• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro lost 4 hours of my work

Explorer ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last night/early this morning, I finished about 4 hours of work. I backed up the containing directory (to a different HDD).

This morning I discovered that the latest project file did not contain those last 4 hours. This is the second time something like this happened. From now on I'll aim to snapshot a big project every 1-2 hours.

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, the backup on the other HDD had the same problem. Specifically, the latest project file showed date/time modified as about 4 hours before the point when I stopped working on PP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How were you backing up JA? I use Auto Save and Edit > Duplicate to build up my backups. You must choose File > Save before backing up. Did you do that? Sorry if I do not understand your process.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was doing Alt/File/Save As every so often. That of course went to the directory of the video. I'll take a look at Auto Save and Edit/Duplicate.

By "backup" I meant I used robocopy (this is on Windows) to copy ("mirror," strictly speaking) the whole directory to a different HDD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I took a quick look at Edit/Duplicate. This appears to be a method to make a copy of part of a video ("clip") and paste the copy somewhere else on the timeline. I don't see how that would help in my case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JA,

Sorry to confuse some terminology. Edit > Duplicate inside of Premiere Pro is for backing up sequences. 

I meant to say that you can right-click on the project file in Finder or Explorer and choose Duplicate. That will back up your project file. Similarly, File > Save As can work to back up project files, but I prefer to Save A Copy.

Preferences > Auto Save is where you can adjust how often backups are made. Check the box to save a backup to your Creative Cloud folder. That has saved me before. Project Settings > Scratch Disks is where to choose where you can save Auto Saves.

Automatic backups can sometimes be unpredictable, so duplicating or saving copies of project files is done as a fail-safe.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Windows 10 File Explorer, there is no Duplicate. What does work, however, is to right-click Copy and then right-click Paste in the directory (or wherever one wants); if one pastes in the same directory, one gets a new file named "whatever - Copy.prproj," which is good enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry about that. I don't have access to my Windows machine today. Glad copy/paste works for you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines