Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro keeps crashing whole PC

New Here ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I'm considering switching away from Premiere pro for this problem alone. Once I start editing, it will take about 10 minutes before my whole main monitor goes black and my whole PC goes unresponsive. I have to force shutdown my PC by holding the power button to get out of this state. Editing is simply impossible in this state. I have never had this problem until about two months ago.

My specs are:
GPU: AMD Radeon RX6700XT (Driver version 22.8.2, the latest)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X

Ram: 32GB 3600 DDR4 Memory

I am also running the latest Premiere Pro version, 22.6.2, although I have had this problem on other versions too.
I hope someone has a solution to this problem. I am unable to finish any of my projects with this problem in place.
Thanks in advance

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is very odd. Yowza.

I'm running a 3960x build by Puget, with a 2080Ti, and getting awesome playback. What's the diff?

If you set your Project option for Mercury Acceleration to Software only, does the problem go away? If so, then it's the GPU that is at issue somehow. That's the first troubleshooting step I'd take.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried both render settings, GPU and software. Both have this problem.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried the Adobe CC Cleaner tool?

That ancient DOS-window type utility completely removes the app chosen from the computer/registry/everything. It's the "clean" way to start over, and typically the main fix for something this drastic.

Neil

Adobe CC Cleaner Tool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes,
I cleaned everything and fully reinstalled Adobe Creative Cloud and Premiere Pro today.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the Adobe CC Cleaner tool? I ask, because it's fairly common for users to think the uninstall via either the CC Desktop app or the OS uninstall options is the same thing ... which neither are even close.

So, just making sure.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I downloaded the tool and removed everything using the console window of the cleaner tool. After that I downloaded Creative Cloud, logged in and started downloading Premiere Pro and After effects. I've also had this problem with Photoshop in the past. It only happens with Adobe software, no other software.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that's a major pain where the sun don't shine for sure. Dang.

@Kevin-Monahan  ... any ideas?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2022 Sep 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After cleaning and reinstalling once again, I was able to work for about 2-3 hours before it now starts happening every 10 minutes again. I have collected a log file using the Log Collector Tool. Do I just upload that here? I don't really know if it can contain sensitive information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 18, 2022 Sep 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely post on their UserVoice system, in full details, and list the availability of the log files.

And we'll see if someone else hops in here.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think that this has something to do with AMD itself depreciating OpenCL support in newer drivers. OpenCL support will be completely discontinued in a future AMD Adrenalin driver release. And when that occurs, Premiere Pro will become permanently locked to the software-only MPE mode (no GPU acceleration whatsoever with a discrete AMD Radeon GPU) unless Adobe decides to instead support what will replace OpenCL for GPGPU processing on AMD GPUs.

And that is not to mention that OpenCL 2.1 (the most recent OpenCL version that's supported in the latest AMD GPUs) and its immediate OpenCL 2.0 predecessor have always been problematic with Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines