Premiere Pro overheats Computer

New Here ,
Jul 23, 2022 Jul 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been struggling to get to the issue of why premiere isn't running properly on my macbook pro.

Info: macOS Big Sur, version 11.6.1.

Processor: 2.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7.

Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics: Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

I feel like it's a card issue, but I don't know. I just know it overheats very easily in the beginning stages of editing. 

TOPICS
Editing , Hardware or GPU , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your air intake or exhaust plugged with dust?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2022 Jul 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think so, but who knows? Do you know the best way to clean the fans? 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to Peru Bob's suggestions,

Are your MacBook Pro's fans running at full speed when you experience overheating? You should hear quite a bit of fan noise. If not, it may indicate one of them has failed? There's only one fan if you have a 13 inch MacBook (I think?), 2 fans in 15 inch and above.

And when you say 'overheating' - is Premiere Pro crashing or just seemingly slowing down. Is your Mac crashing?

Keep in mind Intel MacBook Pros can run pretty hot and when they do they will throttle the processor quite significantly to handle the heat and also stop using Turbo Boost. Therefore - you will see a drop in performance when this happens.

If you have a case on the MacBook - take it off and see if there's any improvement. Ensure nothing your Mac is sitting on is blocking your fan ports.

An aging battery 'can' add to the thermal load on a laptop. Your battery should still be OK if it's had normal use - but something to consider. Test with it connected to power and see if any change.

Run Apple Diagnostics on your laptop - reboot holding 'D' key. Often this won't show any problems but worth doing anyway.

Consider upgrading your Mac to the latest version of Big Sur (Which I think is 11.6.8?)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other thing - ensure you have the latest firmware for your particular model. I vaguely recall some thermal issues with some MacBooks of your era and there may have been a firmware update to resolve (or reduce) the issue.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2022 Jul 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the 15 inch screen, so I should have two fans I guess. 

Premiere slows down completley, where even my mouse lags between clicks. It hasn't crashed yet, just lags a lot. 

I have had Big Sur for about a year now but I wasnt to say that's when I started having issues with the software. I keep my projoects and files on my hard drive to give my computer more space. 

It easily overheats when I begin editing and when I do playback. Am I storaging footage wrong somehow where it forces the software to work extra hard? 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines