• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro rendering very slow. Not using GPU even though configured to use Hardware Encoding

Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe community. I've read through several threads regarding rendering slowness, but swear this is different! 🙂 I have a new computer build that is a monster, and I have run benchmark tests and all are within the acceptable range. I rendered a 15 minute 4K video with the same configuration as I use on an older machine but it's taking 2x to 3x as long, e.g. it's taking over 60 minutes to render. On my older build, Premiere Pro uses the GPU, but on this new build it does not.

Computer build

• Motherboard: ROG Strix X570-E Gaming AMD4 Architecture
  • CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x
  • GPU: XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT
  • Memory: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 4 x 16GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM
  • Storage: 2 x WD_BLACK 2TB SN850 SSD (Gen4 PCIe, M.2 2280); one is used for read, and the other for OS and writes

Notes

• Motherboard and GPU drivers are up-to-date
  • Reading 4K .mp4 from drive M: and writing to drive C:
  • When rendering, I see barely any disk activity, and barely (if any) GPU activity; however, CPU usage is around 50%
  • The Renderer: under Video Rendering and Playback in Project Settings is set to Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (OpenCL)
  • During benchmark tests, GPU shows activity.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! If you need more information about the setup / configuration, please let me know and I will provide.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Export , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is "Video Rendering and Playback" set to in the General Project Settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Renderer: under Video Rendering and Playback in Project Settings is set to Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (OpenCL)

2021-08-12_20-41-46.png

See under Notes from previous email for other details as well.

Thanks for responding.

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you should run a standard benchmark test to compare.

what was your older processor and gpu?

i'm guessing your old cpu had h.264 accelerated decoding build in. it used to be enabled under "Enable Intel H.264 acceleration decoding"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did your old system have Nvenc or Quick Sync? There is a difference between GPU acceleration and GPU encoding and decoding. The video  below might be helpful. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L-erwmRxAU

This video demonstrates how to enable GPU acceleration and GPU encoding and decoding. It also shows how to enable Intel's Quick Sync. Resolve https://amzn.to/3NcL1zP Adobe CC 1 year https://amzn.to/3Da0qMN All links are monetized.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you go to Preferences > Media, are the options for H264/H265 hardware accelerated decoding and H264/H265 hardware accelerated encoding available?  If so, are they enabled?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

H264/HEVC hardware accelerated decoding / encoding are both enabled. Thanks for responding!

Yobik_0-1628875699433.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you considered using a CODEC that supports Premiere Pro Smart Rendering?

If you're creating content for YouTube or social media, I would go with Apple ProRes422 LT.  

If you're creating content for broadcast or cable, I would go with Apple ProRes422 HQ.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I render to H.264 for social media. I don't have any issues and Nvenc and Quick Sync can export the H.264 real quick.  The H.264 video codec will create a small file that will be just fine for achiving. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You ever figure this out? I have nearly identical specs with the exception of a 3080 and it is extremely, painfully slow with even the simplest of video editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Steven,

Thanks for the note. What kind of footage are you using? Is it 4K H.264? Is it 10-bit 4:2:2? Any additional info would be helpful for solving your case.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines