• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro project files have disappeared from everywhere!

Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro project files have disappeared from everywhere! not available in auto-save. please tell me how to foud and recover that.

TOPICS
Crash , Editing , Error or problem , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell us your system specs: OS version, Premiere version, amount of RAM, Hardware specs including graphics card.  Do a system wide search (not from within premiere) for ".prproj"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

window 10 pro N,

version 10.0.19042

ram: 16gb

premiere pro 14.0.0 (build 571)

graphic card: nvidia geforce 1050ti

(also wide searched)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Project files dont just disappear on the own.

Must have done something or not.

Make a habit of Save a Copy to another drive.

FAQ: When to use "Save A Copy," or "Save As," and ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you save them to an external drive that is not now connected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, I save that project in an external drive but that project is not there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look in the internal and external drives' Recycle Bin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Already Checked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the Project settings dialog for where it saved the project, and where the auto-saves go.

And of course, when searching via file managers, you're searching for *.prproj files.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also do that..but this is not a solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No solution for this topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using a file recovery software, see if you can find a trace of your project file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there one you would reccommend?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oddly enough, this recently happened to me. A slew of recent Premiere Pro Project files simply vanished — nothing in autosave. Nothing in any trash bins. Nothing within the last few months shows up in a search. It is as if the project files never even existed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terrible experience

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2023 Jun 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just happened to me and I AM FURIOUS. I was working remotely (with the physical device) and saved it on my 2023 Mac Mini. Went home to continue working on it 30 minutes later and it was all gone! Nothing in auto save and the recent projects were from last week. An entire week's worth of work just VANISHED. I lost 50 hours of work in 30 minutes and I'm seering! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 19, 2023 Jun 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I strongly doubt this has anything to do with Premiere per se, projects do not simply disappear on their own.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2023 Jun 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have you done a system wide search for files with .prproj in their name?   Don't know what's happened on your system, but you should always save your project on a different physical drive from your autosave folder.    Not sure I understand what you mean by "I was working remotely (with the physical device)."    Here's my workflow which has worked without issue on both mac and windows.  All media is stored on an external drive which is backed up on a regular basis.  My autosave folder is on that external drive.  My autosave interval is set to 5 minutes.  The premiere project file is saved on my startup drive to a folder that is automatically mirrored on dropbox.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing just happened to me.  Started to export my completed project, the iMac crashed and upon reboot there is none of my recent project files.  Anything in the autosave is from a week ago.  Usually even just booting Premiere Pro and choose Open Recent would work but nothing shows up.  It literally erased several copies of my saved project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 05, 2023 Jul 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you "Community Experts" always in here never giving any solutions and blaming people about premieres problems. It's WELL KNOWN that premiere crashes DAILY for everyone yet you pretend it's flawless. "What are your system specs?" like that matters? Everyone has good PC's. We shouldn't have to worry about a program completely eating all of our files. I literally have to CTRL-S after every move I make in fear of losing work XD. I'm pretty sure you community experts work for adobe and you're soley here to put the blame on users instead of Adobe. When all they need to do is fix the programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 05, 2023 Jul 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jordan,

I understand your frustrations. But I also have enough experience with Premiere, AfterEffects, Resolve, and other apps for over a decade, that in looking at your comments, I may note some misperceptions.

And yes, I've had crashes at times, and buggy versions that I couldn't update to for 3-4 months at a time. Not often though.

First, Premiere doesn't crash daily for everyone. It simply wouldn't have several million daily users if it did. This is not to say a certain percentage of users aren't getting repeat crashes ... it only says that most don't.

And given the massive number of users, a small percentage of daily users can still be a rather large group of people.

I use Premiere hours a day, have for over a decade. I rarely get crashes. And mostly those were in a couple builds that I didn't use for very long. I know a lot of other users that don't get crashes, I know some who've had a ton. Both experiences are "real" and yet very different.

Second, as someone for whom troubleshooting is a big part of my capabilities set, "input data" is huge. Knowing every scrap of potential data is a large part of sifting through some odd behavior to sort out why X person has it but A, Q, Z, and Y don't have it.

Which means all the hardware data, all the media used, all effects or third party plugins/whatever, all steps leading up to the odd behavior need be gathered so you can figure out how to recreate the behavior.

Being as on most machines, that behavior isn't happening.

And further, as someone who's been trying to help other users for years, from the experience of thousands  of posts here, on the LGG forum, the BlackMagic forums, and elsewhere ... an awful lot of what a user had  initially assumed as "buggy" was simply from not understanding how the app functions on that computer.

More of those actually than actual buggy behavior. And that holds true whether one deals with Premiere, AfterEffects, Audition, Resolve, or whatever.

So no ... Ann and the other volunteers like me around here don't shill for Adobe. They've got enough money to do their own promo work.

We do try and provide practical help to get other users functioning to get jobs done. Whether it's user misunderstanding or bugs is almost irrelevant to that. What we want is simply to get people working again right now.

No matter what Adobe does or doesn't do. And yes, it can be truly maddening how long some bug fixes take to get rolled out. NO question there.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2024 Jan 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Delusional answer. Just google "adobe premiere all projects gone" and you get SO many results. Every "Expert" does the same copy paste answer with no sulotion. "Gathering data" they call it and blaming users for deleting ^^ Since "Premiere can't do anything wrong" 

Hope you guys shape up in the future, this is a real problem and the people is not to blame but the product, period.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not dismissing your experience, but the problem may be an operating system problem rather than a premiere problem.   I taught avid editing for a number of years at a college in NYC.  I quickly learned that many of the students had virtually no knowledge of basic computer skills which can be very important if you're dependant on your computer for your livelihood.  

First of all, for the most part, people posting here are just other users, not adobe employees.  And we're just trying to help.  It's never easy to troubleshoot from a distance particularly when many people post incomplete information about their system.   I've been working intensively in Premiere for over 8 years (after working in avid and fcp 1-7) and have never seen this behavior. I try and monitor this forum on a regular basis (which I strongly recommend for all Premiere users) and when you do that, you quickly learn who are the experienced and trustworthy participants here.  And as far as I know, none of them have reported this happening to them.    That, to me, is a clue that there may be something going on when this problem occurs that may not be solely the fault of Premiere.

That said, I've described my workflow for saving Premiere projects earlier in this thread, and recommend you adopt something similar to prevent this happening again.  This workflow is a preventative measure that I've adopted from reading about this happening on this forum... but I've never experienced this happening to me...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Adobe Premiere for over 10 years, and I've never personally experienced this problem. However, I have friends who have encountered this issue, and I am perplexed by the responses from the 'experts.' (Note: I never stated that they work for Adobe) I find their advice unhelpful and their tone condescending. I don't appreciate it when people are treated unfairly and portrayed as ignorant, especially when the problem clearly doesn't lie with them. This issue doesn't seem to exist with other software, and one shouldn't have to be an expert to prevent their files and settings from being removed, only to be made a fool of on top of that.

While I appreciate everyone trying to help and get to the root of the problem, blaming users for not backing up files in specific locations on multiple drives instead of addressing the issue, which shouldn't occur in the first place, is disheartening. Nevertheless, thank you for your reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines