• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro plugin to recreate *cataract* effect

Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an oil droplet cataract in one eye, and I see "super bokeh" through it: Especially in dappled sunlight, any small spots of light, or well-lit objects, will appear as an orb of bokeh. In fact, rather than a simple orb it looks more like a crystal ball, translucent, with a single colour blended from the prevalent colour of the light. Where there are lots of light spots, there can be dozens, or maybe hundreds of stacked balls - imagine hanging grapes or frogspawn.

I bought a broken camera lens and tried to modify it; to distort it in an equivalent way, but I didn't manage it.

Please does anyone have knowledge of any Premiere Pro effect plugins that can find the light spots of a video and then generate bokeh orbs from them? That would get me most of the way there and I'd be really happy. I imagine it would be quite CPU intensive.

I've also wondered about writing scripts for After Effects - I have a tiny bit of knowledge of JavaScripting for Photoshop, but no knowledge of After Effects.

I walk around in the early evenings in the woods, and it's like being inside a painting. Soon I will have an operation to remove the cataract, and whilst this is the best course of action, I know I am going to miss my zany eyesight. To be able to recreate it would be wonderful - I'd like to be able to show people.

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you needed to do this in Premiere then what you can do is take your footage and put it in a sequence. Make a copy of that video but holding the alt key and dragging it above the first instance of the footage in the sequence.

Do this to the track 2 footage:

Apply a levels effect. Crush the blacks, bring the whites up.

Apply the tint effecct to desaturate some or completely

Apply the camera blur effect. Maybe set to level 20 or so

Apply another levels effect and set the track to blend in screen mode.

With that last levels effect, adjust the intensity as needed. Hopefully that works well for you. Simple, maybe not quite precise, but it should be close I think (no experience on my end of what you're seeing though)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Graeme I really appreciate your suggestion and instructions. I'm attaching a preview of where I got to, showing independent tracks before assembling them at the end.

It's going in the right direction with the quality of the colour and the general zanyness, but I'm trying to make the out-of-focus light appear in circles somehow. I'll keep trying and will experiment with other footage too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines