• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro freezing on "Save as" and "Save a copy"

New Here ,
Jul 11, 2017 Jul 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The title says it all. Just built a new pc and got the subscription now when I open my old project files(these were also on premiere pro cc but older version) and try to save them as with a different name the program just freezes. I've given it time and even deleted everything from project leaving only the sequence with no other files in project. Still freezes, any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 18, 2018 Feb 18, 2018

I can confirm like others, that it has to do something with Windows Defender. Tried it off and on. Then I got the window with "allow make changes to Adobe Premniere" and since that it works. Hope that helps somebody. Sorry for English.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2017 Dec 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good afternoon. Try importing files through the media browser. I created the project, sequenced and imported the files through the media browser. When you click on save as or save a copy of the program does not hang.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 02, 2018 Feb 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i still think this is related to win 10 and PP, and the way win 10 works with rights management.

Here is another situation that i have:

Let's say i drop some clips on my desktop, and i want to drag and drop them in the PP bin, well, i cannot do that. BUT if i drag those clips using Total Comander for example, that works fine.I am the admin, fresh new install does that. Sometimes i cannot drop files in Chrome for example from File Explorer only Total Commander, but sometimes it works.Just like PP does, when for example i double click in a bin, to open the explorer to import some clips or some xml file, it just freezes, i have to kill PP then restart and do the same thing over and over until it actually opens the Explorer window.

Even happens for example when i create a timeline and export XML for plural eyes to sync, that works fine, but when i double click to open explorer window and import the synced XML file, it doesn't work. So the paths are not relevant here, because PP in this case already knows where everything is. Sometimes i have to kill PP 6 times until it finally can open the explorer window

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW some crazy good with programming guy from russia once told me, regarding his launcher for a video game called Assetto Corsa, that setting programs to run as admin in win 10 is BAD, and i should never do it, and he said something about some persmissions get messed up in the folders that those apps access and he gave me a link to some software that fixes those permissions and everything gets back to normal. But i haven't got a chance to play with that, but i will look him up again and see if that makes something good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so this did not help, and i thought it will, because i think premiere runs in admin even if it's not actually set like that in the compatibility settings, which fights windows 10's will it does not like app running as admin, This might be the problem, and that app i walk saying about, it fixed NTFS files and folders permissions, in case some apps ran as admin and messed that up. All that made no difference, because i think PP runs as admin all the time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate to spam this post, but i just remembered there is another issue like this, in the Export Media window, when clicking on the file name, the explorer window always opens, so no freezing there, BUT i can only chose a path that is already in the window, like in the pic below. As you can see my WORK Hdd is not in there so i need to go to This PC and go to my Work drive, but that's when the window freezes, not PP, just that window, and i can only hit Cancel, then try again 2-3 times max and after that i can actually open that This PC link. If that help with anything

Screenshot_2.png

And you would think that, some of the external drives go to sleep and until they wake up, there is that small freeze time, but it's not that, because the second time i try it, still freezes and the drive were waken up by the first attempt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2018 Feb 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have had this problem for a long time and its still present in the current version. Today I had to kill Premiere 8 times to get it to open the Explorer window. Also there is the same problem with Export to XML. Explorer does not open and even when it opens (I cannot describe it correctly) it offers me to save the entire project as XML, which returns error in Resolve, when I try the second time, it offers me correctly the sequence (not the entire Premiere project!!) and in that case the exported XML is correct in Resolve.

I dont even try to use the SAVE AS command, Frustrating !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 11, 2018 Feb 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somehow for the last 3 days this never happened to me at all. All i changed was to disable the firewall and i used some software to monitor all the processes on my pc, to check where pp hangs when opening explorer. But since i started monitoring the damn thing never froze. I'll keep testing and posting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this problem.  9 out of 10 times when I try to access File Explorer through Premiere it freezes.  Whether I am attempting to 'Save As' or just using the 'browse' feature to access a LUT.  It is beyond annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it's happening to me too right now too. Saving makes my project file freeze and this is the first time it has happened. I worked for 3 days straight on this project file to just give up on me. Restarted 5x already. My specs are not at fault because I have a 6950X @ 4.2, 32 gigs of ram and a 512GB NVMe M.2. Disabled antivirus and Windows Firewall. Still the same. This is definitely Premiere's fault.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, its all prmeiere, don't bother trying anything else anymore

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. So I fixed it lol. I updated to the newest build and tadah. Problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just wait for it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

best solution for me, when the program freeze after save as, i click the windows button then click restart computer after that it says closing 2 apps and shutting down there are 2 buttons - shut down anyway or cancel -, i click the cancel than back to the premiere ta da the dialog is save changes to 'bla bla' before closing? now u can recover your project 😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a brilliant workaround, if it works.... Will try that next time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A nice workaround if it works indeed.  Hope that's not the only solution we find though....Adobe.....lookin' at you.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saved me.  Thanks!!

Adobe- please fix this problem!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saw this thread for the first time and thought I was the only one having this issue. It's plagued me for years with Premiere, and just happened again yesterday and today in the newest version. I used to think it was my old highpoint raids, but I'm not using them anymore.

On my system, it happens with "save as" or "save a copy" when the file selector box pops open. It never populates with anything. On one or two occasions it opened, but didn't show any drives.

CTRL + S never seems to fail, so I always make sure I do that before attempting a "Save a copy" or "save as."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2018 Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have no idea how much of a headache you just saved.  Finally something that actually works to fix the problem.  Why this is a problem...well...Adobe please, please fix this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2018 Feb 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got the same problem. This makes it unable to keep a good workflow for my work projects. This needs to be fixed ASAP!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2018 Feb 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm like others, that it has to do something with Windows Defender. Tried it off and on. Then I got the window with "allow make changes to Adobe Premniere" and since that it works. Hope that helps somebody. Sorry for English.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Adobe Premiere freezes to death on "save as...".

Adobe, can you please fix the problem? It's not free software. 2018 and still nothing. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2018 Mar 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had same issue, driving me nuts, solved it by allowing prememiere pro through windows defender firewall

... but it shouldnt be a fix. This is a workaround, Adobe FIX please!

Normally, if a product doesnt work, i expect to pay less, and your software is not cheap!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After one year freezing whenever you open any file dialog window - even when compressing and choosing destination. I am so pissed off, that I stop using Premiere immediately. And I dont want to hear any stupid question like whats your configuration and so on. In thitrty years I never experienced software that would do this. You edit, make your precious time, than unfortunately doubleclick the bin to open one last file and it freezes and your work is gone. Hope others are more lucky and dont get this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's hardly conclusive, but I have not noticed this particular error since I uninstalled a bunch of crap from my computer.

Windows comes pre-loaded with garbage like Candy Crush Saga, a Minecraft demo, and more.

Go to Apps & Features, scroll down the list, and uninstall everything you don't absolutely need.

I also uninstalled a codec pack -- these are apparently especially bad for Premiere. It's better to download codecs one at a time if you really need them.

I had also allowed Premiere through my firewall, as others have suggested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Side note, I've also been quitting Premiere entirely between projects.  It's just a magical belief of mine that it improves stability. Maybe it does.

And I DON'T have multiple projects open at a time except in rare circumstances.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines