, se apro un nuovo progetto per poi importare quello su cui ho gia iniziato a lavorare, Premiere non riesce a caricarlo e tutto si blocca nuovamente. sono più di 2 settimane che non trovo soluzione. ho provato di tutto.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into this as well.  My solve is to open an "untitled" (new project) that I have just saved to my desktop.  Open then first.  Then while that untitled project is open...double click on your project you want to open.  It seems that if PP is opened already with another project it lets you open the project you are wanting to work on.  Then once my project is open I go to the "untitled project" tab and I close that project.  Many people don't know that you can have multiple projects open at the same time.  Does this make sense?  Works for me every time now, and I don't have to duplicate projects, or rename...or import or any of those hassles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the "untitled project" first.  THEN (while that is still open in PP) open the project you want to work on.  It get's PP open and working first...then it seems to open the project I want with out freezing it during the opening process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES!  I just stumbled across this solution last night as well, literally the exact same steps - untitled project on desktop, open that, and then try opening my project and it loads without an issue.  

Outside of that I have:

1) trashed preferences

2) downgraded PP

3) cleared media cache

4) removed all plugins

5) Started a new project, imported old one.  Sometimes work, but then never opens again.

This is crazy annoying, please look into is Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TOTALLY ANNOYING.  But at least a simple solve to opening everytime.  I hope Adobe fixes this issue soon.  It's been across multiple updates.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this problem for a month or so.

Sometimes trashing prefs helps, sometimes it doesn't.

Sometimes the trick of opening a new project works, sometimes not. Importing into a new project can work, but not always.

Restarting helps... sometimes.

Usually (but not always) opening an auto backup works, (not the most recent one). 

The latest beta seems to work, but the last one didn't.

Well, you get the idea. All in all, I'm finding the app unreliable. I'm starting to teach myself how to use DaVinci Resolve :~{

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so I'm not the only one with this problem.

I've been creating new projects and importing. It doesn't work all the time but after a bunch of tries, it eventually works. Super annoying having to spend hours to just open a project.

Initially I thought it was Red Giant but after doing some tests and disabling red giant, it doesn't seem to be the case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same exact problem. Brand new M1 Pro Macbook. Have been a windows user for years and never ran into this. Now every time I try to open a saved project premiere freezes up. The open empty project then open saved project seems to be a workable fix but seriously? This problem has been around for this long and there isn't a real fix? WOW...Adobe never ceases to amaze me. Ridiculous. Thank you to the people for finding the janky solotuion since adobe would rather be working on useless AI features I'll use once than provide workable, non-embarassing tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2022 Jun 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

workaround not working in 2022.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try closing all your timeline windows before saving. It seems like Premiere freezes up while trying to load up any open sequences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So still happening two years later 😞

Who do we sue for lost revenue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im being serious it feels like not suitable for puropse suit or something similar im in if anyone wants a class action lawsuit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think i solved it. It seems to be a multimonitor workspace issue. Reverting to default single screen workspace lets all projects open smoothly. Entire lost day 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2022 Jun 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

happened to me once: Corrupted mogrt.

It can also be a corrupted video file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 05, 2022 Oct 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to me currently, Production was working fine. Sent projects back and forth between multiple editors.

Now I can't open the project. The workarounds work sometimes but most of the times they dont. 

I'm on a NAS, Ryzen 5900x GTX 3090TI. New projects work fine. But the actual project i need cannot be opened without sorcery. Can we get a fix pelase?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had this issue.  What worked for me disabling VST plugins before opening the problem project. 

Preferences > Audio > Manage Audio Plugins > Disable All

Then I could narrow it down to one specific VST that was causing the freeze on project open, removed it by searching each sequence (CTRL+F) for that effect and deleting the instance, re-save, and now the project opens first time every time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines