Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro Lag/delay

Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody,

Recently, I bought a new macbook pro (m1-chip) (8GB) (256GB SSD), and for some reason I suddenly got lag/delay issues when editing.

Situation

The problem doesn't arise when using the .mov Quicktime screenrecording files, but when I convert it to a .mp4 file and then import it into the project. However, I need to convert the .mov file or else it will look pixely or lag (did not happen on my macbook air (2014) though). 

Problem

When I press start/stop there is a couple seconds lag or delay (see halfway screen recording). 

Tried

-Handbrake (constant frame rate)

-GPU

-Memory 

-Reduce quality

-Many other things...

Can someone help me out? Thanks in advance!

Kr René

TOPICS
Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

I finally found the solution to this problem! Check out this video, it's exactly the problem and solution!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhBUnxtuw4Y

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've added another screen recording to make it more clear (still not the worse example).

Even clicking the play button causes lag/freeze. 

Also Tried

-Proxies

-Render in & out

-Media Cache

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this happen in any other projects?

It might be best to find out a way to avoid converting the .mov files.

• What codec does your screen recording program wrap in those .mov files? Use the free MediaInfo to examine them.
  • Also check for frame size, frame rate, etc.
  • Make sure your pr sequence matches the properties of the screen recording .mov files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your reply! 

• I've got no technical and tag data expertise. I don't have any idea what codec means, nor do I know what to do with the outcome. 
  • The .mp4 file is 30fps > sequence settings 29,97fps. Frame size: 1920 / 1080 (always have been). I've set the display format on: 29,79fps non-drop-frame timecode, and preview file format: I-frame Only MPEG. 
  • Do I need to download MediaInfo to check the properties of the screen recording.mov files?

Kr René

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do I need to download MediaInfo to check the properties of the screen recording.mov files?

Yes, please. Then embed a screenshot here in a post, of the Tree view of MediaInfo that displays the video information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2021 Mar 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff, 

Thanks for your reply. Tomorrow, I'll first try to make a screenrecording with quicktime on my macbook pro screen instead of my 24 inch Philips monitor. Perhaps that's the solution. If not, I'll try 'set on frame size' in Adobe Premiere Pro. If that's not working out, I'll purchase MediaInfo from the App store. It's a good idea to avoid converting the .mov file like you suggested earlier on. I keep you posted! 

Kr René

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

Ok, my first two options did not work. In Adobe Premiere Pro (see attached 10-second video) you can see 3 moments of lag/freeze in a 10 second video (1) mouse is left behind in 2nd second, (2) mouse lagg in the seventh second when I click on the Layout tab, (3) extra shadow / black rectangular shape when clicking the margins drop down menu in the ninth second.  

I purchased MediaInfo and here is the screenshot of the .mov file:

Screenshot 2021-03-07 at 11.05.47.png

Any suggestions, advise or solution is greatly appreciated!

Kr René

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MediaInfo says your source video file is 60 fps. Your Pr settings are all 30fps. There's some processing involved in making the framerate change. However, most newer computers should be able to handle that processing smoothly.

Data transfer speed is a possible bottleneck.  Are the original screen recording MOV files stored on a spinning hard disk or on an SSD? Full HD at 60 fps requires very fast storage.

Also, would you please embed your videos instead of linking to them so we don't have to download unknown files? Thanks!

PleaseEmbedImages.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff, 

Thanks for your reply. The original screen recording MOV files are stored on my hard disk. Should I buy an external hard drive? If so, which one would you recommend? Alright, will do that! Do you still want me to embed something? Thanks for your help.

Kr René

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rene,

(Sorry about the missing accent aigu.) 😀

The original screen recording MOV files are stored on my hard disk

Is the hard disk the one inside the MacBook Pro? If so, it's an SSD and an external drive won't help at all.

Do you still want me to embed something?

Please embed the videos that show the problem. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

I mean the SSD then :'). 

Here you go! 

"you can see 3 moments of lag/freeze in a 10 second video (1) mouse is left behind in 2nd second, (2) mouse lagg in the seventh second when I click on the Layout tab, (3) extra shadow / black rectangular shape when clicking the margins drop down menu in the ninth second."

The lag/freeze errors might seem duable, but with clips of 30 minutes it loaded with many of these. It reduces the quality big time. 

Kr René

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I notice most is that the video is horribly blurry for the first 6 seconds.

Is the original like that or is it a result of YouTube encoding/strreaming?

I would also try to make your screen recordings using 15 fps and see if that removes the lag and artifacts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that's because of Youtube encoding the file. As far as I know, I can't change the fps directly in Quicktime. Doing a quick search in Google, people suggest iMovie to change the frame rate and then export it using Quicktime. If that's the solution, it would decrease the workflow though.

Perhaps I should accept that Quicktime is not a good screenrecording software in combination with Premiere Pro? Final Cut Pro X has no issues importing Quicktime files,  but I prefer to edit with Adobe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

**My next post below outlines a way to fix this at no additional cost.**

For less than the cost of a new hard drive, you could get Camtasia by TechSmith. It's what I use for my screen recording. Free trial available.

Snagit is also available from TechSmith and it has a less-capable screen recorder than Camtasia. I use Snagit for my screenshots. Free trial available.

OBS Studio is free, open-source software that can do screen recordings.

Screenflow is a Mac-only recording and editing software package. Free trial available.

You could also look at Adobe Captivate, but I believe it is an additional subscription cost. Free trial available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried OBS, exported the screenrecording as a MP4 file (30FPS) and it has huge delays again...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to email a reply earlier but was not successful. It may show up later.

I was able to duplicate your lag & delay on my 2019 16" MacBook Pro using Quicktime Player as the screen recording software. I was also able to solve the problem with free tools.

• The screen recording produced by QT Player is variable frame rate (VFR). That's why it stuttters and lags in Pr.
  • Converting the recording to constant frame rate (CFR) in Handbrake produces an mp4 file that plays and edits beautifully in Pr.
  • The disconnect is probably the encoding settings in Handbrake. Let's work through those:
    • I set the dimensions to something usable for screen or web viewing: 1920x1080, or Full HD.
    • 2021-03-08_14-04-34.png
    • Then I turned off all the Filters:
    • 2021-03-08_14-04-52.png
    • Then I set the video parameters as follows. I kept the original 59.94fps frame rate:
    • 2021-03-08_14-05-29.png
    • This is what the summary looked like before I started the conversion:
    • 2021-03-08_14-06-20.png

I hope you find these settings useful. Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff, 

Thanks for the reply and information. 

"The screen recording produced by QT Player is variable frame rate (VFR). That's why it stuttters and lags in Pr." I'm now 100% sure it has to do with the frames/second. When I create a new project and import the screenrecording, the sequence settings are automatically set 58,14fps instead of my previous default settings of (29,97) and I see no lag, just in de beginning (2nd second) the mouse freezes (and doubles), just like in the 10 second video. So, this might work out. Tomorrow, I'll check if my video files with 29,97fps work together with the screenrecording. By the way, those visuals you posted, is that MediaInfo? I don't see the menu (dimensions, filters, summary etc). 

Thanks again, and keep you posted. 

Kind regards, 

René

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rene,

Those screenshots are the settings in Handbrake that you need to convert the VFR screen recording from QT Player to a CFR mp4 file that Pr will like. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff, 

Unfortunately, I still noticed a lot of bugs when using the .mov, and after converting to a CFR mp4 file like you suggested, I experience the same lag as mentioned in the beginning. I guess the only solution it to switch to a different screenrecording software. I consider purchasing Camtasia...

Kr René

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the exact issue that I face: 

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/42755393-screen-recording-o...

I'm curious if it has to do with macOS...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Speaking of macOS, consider using to the format designed for editing on both your software and your hardware.  That is, use Apple ProRes MOV instead of H264 MP4.  Transcode your screen recordings to ProRes, set your Sequence Video Previews to ProRes, and export to ProRes.  You'll also be taking advantage of Smart Rendering in Premiere Pro.  Then encode your ProRes edited master to whatever you need for delivery.

If you're really tight on drive space, use ProRes422 Proxy, but ProRes422 LT is ideal for editing screen recordings.

Also download the Apple Silicon beta of Adobe Media Encoder.. It's been optimized for encoding Apple ProRes on an M1 and the encode times are significantly faster than the Intel version (significantly).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under your program monitor wrench icon, can you try unchecking High Quality Playback and see if that helps?

Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 2.10.17 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your suggestion, but this one was already unchecked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally found the solution to this problem! Check out this video, it's exactly the problem and solution!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhBUnxtuw4Y

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent find!

Pr on my MacBook Pro doesn't have the H.264/HEVC settings at all, and nothing for hardware encoding. Here's what my media prefs look like:

PrMediaPrefs.jpg

I'm sorry I couldn't give you better help. I never would have arrived at that solution, or even known to troubleshoot it. 😀

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines