Premiere Pro Playback Issues after Monterey Update

Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, before monterey update no issues.

After I updated my macbook pro, prem pro and ae run much slower and when adding effects to prem pro videos, i cant view them in playback anymore as the black screen of death ruins my life :-)!!

I changed from mercury playback engine gpu acceleration (metal) acceleration to the playback engine software only but the effects ive used need the mercury playback.  

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, this may be an apple issue but i dont have a clue!?

Cheers

Jez

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Moderator moved from Using the Community (forums) to Premier Pro.]

Nancy O'Shea, Adobe Product User & Community Professional
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do the Apple computers have the same issues as the Windows PCs? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyFu9vhOuHI

This video demonstrates issues with Adobe's Mercury Playback Engine.Adobe Creative Cloud: https://amzn.to/33rTUTYLink is monetized. Link to Adobe website b...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, thanks for the video it was great and yeah my macbook pro is having similar but worse issues.  I guess my laptop isnt as powerful as the one in the video but even at 1/4 res and not high quality if i add effects to my videos then playback is a no go.  

I just learned that rendering the effects and transisitions is good practise so tried that to no avail unfortunately.

I then thought because i started a project and then updated my mac to monterey that that was the issue.  So i started a new project with just the video i wanted to do the effects too in a new whole project after the update and same issue, playback screen goes black or strobe like issue and then i just thought it was the playback, so exported it and it was a mess. 

I will answer the below question with further info if you're interested, cheers 🙂

Jez

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird, MrIncurious. I am not having such issues. Can you give us more info about your system and media? Hope I can help.

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Keving, thanks for your reply, sure.

i answered some stuff in the above reply if that helps.

So my system is a macbook pro 13" 2017 - 2.5GHz dual-core intel core i7 - 16GB 2133 MHz, Memory - Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB - Monterey 12.3.1

Media is a mixture of mp4, mov, wav, mp3 and then ive been adding transitions (prem pro inbuilt ones) and effects (also prem pro inbuilt ones), i do have yellow and red bars at the top but have started to render in and out effects/trans but still hasnt helped the issue when i try to use these effects in combination on a single video - Ultra key effect removing green background / Find edges effects / Alpha glow effects / extract effect / then i nest the video and dublicate the video in the nest / then track matte key effect / tint effect / here is where the system struggles (in my current project and in a fresh new project with just this video and its dublications and effects) / but then when i then try to add vr glow for final effect the black screen happens in play back and it various, either flashing like a strobe and the video wont play but will appear as a freeze frame or just pure black screen.

my comp fan goes mental and i have to keep clearing the ram through cleanmymac X, the cpu load skyrockets and i though i would just render and export the video as ive applied the effetcs it should be ok if i cant see thr playback but the final product is all glitchy and messy and not what the effects are suppsoe to do.

i am veryt new to pro and may be im missing some vital steps and/or there could be a deeper issue as others have reported issues too.

cheers, Jez

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin*, sorry 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ps.

It seems to be whenever I add the Alpha Glow effect that the playback stops working.

I just unistalled PP and it's still happening

cheers

Jez

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is everything fine after rendering the effect, Jez? Let me know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Kevin,

No im still getting serious lag on the effects that require gpu acceleration.  Pro has even crashed 3 times since.  I have the reports saved if that would help?

I had an adobe employee log onto my machine remotely and they tried a few things and got the playback working.  However I was trying out an effect for the first time via a youtube tutorial, I told them the wrong effect that was causing the lag so we only sorted the Alpha Glow effect and playback issues but its the VR Glow playback thats really bad.

I think theres an issue with the scratch files and maybe my external harddrive.

after i updated to moneterey i had the scratch disk error pop up alot and then i couldnt save my project to the origianl location on my external harddrive.  I had to save to my laptop, then relocate all the media, also the autosave changed to my desktop and theres a preview file on my desktop too.  

So i just renamed the file and saved to desktop

the weird thing is that my main project has gpu acceleration effects in it already from before i updated to monterey that playback fine its just if i add any more to that main project its messes up.

I started a new project with 1 video, duplicated and the effects added and it still messes up.

It could be im a noob and im overloading pro with layers and fx?! diff file types, diff fps etc, its a mystery to me but i cant use pro like this as it stands.

any assistance would be hugely appreciated as my week has been consumed by this.

Cheers Jez

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines